main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The GRINDHOUSE Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by sith_rising, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    We've got threads on Nightmare on Elm Street and Lost, so why not? Anyone see it this weekend? My favorite part was seeing Kurt's Big Trouble in Little China T-shirt on the wall in the bar.

2. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    What is science-fiction or fantastical (in an elements sense) about these two movies?

3. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    The first one has a sort of military chemical thing that turns people into Zombies. That's sorta in the realm of SciFi.

4. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i'm hoping to see it next weekend when i have more free time.

5. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Planet Terror had a lot more in common with Sci-Fi than Lost, which was the point of my first post. What do Spider-Man, Transformers, Buffy and Alias have to do with science fiction or fantasy?

6. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Well with only a 5m Opening Day, this ain't going to be as big as everybody thought. NO 20 OW. 15 is a long shot.

7. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    Spider-Man: Guy gets bitten by genetically engineered spider. Gets super powers and fights other people with powers.
    Transformers: Robots that come from another planet and transform into various earth vehicles and fight each other.
    Buffy: Vampires.

I can't say anything about Alias because I never really watched it but I would think the other 3 count alot towards sci-fi and fantasy.

8. whatisthybidding

whatisthybidding Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 9, 2006
    Grindhouse falls under the Sci-Fi/Fantasy umbrella.

9. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    My question was answered, thank you.

10. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Us in the UK have to wait untill june to see this...

...And I cant wait!! Been looking forward to this film since I caught wind of it being made. It'll tide me over untill Sin City 2 comes out.

Be careful though. Some countries are getting a split-up version of it, so check out IMDB for a list of where will be doing this.

11. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I had the opportunity to read the Death Proof script about a year ago. As those who have seen the film know, in a classical sense it's poorly structured -- the first half of the film is almost entirely unrelated to the second half, and there's no real beginning and very little end, it's all just kind of one big middle, with the last half of the film being one long car chase.

On the page I really didn't know how well that was going to play. It was a fun script but I didn't find it super-satisfying and I didn't know how it would work.

Once I saw the first Grindhouse preview at ComiCon, though, it was a total revelation. As soon as I saw that style I went "Ohhhhh, I get it now." And then I got very excited.

Death Proof for me (and the rest of the cheering crowd) was a totally satisfying experience.

Planet Terror definitely had its moments but when it comes out on DVD I'll probably watch Death Proof much more often.

12. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I may use my free ticket on this.

13. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Planet Terror was amazing. The laughs kept coming, and it was very enjoyable. I mean it gives that same kind of visceral pleasure like Sin City or Once Upon a Time In Mexico. Just a lot of cool crap, thrown at you in awesome fashion. Not a masterpiece, but one of the most entertaining things I've seen in a long time.

Death Proof was great. I enjoyed Planet Terror more, but only because Death Proof is a Tarantino movie. This is not a negative, but when watching a 3 hour and some odd minute long double feature, you would think it may be more intelligent to have the more dialogue heavy feature out in front. After the non-stop action rush of Planet Terror, Death Proof slows the film down to a crawl. But this is by no means a bash against it, on its own Death Proof is great, with one of the most intense car chase sequences I have ever scene. Just, I find it to be a bad idea to put it second.

As for the trailers: Machete, Werewolf Women of the SS, and Don't were all funny. But Thanksgiving was one of the funniest things I've ever seen, as a horror movie fan. I'm not a big fan of Eli Roth at all, but that was genius.

14. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004

I thought it was only gonna be 2 and 1/2 hours?

15. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    I think the problem is that the double feature is something a lot of people aren't used to, they're not used to getting a movie's worth of thrills and chills and then having to reset at zero and start again. Had Death Proof gone first, you might have found yourself saying the same thing about Planet Terror. After the final car chase you want to jump up and cheer and go home happy, there's no way you could sit back down and watch another movie.

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, I think putting Death Proof first would have been a mistake- Planet Terror's tone and style fits better with the tone and style of the fake trailers, so they flow well into and out from PT, whereas had DP gone first, the shift in tone from DP o the trailers might have been more jarring.

17. gonzoforce

gonzoforce Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 27, 2002
    saw it yesterday, was better than I thought it was going to be. The fake trailers were hillarious.

18. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    Dorkman: That's true, but Planet Terror kicks off with that thumping music, and the action gets going pretty quickly. Or at least we're hit with them showing us the characters and the ominous feeling that something bad is going to happen. And let's not forget the Bruce Willis scenes at the start too.

Quest: That makes sense. And really in the end, all the "slowness" (I feel bad putting it that way, because even though it's "slow" it's still good. Quentin writes great dialogue.) makes the ending car chase that much better.

In the end, I'll probably go see this again. It's one of those movies you want to show to people. But I can't wait till the DVD comes out so I can watch them separately.

19. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    So which of the two is better. DP or PT

20. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    Depends on your definition of better. Like I enjoyed Planet Terror a little more than Death Proof, but Death Proof was a better film.

21. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    I don't have the article with me, so we'll just say it's a rumor. Apparently the movie has not done as well as expected. So, chances are they may separate the films, so you could see Planet Terror and Death Proof separately. Also, the "missing reels" will be put back in...

Not sure if I believe that last part.

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I can't say I like the idea of reinserting the mssing reels- Planet Terror's missing reel moment was one of the funniest parts in the whole show, and certainly got a huge reaction from the audience. I'm actually surprised they were filmed in the first place, as they seem intentionally ommited to create a specific reaction or beat.

23. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    Now that I think about it though, I'm pretty sure I remember Kurt Russel getting a lap dance in the trailer. So... maybe there is some truth behind this...

24. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I had read that the "missing reel" for Planet Terror wasn't even shot. I can't remember where I heard that so take it for what it's worth. But, the Death Proof missing reel was shot as several shots of the lap dance can be seen in the trailers.

25. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    I read the script to Death Proof about a year ago and there's a lot of stuff that was cut from it, but I know was filmed because I've seen shots and stills in trailers and magazine articles. There's an entire portion cut from the second half, for example, where we see Stuntman Mike stalking and observing the gals early on. Whereas, in the film, it looks like he just happens to see them playing Ship's Mast and decides he wants to join in.

Didn't read Planet Terror so can't say about that. But I know that the "missing reel" was a gag added in editing to DP, and all the dots were connected on the page and, presumably, during shooting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.