main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Greatest Episode of The Clone Wars (Ambush Through Mortis)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth_Tarkus, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    I was thinking of making a poll about this since I recently came to the conclusion that mine has to be "Brain Invaders". And since I can't figure out how to make a poll and I need everyone's suggestions before making it, I made this thread first. So please give me your suggestion or maybe a list of two or three at the most if you really can't choose yet, and what I'll try to do is get 4 nominees each from Seasons One and Two and 2 nominees from Season Three, unless everyone's suggestions are glaringly disproportionate in which case I'll do my best to adjust the ratio to reflect the various favorites of the board. So, again, please let me know your favorite or a list of a firm no more than three, and if someone could let me know how to make a poll at some point that would also be good! Of course conversation is not discouraged. :D

2. KelDorMaster

KelDorMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 29, 2005
    There are so many gems for me... You've named one and there are plenty of others I really like. But for some reason when I name my favourite episode I always either say Trespass or The Deserter. Trespass just felt so...real. I felt like something was really accomplished and cared about characters I didn't know. I loved how Anakin and Obi-Wan never needed their lightsabers. The ending with the spears in the snow was just so poignant and just plain good. I really loved Grievous Intrigue a lot, like a whole lot, but I just feel like The Deserter stepped it up. Maybe not with action (per se) but with story and depth. I loved the discussions between Rex and Cut, I loved the whole skirmish with the assassin droids, and felt an actual sense of danger. Plus Obi-Wan and Grievous had a good, brief confrontation. Loved the moment when Obi-Wan just goes for it and leaps at the General.

Those are my choices, but I feel like there are many others that could just as easily be it.

3. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    Oh yes, "The Deserter" is definitely way up there for me too. It's definitely one of the most cinematic in my opinion, and I love it when they address the clones' self-awareness issues. Thanks for keeping it down to three! Do you know which you'd vote for if they were all options?

You made me realize I neglected to say why mine is "Brain Invaders" so I guess I should say a few words about that. One of the minor reasons is the injection of traditional science-fiction elements with the mind-controlling parasites. Another minor reason is Ahsoka asking Barriss (sp?) if fighting in the wars makes them peace-keepers or not really. One major reason is the whole package addressing Anakin's attachment issues ultimately leading him to Force-choke Poggle the Lesser, and ending the show with some amazing dialogue between him and Ahsoka where he pretty much lays out how he's able to rationalize his inability to let go (which for me illuminates his character all the way up to his turn to the Dark Side). Another major reason is almost all of it takes place in my favorite Star Wars locale, the Tantive IV. We only see it in the beginning of Ep. IV and then never again till the end of Ep. III which I went crazy for because I really feel like it brings everything full-circle, that lore aspect of it plus the look of it casts such an entrenched Star Wars vibe. It's my favorite level by far in either Battlefront game. I could play that one level over and over.

So they address a bunch of things I love to see addressed, manage to tie in traditional science-fiction elements and atmosphere, give us the most straightforward Darth Vader moment for Anakin in the whole series thus far, and it takes place in what is for me the quintessential Star Wars scenery. No other episode hits all those points and delivers so strongly on all of them for me.

4. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I'll give you my all-time top 4 :p

1. Rising Malevolence
    2. Brain Invaders
    3. Altar of Mortis
    4. Voyage of Temptation

5. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Top Four
    #1. Duchess of Mandalore
    #2. Rookies
    #3. Tresspass
    #4. Cargo of Doom

6. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    top four of mine has to be

1#Rookies
    2#Landing at Point Rain
    3#Hidden Enemy
    .... well fourth is hard it's either Grievous Intrigue, Deserter, Cat and Mouse or Voyage of Temptation..... Citadel also came close now..... let's say

4#Grievous Intrigue:D

7. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    Some highlights:

Season 1:
    Liberty on Ryloth
    Lair of Grievous
    Cloak of Darkness
    Rookies
    Storm Over Ryloth

Season 2:
    Grievous Intrigue
    Landing at Point Rain
    The Zillo Beast Strikes Back
    The Zillo Beast
    Cat and Mouse

Season 3:
    Witches of the Mist
    Monster
    Nightsisters
    Altar of Mortis
    ARC Troopers

8. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    S1: Innocents of Ryloth or Jedi Crash
    S2: Landing at Point Rain or Brain Invaders
    S3: Overlords or TBD...

Tough because some arcs break apart into individual episodes better than others. Unquestionably the Geonosis arc pwned over all comers in S2, and I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that Ryloth did the same in S1. I guess I dig the epic military campaign arcs. Not very girly of me, but there it is.

9. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    May i ask what's so great in Jedi Crash? I like the battle in the beginning but rest is not so great IMO- random hyperspacejump(they should be dead if that happens), hitting the planet with breathable atmosphere and friendly monkeypeople few kilometers away- come on what are the odds for that? :p It had too many coincidences that non-jedi would call damn lucky:p.... it was all inspired by Han's line about hyperspace travel not being like dusting crops but for them it was just that easy or it felt like that at least....

10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    My favourite episode has to be "Innocents of Ryloth".

IIRC, they were about to crash into a Sun. Which supports Han's line.

11. Darth_Gamek

Aug 10, 2009
    ...Philosophical issues raised?

12. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Yes but it was too easy to avoid so it kinda felt pretty dumb... well they had Force with them certainly:p But Han's line actually said "make calculations wrong and you're dead before noticing it" but they made calculations wrong and managed to survive- i mean.... did they even make any calculations...how they can accidentally activate hyperdrive anyway if it requires massive amount of calculating.... too much unexplained stuff there for me...

Ummmm i was unable to spot any great philosophy in Jedi Crash- it was that usual attachment-stuff that was better explored in other episodes like in Cargo of Doom....

13. Darth_Gamek

Aug 10, 2009
    I was thinking of the whole pacifism issue.

14. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Well it was more handled in Defenders of Peace- Jedi Crash mentioned the subject briefly but Defenders of Peace was better- because Lok Durd and his Aqualish officer were funny characters:p - but once again improbable happened- from all planets of the galaxy Lok decided to land on Maridun just near the village where jedi were- really amazing

15. KelDorMaster

KelDorMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 29, 2005
    Voyage of Temptation was also very good. Definitely the best of that trilogy. Rookies was obviously very good too.

16. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    My top 4

1. Sphere of Influence
    2. Rookies
    3. Bombad Jedi
    4. The Hunt For Ziro

17. darth-amedda

darth-amedda Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2003
    It's a tough choice, so I tried to apply "two or three at the most" instruction to each season ;)
    And still I feel that at least few superb episodes are not included :)

S1:
    Cloak of Darkness
    Innocents of Ryloth
    Hostage Crisis
    S2:
    Landing at Point Rain
    Cat and Mouse
    Voyage of Temptation
    S3:
    ARC Troopers
    Nightsisters
    The Citadel

18. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    To be honest, the Maridun arc had a totally serviceable story and some interesting characters and tech, but what I really adored about it was the atmosphere and tone and the fact that it, more than any other episode even since, looked like a McQuarrie painting come to life. Sometimes that's enough: a strong sense of the environment in which the story takes place. Ryloth had it, too.

19. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Users cannot create polls in this forum, only moderators. If you have an idea for a poll, PM a mod and we'll see if it merits being created.

As for this "best episode of TCW" poll idea, we're working on that. But it's too soon. We already know what the favourite episodes of the forum are, from the "Favorite Episode of the X Half of Season X" polls. So far people have elected:

Cloak of Darkness
    Hostage Crisis
    Landing at Point Rain
    Voyage of Temptation
    Lethal Trackdown
    Hunt for Ziro

Once we have 5 seasons, we'll have 10 favourite episodes, so we'll be able to create a nice ultimate poll.

And BTW, the 2nd half of Season 2 is still tied between Voyage and Trackdown. If you haven't already, head over there and cast your vote

20. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    So does that mean a poll for the best of Ambush through Mortis to pass the time while we have to go a week without an episode is out of the question? There are already a nice number of responses and I was just about to start tallying the votes so far... :(

21. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Yeah... sorry. I just don't think right now is the time to be making such a poll. [face_peace]

22. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Meh... those aren't my favourites at all. I bet you if we redid those season polls, other episodes would win instead of Lethal Trackdown and Hostage Crisis.

23. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    The thread asks people to pick one, why is everyone having issues with this concept?:confused:

I have given this some thought and have come to the conclusion that my single favorite Episode thus far is..........Jedi Crash.

This epsiode combines numerous aspects of the franchise that I really enjoy. We have a massive space battle, Jedi in action, the brilliant inclusion of a major EU character in keeping with past continuity(I had such hopes for Katie then, sigh........), flying Super Battle Droids and the inclusion of Mygeetan's in much the manner I'd imagined they would be.

It was close to my heart considering that I've written Fan Fiction involving a Mygeetan and that connection made it a bit more special for me.

24. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    1. Altar of Mortis
    2. Witches of the Mist
    3. Ghosts of Mortis
    4. Nightsisters
    5. Cat and Mouse
    6. Voyage off Temptation
    7. ARC-Troopers
    8. Children of the force
    9. Storm over Ryloth
    10. Landing at Point Rain

25. Darth_Gamek

Aug 10, 2009
    IDK, that little discussion between Aayla and Tee Watt Ka was pretty deep.