main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Greek politics thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Chyntuck, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Well, well, well. The last week of the elections campaign is starting with a bang.

First there was this article (in Greek) on a lousy news website that quotes another article from a large but notoriously unreliable newspaper. The title is "Greece probably outside the Eurozone on Thursday." Both are based on unnamed ECB officials who allegedly say that Greece will be excluded from the ECB's plan to buy government bonds because of the possibility that SYRIZA will be the next government. Both the newspaper and the news site jump from there to the conclusion that this means Grexit this week. The funniest bit of it all is that the link to the news site was thrown on social media by Adonis Georgiadis, who is currently New Democracy's spokesman in parliament. Greek Twitter is on fire right now, but mostly with laughter. I just saw someone commenting that the Antichrist is also coming to Greece on Thursday.

Then this video turned up. It's a speech given yesterday in Aspropyrgos near Athens by Makis Voridis, the current Minister of Health. Here's a little bit of background about him, until November 2011.

[​IMG]

But there's more. LAOS withdrew from the Papademos government in February 2012, but Voridis chose to stay on (apparently he liked his ministerial position too much), and he joined New Democracy. So now he's a VERY prominent member of New Democracy, but he visibly hasn't given up on his far-right roots. Yesterday in Aspropyrgos he said:
    A few footnotes:
    • What "our grandfathers" did was the Greek Civil War 1946-1949
    • "Homeland, Religion, Family" was the slogan of the Junta 1967-1974.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  2. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    SYRIZA's last rally before the elections in Athens tonight

[​IMG]

Also, with warm greetings to JoinTheSchwarz :

[​IMG]

(Yes, he said it. SYRIZA Podemos Venceremos. I wish I were that optimistic.)

3. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I hope you kick the last Junta remnants off the government. I also wish I was optimistic about the remnants if Francoism being swept away.

ShaneP and Chyntuck like this.
  4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I wish I had something more informed to say, but I just find the whole thing fascinating. You've got people still refighting the old wars of the 20th century and still using the old sloganeering, and you've got a populist response to a very modern financial mess. The funny thing is, that Voridis guy is not off the mark by calling it a contest between two worlds -- yeesh.

But aside from sloganeering, do you find that there's any actual fear among real people that family and religion are about to be toppled? I really liked that slice of life post.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Chyntuck likes this.
  5. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Voridis is absolutely right when he says that it's an ideological contest -- between those who are nostalgic of the super-conservative Greece of the 1950s-60s-70s when a whisper that you were a communist was enough to land you in prison (and a lot of people who weren't communists found themselves in prison that way) and those who want to live in a modern, democratic country, but also between those who are comfortable with the old political establishment and it cortege of oligarchs and those who want things that you'd expect to be obvious in Europe in 2015, like transparency, meritocracy, safeguards to protect fairness in business and employment practices, etc. The thing is that these categories don't necessarily overlap (e.g. there are super-conservative people who would like economic justice). That's why the electorate is all over the place and, because ND has nothing to offer in terms of economic/social justice, the only thing they can appeal to is base conservatism. Tsipras had a good soundbite about that in his speech tonight, something along the lines of Samaras bringing mothballed, post-civil war anticommunism out of the cupboard.

(Just to clarify my position, I don't believe for a second that SYRIZA can turn us into a modern, democratic country with functioning institutions, and I don't think there are many people who believe it. I also have no reason to believe, for now, that SYRIZA are corrupt, but that could change of course once they come to power. But given their record in parliament over the past twenty years, there is every reason to believe that they will defend civil liberties, human rights etc and that's something we badly need right now.)
    To be completely honest, I don't know, first and foremost because Athens and the rest of the country are two different worlds, and the environment I live in is not so representative of society at large -- my family are very cosmopolitan, I work for a human rights group, most of my friends are lefties or anarchists, etc. The provinces, in particular rural areas, can be very, very conservative (to give you an idea, we had honour crimes in Greece until the mid-1980s). And even in Athens, even in "bourgeois" professions, you'll find very conservative people. For instance, the chairman of the Athens Bar Association is a "Homeland-Religion-Family" guy, and he was elected by the lawyers, yes? So it's difficult to tell, but the good news is that we'll find out on Sunday ;)

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  6. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    I am waiting for Samaras's final campaign speech to begin. It was supposed to start nearly one hour ago. Here's a possible explanation as to why he's late:

[​IMG]

7. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    The stadium where Samaras was speaking tonight in Athens, 40 minutes into the speech:

[​IMG]

vs Tsipras speaking on a square in Heraklion, Crete at the same hour:

[​IMG]

I want to say "game over", but I'll wait until Sunday.

