main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Gusher's Supplemental to the Basher's Sanctuary.

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Go-Mer-Tonic, Apr 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stone_jedi

stone_jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2001
    Hmmmm, not too much spare cash I see, and you don't want frozen pizza. That is a dillema.

I have a pizza in the freezer that sounds damn good right now. Shows how much you know. [face_plain]

So how old do I have to get to become cynical and jaded?

Heck, you can do that at any age these days.

Can you sign me up?

2. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    See, I deliberately misspelled "language"...it's meant to be funny...in an ironic kind of way...see?

Ironic.

3. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
  4. stone_jedi

Jun 17, 2001
  5. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Hey any of you guys able to play Jedi Knight II across the Internet?

6. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    I have a pizza in the freezer that sounds damn good right now. Shows how much you know.

Yes, but you WANT carry out, it is out of despair you go for the frozen pizza, but you TELL yourself it is because you truly desire it. You deceive yourself.

Can you sign me up?

What, now you need my approval to be cynical and jaded? I think that calls for a [face_plain]

See, I deliberately disspelled "language"...it's meant to be funny...in an ironic kind of way...see?

Are you taunting my grammar? I have the intellegence of a rock, you know.

7. stone_jedi

Jun 17, 2001
    I have the intellegence of a rock, you know.

According to some people, we all do. [face_plain]

What, now you need my approval to be cynical and jaded

Since you know about my subconscious thoughts, I figured you could help out a little.

8. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    "Are you taunting my grammar? I have the intellegence of a rock, you know."

[face_laugh]

9. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Hey any of you guys able to play Jedi Knight II across the Internet?

No, but I'm trying to get some guys together to play DF2 on-line. I'm too cheap to buy JK2. Cheap, and lazy.

Aha! I was thinking about Leia's metal bikini.

We all think about that. That doesn't count.

Anyway, I thought Lord of the Rings was a great film, worthy of being compared to the SW saga.

Well, all right then.

10. stone_jedi

Jun 17, 2001
    We all think about that.

There you go again. [face_plain]

I'm too cheap to buy JK2. Cheap, and lazy.

The truth comes out!!!!

11. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    What's DF2?

If you have a decent computer, JKII rules.

The way the floors reflect light is mezmerising. Then there is everything else.

What's really cool is they have this dueling mode where a bunch of people join, but only 2 are fighting at a time, while the rest watch.

Whoever is next fights the winner.

Can you imagine having a "Basher vs. Gusher" event like that? We could probably charge money.

12. stone_jedi

Jun 17, 2001
    Turn on the shadows if your video card is good enough and it becomes pretty damn cool also.

;)

13. Malthus

Malthus Jedi Master star 4

Mar 31, 1999
    I'd play! I don't have it though... <frump>

Should I?

14. stone_jedi

Jun 17, 2001
    Should you have it? Of course, it's a good game. :)

Plus MP is fun. :)

15. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Yeah, if you have the CPU and Video card to play it, absolutely.

Oh he must have meant Dark Forces II, or Jedi Knight I.

We could play that too, but only if you have the Mysteries of the Sith exspansion.

It just isn't as cool without the film set replicas.

16. stone_jedi

Jun 17, 2001
    I don't understand why they didn't put that expansion pack in with the Collector's Box of Outcast. [face_plain]

17. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Yeah I didn't get that either...

18. Malthus

Malthus Jedi Master star 4

Mar 31, 1999
    No, I think my computer could hack it. I think. I played CounterStrike/Q3 Arena/UT without difficulty.

19. SW3TheHolidaySpecial

SW3TheHolidaySpecial Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 2001
    OK I was enjoying this threas but it has clearly become off topic so I will talk about my problems with TPM and GMT can um,comment on them.

Before I start let me say I find TPM entertaining but there are some things that bothered me about it,and you've probably heard these same complaints before but I'm posting them anyway so my view can be taken into account.

1."There was no father." This part bothered me the most.I don't see why it was necessary to have Anakin be fatherless.He was concieved by the force.I'll accept it but I won't like it becuase I don't understand why it was necessary.

2."He IS the chosen one." Okay my problem with this is I'm just tired of it.Dune,The Matrix,countless other movies with the "chosen one" storyline.I find it tired and dull these days,when I know someone is the chosen one I know how the story will end.

