main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The greatest moments of R2-D2 and C-3PO - where would we be without them?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by tanjokabri, Dec 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tanjokabri

tanjokabri Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    As far as I'm concerned, R2 and 3PO are vastly underrated. Not only are these two droids funny, cool, and interesting, they are also incredibly useful.

Sure, many people find them annoying and irritating...and if you do, i suggest you leave this thread!

This thread is to remember all the amazing feats that the amazing droid duo have performed over the years...you can't deny it...without them, everyone would be dead. They have saved so many people's lives, so many times.

For example:
    1. When attempting to escape from Naboo, the queen's starship - which was carrying Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Anakin Skywalker, and Queen Amidala - was saved only because R2 managed to fix the shields.
    2. When trapped in the garbage compactor on the Death Star, Han Solo, Leia Organa, and Luke Skywalker were only saved because 3PO managed to shut the machine down.
    3. When attempting to escape from Darth Vader near Bespin, the Millenium Falcon - which was carrying Lando, Leia, and Luke - only managed to escape because R2 fixed the hyperdrive.
    4. In Jabba's Palace, when about to be killed, Luke only managed to escape because R2 had smuggled his lightsaber into the palace and onto the desert skiff.
    5. On Telti, R2 managed to deactivate the detanator just as Kueller pressed it. It would have destroyed billions of people all over the galaxy.
    6. Slightly vague, but where would Luke, Leia, and Han be without 3PO always around to translate for them. How many times have they needed his 6 million forms of communication?

Now i know there are many more examples of the droids' usefulness, these are just a few i could think of on the spot. so let's try and collect a bunch of stories and memories of the two droids, and how they have served the GFFA...

2. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    R2-D2 is one of my absolute favorite SW characters. He is just so cool. :)

In the EU I think the droids flying the Falcon was great, as well as a scene from Rebirth. I don't remember the details off the top of my head, but I was so happy to see them focused on for even a short bit in that book. :)

~*~Bria

3. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    I think the droids are kind of SW's version of a DEUX SEX MACHINA of sorts, since they always seem to appear when things get tense and rescue our fav SW pals from danger. "What's that in the sky? An Aiwha? A star Cruiser? ... NO! It's Super Droid!!"

4. Bria

May 15, 1999
  5. JadedofMara

JadedofMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    Yeah...I love Artoo. He and Luke make the best team. And C3Po REALLY comes into his own in Star by Star...I was cheering (well not REALLY) when I read that whole scene. Read the book and youll know what im talking about.

6. Bria

May 15, 1999
    I would agree with that. Threepio is ok in my book. I love the humorous interaction between him and R2, but seeing him on his own like that in SbS... he was great! :)

~*~Bria

7. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    2. When trapped in the garbage compactor on the Death Star, Han Solo, Leia Organa, and Luke Skywalker were only saved because 3PO managed to shut the machine down.

Threepio managed to shut down the garbage masher? Sorry, not by a long shot. That was Artoo. Threepio stood there relaying Luke's order and having the droid version of a nervous breakdown. The Annotated Screenplays, Star Wars: A New Hope, page 74-75:

THREEPIO: They aren't here! Something must have happened to them. See if they've been captured.
    Little Artoo carefully plugs his claw arm into a new wall socket, and a complex array of electronic sounds spew from the tiny robot.
    THREEPIO: Hurry!
    INT. DEATH STAR--GARBAGE ROOM
    HAN: One thing's for sure. We're all going to be a lot thinner! (to Leia) Get on top of it!
    LEIA: I'm trying!
    INT. DEATH STAR--MAIN FORWARD BAY--SERVICE PANEL
    THREEPIO: (to Artoo) Thank goodness they haven't found them! Where could they be?
    Artoo frantically beeps something to See-Threepio.
    THREEPIO: Use the comlink? Oh my! I forgot... I turned it off!
    Meanwhile, Luke is lying on his side, trying to keep his head above the rising ooze.
    THREEPIO: Are you there, sir?
    INT. DEATH STAR--GARBAGE ROOM
    LUKE: Threepio!
    INT. DEATH STAR--MAIN FORWARD BAY
    THREEPIO: We've had some problems...
    LUKE: (over comlink)Will you shut up and listen to me. Shut down all the garbage mashers on the detention level, will you? Do you copy? Shut down all the garbage mashers on the detention level.
    LUKE: (over comlink)Shut down all the garbage mashers on the detention level.
    THREEPIO: (to Artoo) No. Shut them all down! Hurry!
    Threepio hears the incredible screaming and hollering from Luke's comlink.
    THREEPIO: Listen to them! They're dying, Artoo! Curse my metal body! I wasn't fast enough. It's all my fault! My poor Master!
    LUKE: (over comlink, faintly) Threepio, we're all right!

