main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Great Soontir's and Glorious Chissman's comic talk shop. (ITT get yelled at by a crazy person)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Soontir-Fel, Feb 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarscreamPrime

StarscreamPrime Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2006
    Right now, Jim Shooter's doing a knock-up job with "Legion", so I'll be durned if I see him replaced, just yet! :p

But if... IF... JMS were to shop around for a title to work on in the DCU... I'd say that if Gail Simone ever decided to leave the title, I wouldn't mind seeing what he could do with "Birds of Prey". *Shrugs*

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Hasn't Gail Simone been gone several months already? Didn't Sean McKeever take over for an arc, and now it's ongoing in Bedard's hands? Or am I thinking of another book?

3. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    JMS never struck me as BOP writer guy.

Although he did alright with the piffy dialog on AMS. But he screwed the family dynamic on FF.

Man, Waid and Ringo's FF was so awesome.

4. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    It really was. I keep meaning to pick up some of my favorite arcs of that run in trade, but I just never seem to get around to it.

5. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Evidently Hulk #2 and Ultimates3 #3 both came out this weak and surprise surprise they both suck horribly.

We can all thank Chissman for this one.

6. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    I purchased neither thank you very much. :p

7. StarscreamPrime

Dec 9, 2006
    C'mon... Is "Hulk"-2 anywhere near as bad as "Ultimates 3" has been? (At the very least, I'll probably be finding out for myself, come tomorrow.)

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Bedard filled in for a bit and then McKeever came on. But because of this, "Countdown To Final Crisis" and Teen Titans, he had to drop one book. So he dropped Birds Of Prey and Berdard has taken over. He plans to be on the book until he's ready to leave or pulled off.

9. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    I did not buy or read #2, but #1 was perfectly acceptable.

10. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    I just looked up on my bookshelf here and what did I see, for the last third or so of trades I brought with me?

Runaways: Digest Volume 1 "Pride and Joy"
    Y-The Last Man Volume 1 "Unmanned"
    Y-The Last Man Volume 2 "Cycles"
    Y-The Last Man Volume 3 "One Small Step"
    Ex Machina Volume 1 "The First Hundred Days"
    Ex Machina Volume 2 "Tag"

The common theme in all of those (And my LOST Season Three DVDs now that I think about it), is Brian K. Vaughan. I think I'm turning into a shameless BKV fanboy. :p

11. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    The Top Ten Reasons Why Morrison's Batman is amazing and why Raven is wrong and why my hair is gorgeous.

10. Batman is a hairy chested love god.
    "Whats the only thing that Alpha Males fear? Alpha Male plus"
    When Batman is beaten to a pulp by the second of three fake Batmen, what does he do? Does he build a weapon of some to take down his much stronger foe? Not exactly. Instead he uses his shirt that he wears to board meetings and rubs the sweat all over himself. He rubs his own sweat onto himself to show the baddies who is the alpha dog walking. Manly

9. He has a sci-fi closet.
    "You have a rocket?" "I have a lot of things people don't know about"
    The sheer absurdity of what he has access to. He uses a rocket to travel around the world in minutes. He gets a robot Justice League to replace the real Justice League. And he doesn't bat an eye doing it.

8. Batman 666
    "I promised father I wouldn't kill. I guess I've dissapointed him again"
    With a single issue, Morrison managed to create a fully relalized Elseworld. It has it's own running crew and Rogues Gallery. I want to know the continueing adventures of Damien and his Alfred kitty, and his battles against the weird bio-freaks that run around in New Gotham.

7. He gives Stephanie a case.
    "When did things go so wrong? When did I die?"
    Latest issue of Batman. Look in the background. Theres a case for Stephanie and her Robin outfit.

6. He is in complete control.
    "Ninja Man-Bats. Hmm"
    He fights the weirdest things. But is there an issue where he spends time wondering about what the hell is going on? No. He goes in and punches it in the ******* face. Ninja Man-Bats, giant Batmen, resurrected demon heads, it's no thang. He's all over it.

