main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

St. Lou, MO The Greater St. Louis Renaissance Faire Official Thread: Season 05. Come one, come all!

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Jedi_Commander_Faofa, Jan 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000

Jedi_Dajuan it was nice to finally meet you in person, I'm sooo sorry I didn't have time to stop and talk!! Send me a PM if you are planning to come next weekend and we can figure out where/when to meet up.

If you want to join cast, there's about two months of rehearsals required for all new people, Saturdays for like four hours. If you just want to do something casual and less time consuming, there Faire also has a staff of 'volunteers', working at the ticket gate or elsewhere.

While Sunday was crazy, Monday was a GLORIOUS Faire day. High in the upper 70/lower 80's, no rain until after 7 pm, and lots of jokes and silliness.

~H~

2. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    Yep, for me, there was the time from January to May for rehersals and such because I was in fight scenes. It varies on your character and how much emphasis you want to put in your role and how much they allow it. Most people this year started in February. The year before that, we all started in Jan., but we started late this year.

Jurist, what character are you at Faire?? We still haven't met. Weird, since we are in the same cast. ;)

BTW, I have a great story to tell about Memorial day. Jurist, were you at the final joust on Monday? Here's the scoop on what happened. :D I sent this to Dajuan earlier, she loved the story, so I thought I could share it with the rest of you.

WARNING: STORY AHEAD!!

OK, so yesterday was Memorial Day, so it was a special day at Faire. We were going to have a Memorial Day ceremony before the 2nd joust, and it was the Heather's (Queen of France) last day this year before she went on vacation. So, Terry (my boss, the Captain of the Guard) had a plan... He told me when I entered the site at 8 that he had been talking to the knights. He was going to do a little improv, and only him, the knights, and me were allowed to know what was going to happen.

I will tell you the events that led up to what happened, and maybe you can figure out what will happen on your own. I will make you act as if you are one of the people that was surprised. ;)

So, I will start off with the events at the first joust. Because it was the queen's last day, Terry bought her a bottle of wine, and poured it in her drink at the joust instead of the traditional apple cider. Wow, was she surprised!! "Complement of the Captain of the Guard," was what Terry told her after she drank it, trying to keep a straight face.

Second joust was very special. We had our Memorial Day ceremony, and Terry marched with some of the other older vets at Faire and the color guard, and paraded around with the American Flag. They had an empty chair of honor for the fallen, and they played all of the militia anthems, the Star Spangeled Banner, and Amazing Grace on bagpipes and Three Pints Gone sang the anthem. They fired a cannon (a big one) to sound the moment of silence throughout faire. When they paraded past the joust pavillion, I led the guards in a salute to the guard and the flag, like I was instructed to do. That was one of my proudest moments. It almost brought tears to my eyes, the whole ceremony. It was really special to all of us.

During the Joust, Sir Geffroy made remarks towards her majesty telling her that she was having an affair with the king, that he knew about it, and that he was to be the next to be with her. The comments were in fact so nasty that the captain and I actually had to step forward, hand on sword, to stop their remarks, and I did it quite a few times. Sir Edwardchallenged him to a joust to the death in the queen's honor, and if he won, the Queen would be honored. Geffroy said if he won, he would take her majesty back to Spain with him. The King actually accepted the terms, much to the Queen's surprise, and more remarks were made towards the King and his supposed affair with the Queen. More threats were made, etc. etc., and they said come back at 4:30 to see the final ruling on the situation.

So, a few hours later, Terry instructs me that I am in charge of the rest of the guard for the rest of the day. I knew this would happen, the rest of the guards were of course confused, but I usually take command of them during the day anyways, just not for the whole rest of the day.

We see Terry later, nearing the joust time, and he has a white shirt on underneath his red garment. They (King and Queen) asked him what had happened, and he said he tried to break up a fist fight but they ended up tearing his shirt. "2 shirts in 2 years!" he said. He was so mad he was breaking character. Everyone was worried, but he told them not to think about it. The joust time was nearing.

Now, last year's Memorial Day joust was a holocaust. All the knights died, and the squires were among the dead also. I instruct

3. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    Wow.

And just like that, it's over.

I'm a little depressed today, and I probably will be next weekend. It will definitely feel as I am missing something.

Well, it was another great weekend. Improv weekend we like to call it. Anything goes the last weekend of Faire!! It was pretty exciting. Have to tell more stories about what happened. It involves me ambushing a patron and arresting him, and the King almost getting assasinated... Twice!!

This year has been pretty stressful, trying to get it all done, but we did it, once again, and another successful Faire season is over with.

I got to meet so many new people this year, and became good friends with many of them. Jurist, I finally got to meet you Sunday!! You have a really good costume! Did you make it yourself? BTW, how did you like the final joust Sunday, I think you were there. ;)

Thanks for all those who went this year. Dajuan, it was awesome seeing you there, your costume ROCKS!!

Well, my feet are really sore, that's for sure, but I think that is the only thing that I won't miss from Faire. The cast is like a second family to me, and it is always hard to leave them at the end of all things. I will miss all of them.

Health to the Company!

Hip hip, Huzzah to all who participated!!

4. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Awww, thanks JCF! It was a good time as always. I enjoy it every year. Maybe next time I'll have more money to spend.

I was looking at all the requirements to be in the Faire, and I don't think it's going to happen. I will create a new costume for it though.

5. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    Did the 16 hours of Site Work requirement do you in? ;)

6. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    No the tryouts. I'm terrified of them.

7. DarthJurist

Dec 10, 2000
    Eh, don't worry about those, they aren't really try outs. Essentially everyone that wants to be in Faire is welcome, as long as you attend enough practices etc. The 'try outs' are more to figure out where in Faire you will be (ie which guild).