In there we can find Threepio relaying Luke's order to shut down the garbage mashers to Artoo, who is plugged into the Death Star's computer system. Threepio does nothing but talk, it is Artoo who shuts it down. To further point this out, lets look at the following quote from Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker (aka A New Hope), chapter 9, page 153:

Luke had fallen and was lying on his side, fighting to keep his head above the rising ooze. He nearly choked on a mouthful of compressed sludge when his comlink began buzzing for attention.

"Threepio!"

"Are you there, sir?" the 'droid replied. "We've had some minor problems. You would not believe--"

"Shut up, Threepio!" Luke screamed into the unit. "And shut down all the refuse units on the detention level, or immediately below it. Do you copy? Shut down the refuse--"

Moments later Threepio grabbed at his head in pain as a terrific screeching and yelling sounding over the comlink.

"No, shut them all down!" he implored Artoo. "Hurry! Oh, listen to them--they're dying, Artoo! I curse this metal body of mine. I was not fast enough. It was my fault. My poor master--all of them... no, no, no!"

The screaming and yelling, however, continued far beyond what seemed like a reasonable interval. In fact, they were shouts of relief. The chamber walls had reversed direction automatically with Artoo's shutdown and were moving apart again.

It is in the novel more than the screenplay (though we do see it in the movie) that we see that Threepio is just relaying Luke's order to Artoo. Artoo is the one who actually saves Luke, Leia, Han, and Chewie from being crushed.

While I do agree that the droids tend to be underrated, Artoo tends to do more to save folks than Threepio. Threepio tends to be more of an annoyance for heros than a help.

8. tanjokabri

tanjokabri Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    ok, ok, it was R2 who shut the compactor down...you didn't need to go so far to prove it!...as soon as i thought about it, i realised you're right...although it did need 3PO as well...without him, no-one would have been there to tell R2 to shut it down, cuz R2 can't carry a comlink...

i do agree that R2 is more useful than 3PO, but i still like them best when they're together...

9. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I loved them piloting the Falcon by themselves in SOTE, I LOLed through all of that.."Oh, a pursuit droid was chasing us. I believe it crashed into the sign we flew under." ROTFLOL!

10. Rhyno84

Rhyno84 Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2001
    In the garbage masher you guys forgot all about Chewie.

11. AT-ST_DRIVER

AT-ST_DRIVER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    without R2 ani wouldn't be alive and luke never would have exisisted(sp?).

12. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

R2 got me interested in robotics- I have always wanted an astromech droid. When Don Post studios released their $7000.00 replica, I actually had to stop and think about getting one. R2 might very well be in my top 3 favorite characters.

In A New Hope, I liked the scene after 3PO scolds him after they crash on Tatooine and R2 wanders off towards the canyon, talking to himself.

In Empire when Luke is on Dagobah, and R2 becomes the only sentient in the galaxy to have as good of a Jedi training as Luke did. Shame Marvel and then Dark Horse didn't like my 'R2-D2 Jedi Knight' comic mini-series idea. :(

13. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Hey, any other ex-boy scouts out there. Kier's last post got me to thinking about an old issue of Boy's Life I used to have (and might hopefully still have). Was like an 85/86 issue, maybe even 84, and one of the articles (the cover article I believe) was all about building your own remote control robot. I believe it was for under a hundred bucks. I remember thinking it was so cool at the time cause someone took the instructions and built a robot that looked like a smaller version of Artoo. In a follow up issue about six months later, they chaecked in with a bunch of scouts who had used the article and there were several Artoos and other astromechs in the article.

14. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    "DEUX SEX MACHINA"

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]

ROTFLMAO

Sorry

No... Really... I'm sorry.

You sure you're talking about the right movies ?

[face_laugh]

Hum... OK... Nevermind.

Move along, move along.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.