3.Hugh Quarshie.The worst acting I have ever seen.My first veiwing of TPM every time this guy spoke all I could think is "This guy is a horrible actor."He thinks he's not getting work because of the quality of TPM and therefore asked for more money to return to Star Wars.The quality of the movie is NOT why he is not getting work,it was the quality of his performance.He needs to work on his skills,he may have been good in something,somewhere at some time but this is the only movie I've seen him in,and he is horrible in it.

4.The Death of Darth Maul.After all his skills he shows us,he stands there and lets Kenobi slice him in half.He WATCHES Kenobi fly out and over him and STANDS THERE and lets Kenobi slice him.Inconsistent.

Go-Mer-Tonic,I would appreciate your response to these as I al always interested in your opinion.

20. Lukecash

Lukecash Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    HolidaySpecial

If you don't mind I will answer your question. Go-mer could probabbly give you his answers...since his Icon is a wise Jedi, and mine is a pompus protical droid, it might be better if you listen to him :D

1.) Virgin Birth Two reasons why Lucas did this. One was to give Anakin a proper Archetypal Hero's begining, on which Jesus and other religion and myths are based apon. The second reason was to either send a red flag up for the observant viewer (Hey that sounds suspicious or to head off any EU pre-prequels about Anakins Father.

2.) Chosen One Many people don't want to admit this...but Matrix was based on the bible archetype...more specificly-the Gospels of Christianity. All mythology has the "chosen one" syndrome in one form or another. King Arthur, Prometheus, Superman, Conan..ect., ect. One of the things that I liked about J.R.R. Tolkien was that Frodo was swept into his destiny by accident at first, but by choice later.

The beautiful thing about this "chosen one" Story is that he goes bad...most "chosen one" dosen't go bad. In Star Wars, it becomes a story of how the Younger Generation redeems the actions of the Older Generation. Redemption is a much more powerful tale that isn't told often enoough.

3)bad acting I thought Hugh Quarshire was fine, IMHO. He was a gruff security guy. His acting career is his own fault. Portman, Mcgreggor, Nesson haven't been damaged by it.

4)Darth Mauls Death Basically, Maul became to confitdant, pridfull and Arrogant...he believed he had defeated Kanobi. Kanobi, surprised him. And what SEEMED like he was just standing there-Lucas had to convey that Kanobi calmed himself down, concentrated on the saber and then pulled his manuver to the surpised eyes of Maul.

It happened in a split second-but Lucas had make sure you followed what happened. Film time doesn't = real time.

Hope this helps out...at least from the Gusher point of view.

21. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    SW3 HS, you can catch Hugh Quarshie is the great film Baby:Secret of the Lost Legend. It's from the mid-eighties.

The effects in that make Jurassic Park look like claymation. ;)

22. SW3TheHolidaySpecial

SW3TheHolidaySpecial Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 2001
    LukeCash,thank you for your observations.I shall respond to your points.

1.Virgin Birth.Yes I know this is a mythology thing but here we get the "Jesus" character growing up to be evil.It almost seems to be a twisted view on christianity to me.

2.He IS the chosen one.You actually managed to change my mind about this.The chosen one growing up to become evil is different from the norm,and a concept I quite like.I'm afraid I might not have been as accepting at first on account of hearing of this chosen one talk until after ROTJ,but if you watch all the films in order and then see he becomes evil,that WOULD be quite an exciting twist.

3.Bad acting.Some people say these movies are notorious for this,BUT no other actor has ever taken me out of an SW movie on account of their acting abilities.I found Hugh to be utterly unconvincing but this is not something I think we could change each others minds about.

4.The Death of Darth Maul.Your explantion works for me however I think it would have been better had Maul left Kenobi there to die,turning his back and beginning to walk away from the scene.Not making sure a Jedi is dead would be incompetent on his part,but as I keep being told he overconfident.Kenobi could have flew himself out and sliced Maul from behind as he walked away from the scene.

23. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    SW3TheHolidaySpecial: "1. "There was no father." This part bothered me the most.I don't see why it was necessary to have Anakin be fatherless.He was concieved by the force.I'll accept it but I won't like it becuase I don't understand why it was necessary."

