main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO The Greatest Videogame Themes (Videogame Music General Discussion)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by JediKnight20043, Sep 12, 2010.

1. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
  2. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Whenever I hear "rave on" I think of this. :D

3. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Also gotta give it up for Soviet Connection. It's pretty much this console generation's theme song, to me at least.

4. Armchair_Admiral

Armchair_Admiral Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    I was always a fan of Michael Giacchino's Medal of Honor soundtracks. ;)

5. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  6. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    unlock'n'bump

7. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Thanks for the unlock :)

For anyone who hasn't been through this thread before, go back to the previous pages and listen to the selections from the other members. I was absent at the time this thread was active myself, so I'm having a good time going through all the music people have posted in this thread. I hope you guys will continue to post more selections this time around as well. :) All of us probably have some specific genres of games that we prefer to others, and because of that, we may miss out on hearing some great videogame music. That, and of course none of us have the time or money to play every game out there, so hopefully with contributions from as many as possible, we'll all be introduced to at least one or two great tunes that we haven't heard before.

It feels kind of lame to bump a thread without having something to contribute to it, so purely out of formality, here are two of my selections. One of them is from a game that I own. The other one, I was introduced to, two days ago. Being a fan of calmer, ambient themes, both of my selections belong to that genre. The main menu themes of Mirror's Edge and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. The first one, I find to be very relaxing to listen to. It's haunting, yet upbeat. The latter is decidedly darker in tone, but I find it to be quite poignant. Too bad it's so short.

8. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Dark Void

This is everything I think a great theme needs to be. It's heroic, sweeping, epic, romantic... I could go on. I'll let the music speak for itself. Seriously, everyone needs to give this soundtrack a chance. It's one of my favorites now.

Too bad the game doesn't live up to the music. It's decent, but pretty buggy. Really a sort of "Meh" game.

9. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
  10. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    It's pretty good. I was listening to it, hearing the percussion, and thinking that it sounded a little like Bear McCreary and his work on Terminator and Battlestar Galactica. And then I noticed it was by Bear McCreary, and I was like "Go me!"

My current favorite is probably the Skyrim main theme. It took a little while to grow on me, but recognizing that it's the Elder Scrolls theme in a new arrangement definitely helped. And while it's a cover of the game theme as opposed to actual in game music, the Dragonborn Comes is one of the best game related tracks ever.

11. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    If you liked that track then you might like the 8-bit version for Dark Void Zero. McCreary wrote the soundtrack for that game too. Music's far too short in my opinion. It's only like 12 min :(

Another recent favorite of mine is Echoes of Angmar by Inon Zur. Pretty much anything by him is gold.

I also really like the Trine theme. I like the whole Celtic vibe.

12. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
  13. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    A great main theme from a not-so-great game.

And I'm surprised Uematsu has gotten like one mention so far. The FF main theme is, of course, part of videogame music history, but in my opinion it was never more beautiful than when it was included in the middle of this stunning orchestral medley from the somewhat obscure Symphonic Suites. Eight perfect minutes. For me, anyway.

14. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    This. It's in my head. All. The. Time.

And how about Assasin's Creed 2 Ezio's Family? Beautiful and haunting at the same time.

15. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
  16. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Rune has a pretty good soundtrack that we use a lot as BGM for out tabletop rpgs.

17. Vader_vs_Maul

Dec 4, 2003
    This guy does remixes of game soundtracks of the 16 bit era + FFVII. You should check out his YouTube channel.

18. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
  19. Vader_vs_Maul

Dec 4, 2003
    I'm surprised nobody has brought up Team Ico's games in this thread. Once it was underrated and largely unknown, but these days it has gotten so much hype that it might very well be OVERrated. In any case, Ico didn't have very much in-game music as far as I remember, but what it did have was very good to my ears. I enjoyed its main theme of sorts. Its spiritual sequel Shadow of the Colossus was grander in scope and scale, and more dramatic, and the music reflects this. This one was far from underrated when it released. From these two games, which I highly recommend by the way, these are my selections:

From Ico:
    Castle in the Mist

From Shadow of the Colossus:
    Prologue ~To the Ancient Land~ (Opening intro)
    The Opened Way - Battle theme
    A Despair-Filled Farewell - Battle theme

Being that the game composer, unlike a composer doing a film score, has no way of knowing when you'll be in what situation; when to evoke upbeat optimism and when to evoke peril or hopelessness, I think the battle themes blend together cues that sound both heroic and of desperation very well.

20. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Modern Games This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgcq_ZtqbO0

Classic Gaming This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LYB7iLZNWE

,and This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRuJfhEeCe8&feature=related

Nuff Said.

Oh... And this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVbfd_RGCDs

21. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    Excellent choice. I always love Sonic music. Chemical Plant is one of my favorites.

And everyone else in the world can stop making music this year. This is the clear winner in every way :p http://youtu.be/hEUOOgNzOv4

22. Vader_vs_Maul

Dec 4, 2003
    It's always nice to see some Rogue Squadron love, but IMO the title theme of RS3 is the best version of the three, albeit it strays a bit off from the original theme in the middle parts.

23. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Oh I agree with the music from RS three being better, I just think RS two is a way better game by far!

24. Vader_vs_Maul

Dec 4, 2003
    I think anyone would agree with you on that.

25. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I think the original one is best.

And this track has a really nice tense mood to it. This track is something quite rare: an Arabian rhythm incorporated into a Star Wars game as a suspense theme. It plays in the same level in the game as the previous one; in the lead-in part of the level, while the former plays when you reach your destination and the bombing run begins. This is a nice one too, albeit very short.

I still hold that the first game was the best in the series.