I'm also sad it's over, but now I'm gearing up for DragonCon, and the three or more costumes for myself or others that I need make in the next three months.

I also may make a Scottish lass outfit for a weekend at Bristol

~H~

8. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    So then I shouldn't start on a costume before hand? Hmmmm, now I'm torn again.

You'll have to show us pics of your creations Jurist. I love seeing others' work! What are you planning for DragonCon?

9. DarthJurist

Dec 10, 2000
    Technically costume designs need to be approved by the Costume Mistresses, but I can get you their email addresses and you can chat with them in advance. Depending on the complexity of your costume, I would definitely start in advance. I had all my underpinnings (hoop skirt, chemise, and corset) for me and my mom done by the second or so practice, which gave us 2-3 months to get the rest of out garb together. But if you have your heart set on a certain guild and talk with them in advance, I think the costume gals would be willing to work with you.

Mom?s Garb

Horrible picture of me in my garb Not the final version, but I haven?t found any more pics yet.

As for DragonCon, I need to work on my Can Can bodice and make a headpiece, do some repair work on Merriweather from Sleeping Beauty, a bit of repair work on Aurora for my sister, sew Satine?s Red Temptress Dress from Moulin Rouge for my sister, and then need to make 2-3 costumes for our Masquarade entry this year (and no, you don?t get to know about it unless you are in it). If you roam around the photo album in the above links, you can see pics from DragonCon past.

~H~

10. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    I'm in the process of loading up pics that my parents took with the digital camera at Ren Faire when they came. It takes them a while to load up on photobucket, but here's some of them:

[image=http://img41.photobucket.com/albums/v127/JediWars/Ren%20Faire%20Photos/royalguards04.jpg]
    [image=http://img41.photobucket.com/albums/v127/JediWars/Ren%20Faire%20Photos/joustpavillion.jpg]
    [image=http://img41.photobucket.com/albums/v127/JediWars/Ren%20Faire%20Photos/sergeantprofile.jpg]
    [image=http://img41.photobucket.com/albums/v127/JediWars/Ren%20Faire%20Photos/captainandsergeant.jpg]
    [image=http://img41.photobucket.com/albums/v127/JediWars/Ren%20Faire%20Photos/startofmatch.jpg]
    [image=http://img41.photobucket.com/albums/v127/JediWars/Ren%20Faire%20Photos/maghnusmccloud.jpg]

11. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    Hey, Dajuan, do you have those Sparrow pics up from Faire yet?

12. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Yeah I do, I need to post them on here. Try to get to that tonight ;)

13. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    linkage to photos

[image=http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v239/JediDajuan/Faire/JCFDajuan.jpg]
    Look it's Dajuan and our own JCF, in tights!!
    [image=http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v239/JediDajuan/Faire/randystocks20042.jpg]
    [image=http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v239/JediDajuan/Faire/randystocks2004.jpg]
    [image=http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v239/JediDajuan/Faire/fairepiratesdajuan2.jpg]
    [image=http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v239/JediDajuan/Faire/fairepiratesdajuan.jpg]

The password for you guys is archvader of there is a problem viewing them.

Enjoy!

14. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    Those are great pics Dajuan! Thanks for posting them here! So you got to meet Captian Barborossa, did you?
    Caspian Jack Oceanis:"Captain Barborossa; ruthless, murderous, and in an outfit like that, I'm sure you're fun at children's parties.

LOL! Yeah, its sad. I don't have one line that I was required to say in the chess match, but I memorized everyone else's. ;)

15. DarthJurist

Dec 10, 2000
    Let the madness begin. Dates and times for the Open Houses and the first few practices for Faire 05 are now available. You can find more information here

~H~

16. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    Thanks for the info Jurist, and reviving the thread. ;)

BTW, the pic links that I have on here are broken for a reason. I moved them to a new photobucket account.

17. Maygin

Maygin Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2002
    Oooh! I am so excited! I'm definately attending the meeting at Daniel Boone the 17th I believe! I actually went last year for the first time and had a lot of fun!! It was like being surrounded by my fellow freaks... very comforting ;) Is anyone else going to be doing this?

18. JediUruviel

JediUruviel Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 22, 2004
    I MUST GO TO THAT THIS TIME!!!!!

19. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    I won't be in cast this year. :(

20. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    MidWinter's Ball is this Saturday. It's basically a get together with a bunch of Rennies, it sounded like fun. Anybody can go. Claire and I are probably going to go. Here's the link for info: http://stlrenfaire.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=91

21. DarthJurist

Dec 10, 2000
    Earlier this evening I found a ton of pictures from last year at this site.

I'm starting to get excited. :D I was talking/gossiping with another cast member, and we're already plotting some mischief for this year. I already have all the fabric I need for my outfit, but I'm going shopping tomorrow for an outfit I'm making for someone else. I'm really not objecting since I'm always looking for an excuse to go fabric shopping. ;)

One week to the open house! I may or may not be coming in garb. I don't mind getting into it, it's just transporting it down from Chicago that's a pain.

~H~

22. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    I was talking/gossiping with another cast member, and we're already plotting some mischief for this year.

This is one of the reasons why I'm glad I'm not coming back. The guilds are going to have mischief planned for me when I come back as a patron, and it would be even worse should I be in cast. ;)

23. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    Tryouts are this weekend. Info is at the main forum at the site.

Is anyone going to come to this, cause I'm not sure if I'm going to make it.

24. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I was going to go watch, but I don't know if I'll make it either. :(

25. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    All I'm saying is Saturday I will be needing all the time I have to choreograph the rest of the fight stuff for the show. I will probably be staying at Civic Park after fencing for the afternoon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.