main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Gundam Mega-thread! (and other Anime/Manga)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Skywalker_T-65, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    I'd still recommend X myself, but then, it is my favorite.

Side-note: Totally forgot this thread existed and I started it...

2. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Oh, man, a Gundam/anime thread, great.

Has anyone watched Build Fighters? I'm severely behind on my Gundam type shows and was wondering if it was worth a watch or if I should skip it like AGE, which I made all of two episodes into before dropping even with a friend of mine subbing it.

As to 00, I love that series, but I still can't get over some of the naming conventions. "It's an American Flag!"

Also, UC had best designs, specifically Zeon. Love me some Quin Mantha, Neue Ziel, and Qubeley.
    Edit: And Rick Dom, and Gouf, and Gelgoog, and Kämpfer, and Acguy...can't forget Acguy.

3. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    I've watched Build and am currently watching the sequel.

Personally, I like them. But they are very much in the comedy side of things.The battles are animated well, but don't come into it expecting something serious in the vein of most Gundams.

4. BartSimpson-SithLord

Jan 24, 2002
    Oh, as long as it's fun and entertaining I'll be fine. G is one of my favorites, after Zeta, after all. I can do "not serious" and I love comedies (I really enjoyed the old UC SD shorts. There's something magical about SD Scirocco being kept from entering the club). I just...couldn't do AGE. At all.

5. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Not doing AGE I can't blame you for...never made it past I think...ep 4? Something like that.

IMO, Build Fighters is definitely fun and entertaining. There are quite a few call backs to older series (to be expected, considering the premise). The characters are funny for the most part, and the battles are worth it for seeing older MS in glorious HD. Unsurprisingly, my favorite there is the fact they brought in the GX as a 'main' suit. :p

6. BartSimpson-SithLord

Jan 24, 2002
    I hope the models are to scale. Nothing makes me laugh more playing a game like Dynasty Warriors Gundam than flying one of the larger Gundams around and then Uso in his tiny little V2 shows up.

7. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Build Fighters is kind of like the ultimate Gundam fan series. The amount of cameos in that series is insane. Many of the fights are quite good, although they're less Gundam and more fighting series. The first season is quite good, and the second season isn't so bad either. Never got around to watching Age, and given its reputation, don't really care to either. Build Fighters on the other hand is probably closest to G Gundam, compared to previous series. It also helps that its on the official Youtube channel, so its easy to catch. Kind of funny to think we're watching new episodes less than a day after they air in Japan. I'm debating if I should bother to looking into Reconquista though, Build Fighters Try is already plenty entertaining.

I think Rightstuf is releasing more Gundam series, which is good news since Bandai's American division basically shut down a few years ago. Finally maybe a chance to watch Turn A on DVD.

And anybody else been reading Gundam The Origin? Never quite got around to watching either the original TV series or the movies, but the manga adaptation/re-telling is very, very good. An OVA sort of based on it should be out sometime this year.

8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    In order: Build Fighters is great if only because of old man Ral; that it's also entertaining is just a nice plus. Skip Age because it's not even entertainingly bad, it's just dreck. I have heard Reconquista starts slow but gets good in an insane way, like a lot of Tomino's best non-Gundam stuff does, but I haven't watched it.

IIRC they confirmed Turn A was first in the docket.

You should definitely watch the movies - which The Origin owes considerably more to than the television version - but yeah, they're great comics.

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  10. gat-65b

gat-65b Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 13, 2022
    So the prologue for Witch from Mercury (the newest Gundam series) is available at the Gundaminfo home website as of early September A very effective opener, I thought. Shades of Gundam Seed Stargazer with the secret-ish Gundam space project being taken over by authorities. A bit brutal which is not atypical for Gundam. The mobile suit designs (which lets face it, are one of the largest draws of any Gundam series) are also quite nice. The new trailer for the show proper depicts a lighter show (I'm still hoping it ditches the classroom apect fairly early one). By and large, this still looks like it could be a good one. Either way, I will watch through to the end.

For the curious, the series itself will be streamed for simulatneous release in the West in early October and the show requires no prior Gundam knowledge so would be a nice one to dip your toes into.

11. gat-65b

gat-65b Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 13, 2022
    New Gundam Seed Freedom movie dropped this weekend. Seems to be getting generally good reviews (at least from fans). Also managed to have the biggest opening for a Gundam movie ever, beating the last major theatrical Gundam outing by almost double. As a fan of the CE, hopefully this means more anime in the future.