main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Gusher's Supplemental to the Basher's Sanctuary.

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Go-Mer-Tonic, Apr 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    No it is very complex, just not very "challenging". I mean lets face it, SW movies will never be Mouholland Drive (sp?). They just don't work that way.

2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    It's funny you mention Mulholland since Lynch was considered to direct ROTJ.

I bet Lynch would've cast John Hurt as The Elephant Man to play Anakin.

3. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    "Complex" vs. "Challenging".

Aren't we just talking semantics at this point?

4. AgentCoop

Feb 16, 2002
    Shane, I was surprised to learn that myself. He turned it down to do "Dune". Go figure.

Interestingly, ROTJ covers some themes that Lynch is familiar with. Good and Evil. Dismemberment and disfigurement. Deviancy (Jabba's palace). And he probably wouldn't even mind the Ewoks, seeing as he's so comfortable working with midgets. [face_laugh]

5. stone_jedi

stone_jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2001
    stone_jedi, you're my hero! Well-said.

Aww shucks. [face_blush]

Thanks Malthus. :)

6. Malthus

Malthus Jedi Master star 4

Mar 31, 1999
    Basically, I don't think many "bashers" hold TPM to the same standards as their beloved Holy Trilogy.
    <nods> I agree with you there, which is why I admonish bashers all the time (subtly or not) that if they're going to make a criticism, make sure it's for solid reasons and not because they're being close minded. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to jump into a discussion to defend a person with whom I agree with, yet the arguments are of the wrong type and way they go about making it is all wrong, and so I don't get involved at all.

I guess the same can be said for gushers since close-mindedness isn't a political trait but rather an individual one.

7. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    "...seeing as he's so comfortable working with midgets."

Yeah, he could've just brought the same group of Circus-midgettos from The Elephant Man to work on ROTJ.

Dune isn't too bad. I still like the Spiceworm effects. Compared to the novel though it's way too short. Plus, the political situation isn't clear enough in the film.

I liked the Sci-Fi channel's mini-series more than Lynch's version.

One thing you can say about Lynch is he's truly an original filmmaker.

8. AgentCoop

Feb 16, 2002
    Absolutely.

Incidentally, Lynch intended "Dune" to be a much, MUCH longer film, but the studio took control and edited it heavily. There's even a cut of the film floating around that credits the ever-famous "Alan Smithee" as director, as Lynch wanted his name removed from the film. He has insisted on final cut on every film he's made since.

9. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    I think the bootleg I saw floating around clocked in at 8 hours.

10. Malthus

Mar 31, 1999
    LOL! 8 hours? I fell asleep as it was! (no lie)

11. Malthus

Mar 31, 1999
    but if you accept that Vader just "knows" where the Rebel base is in ESB, or that the Millenium Falcon hasn't been destroyed in the asteroid field [EDIT- or Luke going to Bespin] then surely you can accept that Maul managed to trace a transmission to the Naboo Cruiser on Tatooine?
    Good point, almost. The only problem with this that I can see is that Vader and Luke were either shown using the Force or talked about it, while Maul just talks about a trace, a scientific thing. Vader saying "No, Captain... they're ALIVE. I want every ship available to sweep the asteroid field until they are found," kinda bugs me, but I guess I kinda took that as him deducing that they'd have found wreckage or something.

I see where you're coming from, though, SRN.

12. morpheous4278

morpheous4278 Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2002
    I just want to say star wars rules,and it is just a movie people ,The whole reason any movie is made is really just to make money.But I digress... George admits to every influence he and his crew has and never once tries to downplay it.every great story borrows from every great story before it and it's creator is inspired by something that he/she has saw/read/experienced.Don't try to destroy something that brings joy to millions of people across the globe

13. Malthus

Mar 31, 1999
    Not sure where you're coming from, guy, but I don't think anyone's trying to destroy Star Wars. Are you taking criticism of it as a will to destroy it?

14. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Go-Mer: "These films aren't for people who get hung up on everything, they are for people who can roll with them and enjoy them for what they are."

Nah, these films are for people who want to shell out the money to see them. I've seen no evidence to support the claim that GL wants to squash First Amendment speech rights, but I do see evidence that he wants to make money off SW.

