main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO The Greatest Videogame Themes (Videogame Music General Discussion)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by JediKnight20043, Sep 12, 2010.

1. JediKnight20043

JediKnight20043 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 18, 2004
    ITT we discuss the merits of the various great theme tunes that video games have provided us.

My personal favourites are the Metal Gear Solid theme and the main theme to Mafia.

2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30im_ZzhdcM

3. Legend_of_Leroy

Legend_of_Leroy Jedi Knight star 1

May 16, 2008
    Live and Learn (Sonic adventure 2): pulled the old trick of giving us bits of it as the game progressed in other music finally giving us the full track at the climax of the game. The Japanese version of Sonic x even used it at the same point in its version, unfortunately even though it has lyrics in english it was left out of the english dub (by 4kids) of the anime.

The Streets of Rage Theme: There's alot of nostalgia for this one, but I also remember enjoying this theme back in day. Yuzo Koshiro who composed for this game, also composed along side many in super smash bros brawl, its a shame we didn't get to hear any streets of rage tracks again in that.

The Ballad of the Wind Fish (The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening): I understand zelda has its own theme song, but Link's awakening started to introduce music as a major theme in the series using this song. I can't really say much else about how this song is used without giving spoilers, which I'd rather not do.

Metroid Prime Trilogy Theme: I don't reckon I'm going to get an awful lot of agreement with this, not least because of the polarisation between love or hate metroid groups, but also many fans would stick by the original themes for the individuals games, granted individually they are probably better standalone pieces of music, but as an actual theme song the trilogy version wins, by capturing the changing feel of the three games and also giving a nod to a often overlooked but very important moment (at least regarding my view) in the trilogy.

Life likes this.
  4. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Possibly the greatest video game theme ever

I suppose the Super Mario Bros. theme deserves a mention, seeing as how everyone and their grandmother can recognize it if you use it as your ringtone and your phone goes off in public.

I'm also a fan of the Halo theme.

The theme from Mass Effect is also quite neat, imo. It gives me goosebumps.

I also loved the music in the Jedi Enclave from KotOR 2.

The Dantooine music from KotOR1 is also pretty nice.

EDIT:

Can't forget the awesome LoK: SOUL REAVER THEME!

5. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Some favorites of mine:
    -Morrowind had a great main theme. It was the perfect epic for a dying civilization.
    -Mass Effect is loaded with great themes. The Mass Effect theme, Legion's theme, Vigil's theme, all are pretty awesome.
    -Dragon Age had a great main theme.
    -The Conan MMO actually had a fantastic main theme.

6. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGziKhOseZ4

7. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    I really liked the music in Golden Sun

8. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    Dark Forces

9. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Shadow of the Beast - probably the first video game music I really took notice of, and still gives me goosebumps to this day.

Morrowind's been mentioned. Despite both III and IV being done by Jeremy Soul, Morrowind is still the best.

And my greatest has to be Mass Effect's triumphant theme, which crops up all throughout the game. This version is probably my favourite.

10. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Personally, this is where I think that things top out. As one of the comments says, the Normandy earns a place right next to the Enterprise and the Millennium Falcon.

Here's a version with the associated cutscene.

11. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Yeah, it's far more epic than this. :p

12. JediKnight20043

Sep 18, 2004
    I'm glad some of you think Morrowind is better than Oblivion. I agree with you however while trawling around the internet I have come across many who think Oblivion is better.

Mass effect has brilliant music. The music from ME2 did not have as much impact on me as the first one.

And from KOTOR another contender appears. Darth Malak's theme

So what do you guys think of the Mafia theme. It seems to be somewhat underrated as many people haven't played the game.

13. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Don't get me wrong, I like Oblivion's soundtrack as well, I actually have both on my iPod. I just think Morrowind's has more character and is more memorable.

14. JediKnight20043

Sep 18, 2004
    Does anyone else notice, that the rundown after the climax of the Morrowind theme(skip to 0:25) sounds very much like a passage of Holst's Jupiter(skip to 3:26).

15. SW_Rogue_7

SW_Rogue_7 Jedi Knight

Aug 15, 2010
    Deus Ex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1oxIrAX39M

16. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    That was definitely one of my favorite scenes.

I also loved the music for the game Jazz Jackrabbit. Listen to the whole track, it's awesome.

17. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Agreed in regards to the Mass Effect and Halo themes, although nothing particularly memorable from the music of any of the KOTORs spring to mind. And yeah, the only Mario theme that immediately comes to mind is that of Super Mario Bros. One truly memorably awesome theme is Harry Greggson-Williams opening theme for Metal Gear Solid 2 (only redeemable thing about this meh game, IMO). The music from Assasin?s Creed 2 was very memorable as well (the theme from the Truth video/Orli chases in particular).

18. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Valyn, I love you. Jazz Jackrabbit is always the first game that comes to my mind when discussing great video game music. I didn't bring it up in my first post because I wanted to be different this time. Excitebike, while not as epic as JJ, is still awesome. :p

19. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Why so Western and recent?

Legend of Zelda's (thankfully already mentioned) (Overworld) theme is probably the best one out there. It's simple, but powerful, especially once you give it to an orchestra. [face_love]
    Honourable mention also goes to Dragon Roost Island - really should be counted among all the classic themes (Dark World, Zelda's, Hyrule effing Castle)

He stopped only a few years ago, but apparently everyone's already forgotten Nobuo Uematsu. I never played Final Fantasy (except about an hour of VI), but have most of VI's, VII's, VIII's and X's soundtracks. Probably my favourite piece from all of them is Terra's. Though Liberi Fatali is also nice ;)

By pure nostalgia I'd have to go for Secret of Mana. Gorgeous, gorgeous stuff. I never know which I like more, the beautiful main theme or the hopeless Dark Star. Or Meridian Dance. Or Eternal Recurrence. Or...

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    There's so much to choose from, it's almost impossible to just name a few- you could fill a Top 100 with tracks from the Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Mega Man and Castlevania franchises alone, but then there'd be so many amazing tracks from lesser known series to still mention.

My personal top three, though, I think would have to be the Darkworld Overworld theme from ALTTP, the Mega Man 3 Main Theme and then a tie between the Dr Wily theme from Mega Man 2 & the end credits theme from Super Metroid. Epic stuff.

21. JasperMereel_

JasperMereel_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2006
    My list as follows:

FFVII, Metal Gear Solid, Halo, Mass Effect, Gears of War, and Mario Kart

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    You know, earlier this summer I was contemplating hosting a board-wide "Top VG Music Tracks" vote sometime soon. Maybe I'll work something up in the coming months.

23. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    That's a great idea, we should definitely do it sometime.

24. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    So many wrong answers. We all know the truth is right here.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000