Go-Mer: Well the reason it was necessary is because George is structuring the stoy as a mythology. He is following the writings of Joeseph Campbell, who figured out that all mythological stories invented by unreleated societies have all contained certain similarities. He theorizes that this is because these kinds of stories are actually inate within our subconcious from birth. They are simply a product of our makeup. Lucas is trying to tap into that by using the same traits. One of the similarities of these "Hero's Journey" stories has been that the hero always seems to have a supernatural origin. Jesus was fathered by God, Hercules was fathered by Zues, Anakin was fathered by the Force. I can understand someone saying they don't like it, but really, this is just how the story goes.

SW3TheHolidaySpecial: "2. "He IS the chosen one." Okay my problem with this is I'm just tired of it. Dune,The Matrix,countless other movies with the "chosen one" storyline.I find it tired and dull these days,when I know someone is the chosen one I know how the story will end.'

Go-Mer: In every other "chosen one" movie, the Chosen one prevails. If that is what you expect from the prequels, you are in for a big suprise. Lucas says this trilgoy is about a man who wrestles with temptation, and he loses.

George Lucas: "I made Episode I as light hearted and as happy go lucky as possible, becase the next film will be darker, and the third film will not be happy by any stretch of the imagination."
    Personally, I find the prequels to be a refreshing divergance from most "hero" movies.

SW3TheHolidaySpecial: "3.Hugh Quarshie. The worst acting I have ever seen. My first veiwing of TPM every time this guy spoke all I could think is "This guy is a horrible actor."He thinks he's not getting work because of the quality of TPM and therefore asked for more money to return to Star Wars. The quality of the movie is NOT why he is not getting work, it was the quality of his performance. He needs to work on his skills,he may have been good in something,somewhere at some time but this is the only movie I've seen him in,and he is horrible in it.

Go-Mer: I agree. He has been "replaced" for Episode II. To be fair he had some hard to swallow dialogue thrown at him, but then again it never stopped Harrison Ford or Alec Guinness. They still managed to turn in professional performances. There are some lines Hugh delivers where you can just see the "disatisfaction" in his cadance. But I don't think it really ends up hurting the film so much as make Panaka out to be a sort of bitter character.

SW3TheHolidaySpecial: "4.The Death of Darth Maul. "After all his skills he shows us,he stands there and lets Kenobi slice him in half. He WATCHES Kenobi fly out and over him and STANDS THERE and lets Kenobi slice him. Inconsistent."

Go-Mer: It is consistent when you realise that the reason he pauses has to do with over confidence. Notice when he has Obi-Wan hanging on for dear life he doesn't try to kill him then either. He taunts him with his saber, already privately claiming victory to himself. When an unarmed Obi-Wan suddenly jumps over him and force grabs Qui-Gon's saber, Darth Maul simply cannot accept the idea he hadn't yet won. I don't think reality actualy set in until he tried to laugh it off as impossible, and no sound came out.

Well that's how I see it anyway.

24. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Yes, I meant Jedi Knight One. No I don't have the expantion, I'm a cheap *******. I rather enjoyed JKI multiplayer as it is, not to say JK2 isn't really cool, I'm just a cheap ******** with the intellegence of a rock, or did I mention that already?

What's this? On topic conversation? We can have none of that! *sigh*, Oooo-kay then, on topic: SW3TheHolidaySpecial, you're thinking about going to the basher sanctuary to support our preseveration of the OE movement. Yes, yes that's definitely what you're thinking about. Hey, that's on topic. This is the B. Sanctuary's supplement thread, afterall.

25. Lukecash

Lukecash Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    HolidaySpecial

Thank you for posting your thoughts, I am glad I showed you a different way of looking at it. You also did the same for me.

1) I agree with you that the evil Jesus is what some people thought when they heard the virgin birth. I think this is why people object to it and are not satisfied

2)Glad to be of service on the chosen one storyline. During the movie I kept saying to myself..."wow, these people are taking a lot of stock in this chosen one theory...if they only knew what Anakin would grow into."

3)I will have to make a comparison between Panka and Typho characters in the next movie. If Typho becomes really cool-but yet gruff. Then I may agree with you. Although I wasn't bothered by his performance-next time I watch,I will pay attention to his behavior and see weather it was character

4)That could have been a cool way of doing it as well...but we must work with what Lucas gives us. If it doesn't, then I can understand the disatisfaction

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.