5. He works well with others.
    "You okay, Robin?"
    In every issue that Robin shows up they work like a team. Robin goes high, Bats goes low. Robin takes Squire, Bat is with the Knight. You feel the sense of comradery between the two. He gets the tone of their relationship down damn well.

4. Batman isn't whiny or emo.
    After Bats got his demons killed he has been a lot more easy going. Instead of being consumed by his mission, he seems to be determined but not obsessed. We see him laughing and joking and occasionly having a good time. This is the Batman of Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams time.

3. The Joker prose story.
    " The things he found funny. Murder. AIDS. Rotten fish. Dead children."
    The Joker story was one of the weirdest things I've ever read. It was less a comic and more a short story with weird computer pictures. I wasn't sure what I felt about it at first. Than I thought about it. The Joker is so many things, and has done so many things. It makes sense that his next evolution would be the murder god of insanity. It doesn't fit any portrayal of the Joker before. But the Joker is so him while he remakes himself. His thoughts are disjointed, but everything makes sense to him, everything is funny. Morrison made the Joker scary again.

2. I use conditioner and my hair is so smooth and sleek.

1. The Club of Heroes Story.
    " Advantage: Evil. Black Hand Rules"
    The three issue arc about the club of heroes and the batmen from around the world. It is simply amazing and no small part of that is due to the art by JH Williams. He makes every page look like it was done with a different style. Look at all the characters in the issues. They all are done in the styles of different artists. And than theres the story. A murder mystery that is actually a mystery. One of them cannot be trusted, but who? An old fashioned "whodunnit" with a great cast of characters.

12. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

Wow... every single point you named, I feel exactly the opposite way about.

I hate Morrison's take on Tim Drake especially. I hate how completely ridiculous his Batman is. I thought that Batman 666 was quite possibility the worst comic of 2007. I thought that the Club of Heroes story was a complete snooze. I thought that his Joker one shot was a poor mans attempt to be Alan Moore.

In short, it's typical Morrison, and I hope that he quickly leaves the title and goes back to Vertigo or something and gets out of the DCU proper. Unfortunately, he's also writing Final Crisis. :(

13. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Well than I guess we are going to have to agree that you are completly wrong in every way and I will one day probably end you.
    HOW COULD YOU NOT LIKE THE CLUB OF HEROES STORY? IT WAS AMAZING

LOOK AT MY FANTASTIC HAIR. SURELY A HEAD OF HAIR SUCH AS THIS IS TOO BE TRUSTED IN ALL THINGS

IN ALL THINGS

On that note of me being right on all things, why is Ennis leaving Punisher? He should never leave. Ever. Because it is so fantastic and if he leaves I believe that it will be less amazing.

14. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Club of Heroes was marginally less interesting than a Jack Chick tract.

15. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    And more importantly, are they ending the book or replacing him? And if so, with whom? Swierczynski? Fraction?

16. StarscreamPrime

Dec 9, 2006
    I'm going to agree on one point, in particular, and that's Morrison's... admittedly... BAD Joker prose story. It just seemed to read at a MUCH slower pace than it's 20-some pages. (And another issue that irked me about that... um... issue ;), is that I was REALLY looking forward to having it be a Kubert art issue, not that HORRENDOUS CG artwork. C'mon, I've seen better computer art in "Lawnmower Man"!)

And no one is questioning the quality of Soontir's hair. I'm sure it rivals Doc Sampson's. :p

17. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    All I can say about Batman is that I started up again when Morrison picked up the title, and by the Joker issue had dropped it. It just didn't connect to me in any real way.

18. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
  19. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    You gotta love the answer they gave to the question "Are you going to divorce Superman?" The answer was "Never."

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The book isn't ending, but I know that they're replacing Ennis.

21. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Does WB own the rights to Babylon 5? Is that why he can write a new b5 comic now?

22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Yeah, it's owned by WB according to Wikipedia.

23. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    JMS is also doing some Image titles as well. Didn't take long for him to branch out.

24. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    And now Thor will go from being once every three months to once every five months

25. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    Will you still complain about it then? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.