Go-Mer: "The cool thing about TPM is if you allow yourself to enjoy it, you realize no salt is required"

So, Go-Mer, then you agree with me that Lord of the Rings is every bit as good a movie as Star Wars, A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back?

Go-Mer: "Yeah but what if your knee-jerk reactions were wrong?"

Yes, they're WRONG! WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!!

Stone: "Can you please explain how an unconscious, personal reaction can be wrong?"

Because they're WRONG! WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!!

Go_mer: "You know, like how Lucas makes mistakes?"

Yes, because Lucas was WRONG! WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!!

Stone: "You are wrong."

No, you are WRONG! WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!! Wait, what were we arguing about?

When did you become a psychiatrist? Oh, wait, you're not. (If only Quix were here....)

WRONG!!!! Go-Mer is Quixotic-Psychiatrist, analyzer of the basher mindset, irritator of the Stone Jedi, lord of this thread!

Perhaps you were in the theater and heard the word "Yippie" and became self conscious about your even watching the film? Maybe you looked around to see if anyone was noticing you paying good money to see a 9 year old boy skip around

See Stone, once you except yourself as a person and love you for who you are, only then can you learn to love Jake Loyd and JJB for who they are. Until then, they will be the conscious object of your subconscious insecurities and you will never truly be happy. Did I get that right, Go-Mer?

Shane, I was surprised to learn that myself. He turned it down to do "Dune". Go figure.

Well, Dune is the LOTR for Sci-fi novels, so it was a good theory that it could have matched SW in success, but the story doesn't translate to film as well and Lynch's style is not one that was as well received, thus, it didn't do as well, not even close.

I liked the Sci-Fi channel's mini-series more than Lynch's version.

And you know they decided to go forward with a sequel :D

15. stone_jedi

Jun 17, 2001
    See Stone, once you except yourself as a person and love you for who you are, only then can you learn to love Jake Loyd and JJB for who they are. Until then, they will be the conscious object of your subconscious insecurities and you will never truly be happy.

Give me a break, not you too? [face_plain]

16. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Don't start the [face_plain] with me. I'm not the one here who's allowed their subconscious to ruin TPM for them, I choose to dislike it openly because I'm a bitter and synical old man.

EDIT - I also have the intellegence of a rock, based of Makevilli insight and my many grammar errors.

17. stone_jedi

Jun 17, 2001
    I'm not the one who has allowed their subconscious to ruin TPM for them

So now you can read my mind huh? Would you like to tell me anything else about myself that I might not already know? [face_plain] <--Yeah, he's back, and he's staying.

I choice to dislike openly because I'm a bitter and synical old man.

At least you can admit it.

18. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Wow are you guys psychologists?

19. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    So now you can read my mind huh?

Yes. Right now, you're thinking about pizza. You're also thinking hitting me in the face, but mainly, you're thinking about pizza.

"I choice to dislike openly because I'm a bitter and synical old man."

At least you can admit it.

Exactly.

[face_plain] [face_plain]

20. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Wow are you guys phycologists?

Go-Mer, please address my above posts, and no, I'm a mind reader. You're thinking about Star Wars. See? Impressive, no?

21. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Yeah but what specific thing in SW am I thinking of?

22. stone_jedi

Jun 17, 2001
    Right now, you're thinking about pizza.

:eek: OMG, I am not lying, but you're absolutely correct! [face_plain]

So how old do I have to get to become cynical and jaded?

Goes to make pizza.

23. AgentCoop

Feb 16, 2002
    "Phycologist"?

"Synical"?

Wow! I'm learning a whole new langwidge!

24. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Yeah but what specific thing in SW am I thinking of?

You're thinking about this thread, also, you're not thinking about my LOTR comment above, which you should be doing. Man, I'm good.

So how old do I have to get to become cynical and jaded?

Heck, you can do that at any age these days. OK, now you're thinking about the cost of pizza. Hmmmm, not too much spare cash I see, and you don't want frozen pizza. That is a dillema.

25. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Aha! I was thinking about Leia's metal bikini.

Anyway, I thought Lord of the Rings was a great film, worthy of being compared to the SW saga.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.