main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO The Greatest Videogame Themes (Videogame Music General Discussion)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by JediKnight20043, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Krusty_the_Clone

Krusty_the_Clone Jedi Padawan star 3

Jul 4, 2006
    Final Fantasy iv

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Gametrailers just started a new series called BackTrack that is focusing on game music. First Episode is for DKC1.

I forgot how that game brilliantly integrated environmental effects into the actual music.

3. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    The next episode is up. This week's episode is a mashup of some of the notable tracks from the game releases of last month.

4. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    From Ico: "You Were There"

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Live and Learn-Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
    Open Your Heart-Sonic Adventure
    What I'm Made Of-Sonic Heroes
    It Doesn't Matter SA2B and SA

The Pokemon themes from the Gameboy series.
    Namely RBY and GSC

Life and SithLordDarthRichie like this.
  6. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
  7. Sergio Lopes

Sergio Lopes Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2012
    For me is Across the Time from Chrono Cross... this music is awesome

8. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I still stand by Homeworld as having some the best music ever made.

9. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    There's so many great game soundtracks out there that I can't begin to keep track of them. When everything is awesome, nothing is =/

10. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Force Smuggler likes this.
  11. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002

Watching this scene again while replaying ME1 really makes me miss being on board the Normandy 2. Normandy 1 was cool back in 08, but Normandy 2 is so much better.

12. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    Simple and Clean from Kingdom Hearts
    The Entire Soundtrack, period, from Eternal Sonata
    The Opening Theme (and pretty much the entire soundtrack) from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    The Opening Theme from Below the Root (not bad for a C64 game)

I love them each for different reasons, but those are certainly among my top favorites.

13. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    The title theme from the Metroid Prime trilogy re-release on Wii.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    This is pretty amazing.

GenAntilles, Life and Force Smuggler like this.
  15. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    A bit nostalgia time for me with some entries from a much-loved game that is rarely remembered for its music, even though in my opinion it is filled with great music, pretty much all of it more or less being some form of rearrangement of the classic James Bond theme. The game I speak of is GoldenEye 007 for the N64. If I were to list all of the music that I like in this game, this post would be far too long, so I will limit myself to five tracks.

1. The pause menu
    2. Dam
    3. Facility
    4. Aztec complex
    5. Egyptian temple (especially the part that begins at 2:15)

Bonus: Control center elevator

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    GE's music was great. Always reminds me how sad I am that I never got to unlock the final multiplayer level (because that lady just would not stop dying in the control room, gah!).

17. KamSolusar

KamSolusar Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 8, 2001
  18. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    GoldenEye is not the only Bond game with great music.

From The World is not Enough (PS1 version) :
    Main menu / Fallen Angel (This theme was used again for the menus in the next Bond game, Agent Under Fire.)
    Courier

The N64 version of this game was developed on its own by Eurocom and was a different game altogether. Consequently, it had its own soundtrack:
    Main menu
    Night Watch

From Nightfire (PS2/Xbox/GC):
    Chain Reaction, part 2
    Intruder spotted
    Drake's Castle
    The Exchange - alert
    Night Shift, part 2

Nightfire was outstanding in the musical department, IMO, but it's follow-up, Everything or Nothing, was quite unremarkable. I think both were solid games, though.

19. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands has four different versions with different plots, only sharing the same title. As such, they naturally have different soundtracks. Nothing better illustrates the differences in style and tone between the different versions, than the contrasting opening title themes of the HD version, compared to the Wii game.

Wii version - title/menu theme
    HD version (X360/PS3/PC) - title/menu theme

I happen to like them both.

20. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
  21. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Prince of Persia series title theme round-up:

Opening introductory screen of the first Prince of Persia game in 1989. This was for computers.
    The game was later ported, as well as remade, for consoles in 1992. An enhanced version with, among other changes, a new soundtrack was developed for the SNES and Sega Genesis/Mega Drive. This is the the new title theme. And here's a new menu theme.
    When the original 1989 game was remade as Prince of Persia Classic in 2007, the soundtrack modernised that of the original release for computers. Here is the updated version of the title theme.

Opening introductory montage for Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow and the Flame for computers.
    This game was also converted for consoles and, as you might expect given the consoles' limited capacity compared to computers of the time, they again had own new soundtracks. This is the introduction for the SNES version.

Opening cinematic for Prince of Persia 3D, released for Windows in 1999. An unaltered Dreamcast version, subtitled Arabian Nights, was released the following year.

Main menu music of Prince of Persia - The Sands of Time, released in 2003. This game reset the franchise with a new prince and began a new story.
    Title theme of its sequel Warrior Within, released the following year.
    The final game of the Sands of Time trilogy, The Two Thrones, was released in 2005.
    A fourth game was added to this storyline with the release of The Forgotten Sands in 2010. Its story takes place between the events of the first and second games in what is no longer a trilogy.

Title theme of Prince of Persia, released in 2008. This game reset the franchise again, being the first game since the original from 1989 to lack a subtitle. However, the characters and setting established in this game were since abandoned.

22. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    3 Words: Super Mario Galaxy

Though the gameplay was a little too linear for my liking, it's Orchestral Soundtracks are hands down some of the best I've heard in any media, even when they aren't fully orchestrated, either.

& of course:

Boba_Fett_2001 and Life like this.
  23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I agree, SithLord_Darth_Vader. SMG 2 also has some amazing music as well, like New Galactic Empire and Puzzle Plank Galaxy.

Boba_Fett_2001 and Life like this.
  24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So I'm putting together a playlist themed around the concept of "Nintendo Summer". I want it to have that kinda laid-back, just-chilling-by-the pool vibe, with a few occasional bursts of jazziness.

At it's core I'm basing it around tracks from Super Mario Sunshine (as well as underwater [and similar-feeling] levels from the other Mario games) and Donkey Kong Country Returns (and tracks from it's predecessors), as well as a few OCRemixes inbetween.

However, I'm looking for other suggestions to add in some variety. Any other tracks come to mind that you think would fit in with that tropical island/beach vibe? (which I suppose can be extended to a coastal cave-vibe too)

It doesn't have to be from just 1st/2nd party titles (though those are the priority), so long as the game appeared on a Nintendo platform (or, preferably, is most associated with a Nintendo platform release)- and it can be a specific remix or cover if it adds the right vibe/style to the piece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Hm, yeah the Super Mario games have some good ones, especially Galaxy 1 and 2. Wind Waker has some good ones, especially Dragon Roost Island.