8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Keeping my fingers crossed!

Chyntuck likes this.
  9. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    rflmao

Chyntuck likes this.
  10. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    *rflmaoapopolis

Rogue_Follower and Chyntuck like this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    On that note, I was just reading an article about how Samaras is STILL trying to make hay over that Amphipolis tomb even though everybody who knows anything knew it wasn't Alex's tomb when the story first broke.

It would be sad and pitiable except that his desperation resulted in the site getting damaged by industrial machinery he insisted on using to rush the excavation.

Nationalism and loltastic campaigning is one thing, but if you damage the priceless cultural heritage of humanity you belong on my dislike list. I hope he loses.

Those cleaners at the Cairo Museum should also lose their next election.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Chyntuck and Point Given like this.
  12. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    :)
    [face_rofl]
    Here's another one. This morning Sofia Voultepsi, the government spokesperson until the elections were announced (the gov spokesperson changes by law in the electoral period) went on an interview on a pro-government TV station. Here's the dialogue with the journalist:

Voultepsi: Because people believe that default is what we're living through now. But default means a real default, during which the imports of fuel, raw materials and medicines will stop immediately.

Journalist: You're almost telling us that we won't have toilet paper.

Voultepsi: No, there's no toilet paper in Argentina and Venezuela. (The journalist protests). In any case I advise you to buy some.
    But that's the thing, right? He actually believes this crap. He doesn't think it's loltastic at all. And what's more outrageous is that he's the great-grandson of Emmanouil Benakis, who donated his private home and private collection to make the Benaki museum, one of the most beautiful museums we have in Athens. He doesn't even have the excuse of being ignorant about cultural heritage. #oust (that's a hashtag from Greek Twitter but I'm sure you can guess what it means :p)

13. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Tsipras in his polling station this morning. I've never seen anything like this.

[​IMG]

Darth Punk likes this.
  14. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    papandreolol

Chyntuck likes this.
  15. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    The New Democracy central election kiosk on Syntagma square half an hour before polls close and early results are announced:

[​IMG]

...versus the SYRIZA election kiosk 500m up the road, 1 hour and 15 minutes before early results are announced:

[​IMG]

16. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    First exit poll results (no official results expected before 21:30 EET)

SYRIZA 35.5 – 39.5% (146-158 MPs)
    ND 23 - 27% (65-75 MPs)
    Golden Dawn (Nazis) 6.4 - 8% (17-22 MPs)
    To Potami (centrist, pro-austerity) 6.4 - 8% (17-22 MPs)
    KKE (communist) 4.7 - 5.7% (13-16 MPs)
    PASOK 4.2 - 5.2% (12-15 MPs)
    Independent Greeks (populist nationalist right) 3.5 - 4.5 (10-13 MPs)
    Kinima (Papandreou PASOK offshot) 2.2 - 3.2% (0-8 MPs)

The SYRIZA crowd in downtown Athens are hysterical (see pic below) BUT:
    • Parliamentary majority is 151 seats and there's no guarantee they're getting it as of right now (description of the electoral law here)
    • There's a very serious possibility that the Nazis are the third largest political force in parliament.
    [​IMG]

17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Might be an interesting day on the European markets tomorrow..

Chyntuck likes this.
  18. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Official results with approx 14% of votes counted are far less optimistic for SYRIZA than the exit poll:

SYRIZA: 34.91%
    ND: 29.48%
    Golden Dawn: 6.25%
    Potami: 5.53%
    PASOK: 5.30%
    KKE: 5.29%
    Independent Greeks: 4.59%
    Kinima: 2.55%
    Other parties not entering parliament: 6.1%

In this scenario SYRIZA falls short of a straight majority of seats in parliament. Also, the Nazis are likely to be the third largest party in the Greek parliament. Not good.

19. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    For the past few weeks the markets have moved into it. It's been expected.

Chyntuck likes this.
  20. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I assume PASOK would agree to become a minority partner with SYRIZA if the latter fell short of a majority?

Chyntuck likes this.
  21. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    PASOK would agree to be a partner with the devil himself! But I doubt SYRIZA would want a coalition with PASOK. Results are still coming in of course, but it looks like SYRIZA will get only 150 seats (1 short of majority) and my educated guess is that it means repeat elections.

22. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Greek politics are bizarre.

Chyntuck likes this.
  23. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    says a briton

Chyntuck and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  24. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    A good day for SYRIZA, regardless if they pull the outright majority or not.

Also, SuperWatto I'm not yelling their name it's actually all caps.

Chyntuck likes this.
  25. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Most definitely.
    Actually, it should be SyRizA but even in Greek we write it all caps by now out of habit :p