main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Gungan Language

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by enigmaticjedi, Feb 1, 2015.

1. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    Now, I'm not sure if TPM ever made it explicitly clear whether the Gungan language was a different alien language that was separate from Basic (Star Wars term for English in the Star Wars universe) or was a very ungrammatical rendition of Basic.

Most of the time when I watch TPM, I tell myself that the way the Gungans speak is simply their alien language that bears similarities with Galactic Basic. However, I notice that no one ever says this in the movie.

Which is it -- Separate Language or Ungrammatical Basic?

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
  3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The idea was that the Gungans couldn't speak Basic very well, which is why they talk as they do. Certain parts of the language would be their own way of talking, such as calling Jar Jar a bombad general and Jar Jar referring to the Force like he does.

JAR JAR: "Ooooh, maxibig..."da Force"...Wellen, dat smells stinkowiff."

This was to be paid off in AOTC, when both the Kaminoans and the Geonosians talk like the Gungans and we'd find out that Sido-Dyas was really Sidious. Both Poogle and Lama Su say Sidious, but pronounce it as Sido-Dyas.

4. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    ^ I thought it was Sifo-Dyas myself. Interesting.

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Originally in 2000, it was much different.

LAMA SU: "Please tell your Master Sido-Dyas that we have every confidence his order will be met on time and in full. He is well, I hope?"

OBI-WAN: "I’m sorry Master – ?"

LAMA SU: "Jedi Master Sido-Dyas. He’s still a leading member of the Jedi Council, is he not?"

OBI-WAN: "Oh, yes. Sido-Dyas."

LAMA SU: "A bounty hunter called Jango Fett. We felt a Jedi would be the perfect choice, but Sido-Dyas hand-picked Jango Fett himself."

OBI-WAN: "Tell me, Prime Minister, when my Master Sido-Dyas first contacted you, did he say the order was for… himself… or…?"

LAMA SU: "Himself? Of course not. This army is for the Republic!"

OBI-WAN: "The Republic?"

LAMA SU: "We are also very much against this Count Dooku and his secessionist movement. We are proud to be of help to the Republic."

OBI-WAN: "…I’ve never heard of a Jedi called Sido-Dyas, have you, Master?"

MACE WINDU: "No. Whoever placed that order was not a Jedi, I can assure you."

MACE WINDU; "A clone army! Ordered by someone in the Senate perhaps… Someone’s out to start a war."

YODA: "Inform the Chancellor of this, we must."

MACE WINDU: "Who do you think this imposter, Sido-Dyas could be?"

OBI-WAN: "Then you must know Master Sido-Dyas?"

JANGO FETT: "Boba, close the door. Master who?"

OBI-WAN: "Master Sido-Dyas. Isn't he the Jedi who hired you for this job?"

JANGO FETT: "Never heard of him. I was recuited by a man called Darth Tyranus on one of the moons of Bogden."

OBI-WAN: "No? I thought…"

TAUN WE: "Sido-Dyas told us to expect him. And he showed up just when your Jedi Master said he would. We have kept the Jedi’s involvement a secret until your arrival, just as your Master requested."

Lucas changed this as it was too apparent who created the Clone Army. He was going to go into it in detail, but that didn't happen.

6. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    It seems that the Gungan's had their own language but intermixed it with basic. That is the way I see it. From certain words they use to using basic in a weird way. Cool concept for sure. But if they did have their own separate language, how did they start picking up on basic? Maybe having communications with the Naboo at some point?

7. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    That would be a fair assumption.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  8. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Wait.... darth-sinister , did you just make that up? Because that's actually hilarious. That sounds like a joke. I just can't imagine the entire mystery of the Sith hanging on the Kaminoans lack of ability to correctly pronounce "Sidious" [face_laugh]

9. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    no it's real. it was an allusion to "sidious" but then gl thought it would be too obvious who "sidious" was.

10. Elegy

Elegy Jedi Youngling

Mar 7, 2015
    LOL Sido-Dyas