main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Great River - The problem with the "the new EU"... A haven for Legends fans.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kypsolo, Sep 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith_Sword

Sith_Sword Jedi Master

Sep 23, 2004
    I'm more of an observer than a poster so at least I don't have to "cringe" looking at old posts....basically because there aren't any !!

2. Good_News_Nobody

Good_News_Nobody Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 4, 2011
    Wow, first post since Sep 24, 2004?
    You truly love to lurk in shadows.

3. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Well were going to be okay, because believe it or not we already know 70% of the story of the movie. It is all a mash up of the old EU

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    There's something immensely depressing to me about this attitude.

There's only ever been 7 stories told. It's all been done. There's nothing new under the sun etc....

Except there is. There is so damn much, quit the cynicism already.

Dante1120 likes this.
  5. Good_News_Nobody

Apr 4, 2011
    My head is spinning! So which one of you, lads, is on my side?

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Depends. I'm not altogether on anybody's side because no one is altogether on my side!

Gamiel and Iron_lord like this.
  7. Good_News_Nobody

Apr 4, 2011
    But you both like the old EU?

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Not sure who else you're referring to, I was talking purely for myself.

Of course I like the old EU! I started reading it with HTTE and DE way back in 1992! I simply don't see any reason to render it either-or with regard to the new stuff.

9. Good_News_Nobody

Apr 4, 2011
    But so does vong333, right? I think I got lost in translation. Was vong333 being positive, pessimistic or apathetic? It has to be the new teaser trailer, that has gloomed the vibe further more.

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I couldn't tell either!

11. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    Speaking only for myself, of course:

I love the old EU, always will. I credit it for strengthening my love of Star Wars.
    That said, I'm also very much enjoying the new canon, for much the same reason.The new teaser brought me much joy and fuzzy feelings.

But I'm easy to please.

12. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    If I understand vong333's position correctly, it's about everything being awesome ever since the new canon is canon. In that regard, old EU being mashed together in this seems to equal everyone getting stuff that you like. Just like the time when you trashed that vase and put it into a cardboard box - everyone got the same out of it since it was still the same decor on the same procelain.

13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    whole writeup about the canon panel at Celebration.

http://www.starwars.com/news/swca-one-big-story-star-wars-canon-panel-liveblog

I can see the logic, previously film and publishing really didn't interact, thereby creating conflicts. (it sounds like the system under the old regime was basically broken for interaction and with the new direction they couldn't just graft onto what had already happened.) Kennedy said that everyone needs to work together nicely, therefore Legends, therefore One Canon. Hey, as long as it's good Star Wars, I ain't complainin'. And he's not Walrus Man, he's Ponda Baba. And Legends characters canon version are a-commin'.

Jedi Ben and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  14. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    keeps you humble tho

15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    PRIORITIES.

16. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Almost a year, and they finally gave a kind of, in a way, almost-but-not-really honest answer about KOTOR. (Really? You still can't just admit "Fine, it's new Legacy content"?) Too bad no one brought up FFG.

And poor Star Tours. You're an "authentic experience" now. [face_laugh]

But, we did get:

"This is an ongoing history, whichever version [you like]. Who’s to say when it’s finished?”

There's your money quote for Legends fans for the future.

17. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    They say it is possible that unfinished EU stories could eventually be finished, but they also said that everything from here on out is canon. Sooo....that's confusing.
    And then:

18. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    SWTOR is non-canon, but is ongoing despite that.

19. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    And yet TOR continues to have new expansions and stuff, and it's definitely not canon.

20. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    And - yet again - FFG's material doesn't show any signs of being folded into the NEU universe.

It's just word games. "All" means "All Del Rey novels and all Marvel comics and EA games." Fair enough, that's the majority of the material, but it's still a tad dishonest.

21. Good_News_Nobody

Apr 4, 2011
    I think that not all SW games have to be obligatory canon material. That way you can experience "what if" scenarios. I didn't really believe or expect the Jedi Academy games to be part of the canon. In most of SW games you end up playing a prodigy Jedi learning advanced skills in a short period of time, that in reality one would need years to perfect. However, they explained it well in KotOR games.

22. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    The issue is kind of complicated, too, by JJ Abrams being a huge KOTOR fan.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  23. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    That's cool, got a link to confirm?

24. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I read it in a mention that he'd played Star Wars video games and mentioned KOTOR as well as TFU by name but wasn't familiar with much of the EU. I'll try and look it up.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  25. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I thought it was clear that "everything" doesn't include things that obviously aren't canon (such as things that are labeled legends and things that continue legends stories). If they don't give you legends, you ask them to give you legends, and yet if they do give you legends, you complain that they lied about everything being canon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.