main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Halcyon Maneuver (AOTC AU) Nejaa and Valin Halcyon, A/P, Obi-Wan -- *Completed 11/9/08*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by NYCitygurl, Jun 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Author: NYCitygurl
    Title: The Halcyon Maneuver
    Timeframe: AOTC AU
    Characters: Nejaa Halcyon, Valin Halcyon, Nyche, Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Padme
    Summary: After the Jedi Council requests help from the Corellian Jedi in the rising conflict, Nejaa Halcyon, his son, and a young Jedi apprentice end up protecting Senator Padme Amidala -- and doing a lot more than that. The Chosen One is trying to keep up with them as they're trying to keep up with him, and Obi-Wan is in one fine mess as the galaxy heads toward war.
    Notes: This is my first full-length story in Saga. Some of the material may come from R. A. Salvatore's Attack of the Clones novelization. While the story is an AU because of the Halcyons, much of it, especally in the beginning, will follow AOTC.

The Halcyon Maneuver

Anakin Skywalker was wet.

He wasn?t happy about being wet. Sure, he was in the Room of a Thousand Gardens, which featured several pools of water that Jedi padawans often swam in. And yes, said padawans could often be messy and loud and splash water everywhere. It wasn?t such a smart idea for a meditating padawan to sit too close.

But still. There were only two teenagers in the pools; the rest, Anakin supposed, were off in classes or doing something that didn?t involve annoying him half to death. And two padawans usually didn?t splash quite so much water everywhere. It usually took a whole group to do that.

But no. These two managed to do it all on their own.

That was why Anakin was wet. He didn?t have time to change into something dryer before the scheduled meeting with the Jedi Council, so he had to appear before them soaking wet. He winced at the thought of what his master would say. Obi-Wan probably wouldn?t be pleased to see his padawan dripping water all over the floor, much less looking so unprofessional in front of the collective head of the Jedi Order.

There was nothing he could do, though, so Anakin just trudged up to the council chamber, which was situated in a tower at the highest point of the Jedi Temple on Coruscant. He palmed the door open and was surprised to see an unfamiliar man standing in the room next to his master.

As he had predicted, Obi-Wan was less than pleased. ?Anakin,? he sighed, seeming unsure of what else to say.

The other man laughed. ?He?s just a boy, Kenobi; let him have his fun.?

Anakin bristled at the thought of being ?just of boy? in this man?s eyes?or anyone?s, for that matter. He was about to protest, but decided that, given the look on Obi-Wan?s face, it would be best to remain silent.

?Now we have one errant padawan,? Mace Windu, one of the masters on the council, commented. ?Now we?re just waiting for yours, Halcyon.?

Halcyon laughed. ?Might as well not wait. They may or may not show up. I can always fill them in later.?

Anakin moved over to stand beside his master. The council chamber was a circle, with twelve chairs, one for each master, situated along the edges more than halfway around the room. The Jedi who came before the council stood in the center of the room, directly in front of Mace Windu and Yoda, the two most senior masters in the Order.

Anakin took a moment to study Halcyon. He was taller than average, but not by much. He had fair skin and light brown hair, and from his accent, Anakin guessed that he was from Corellia. He was surprised to see a Corellian Jedi on Coruscant. He had heard stories about them. They answered to the Jedi Council, but only when they felt like it. They trained and stayed mostly in their own system, only venturing out in extreme cases. Anakin had even heard that they lived mostly normal lives; they had jobs, families, children. It was a strange concept to him, but one he thought the Jedi Order wouldn?t lack for adopting. Children shouldn?t be torn away from their families and sentenced to a lonely, loveless, duty-filled life.

Before Mace Windu could speak, the door to the chamber was open and two teenagers tumbled in?the same ones, Anakin was surprised to note, who h

2. Rassick

Rassick Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 26, 2004
    Excellent start! Even through their brief dialogue exchanges, you've captured the banter and mannerisms of the characters pretty well. I also like how you took lines from AOTC (like the bit about the disgruntled spice miners) and added more elaboration to 'em. Keep it coming. :)

Good observation here. Qui-Gon definitely left an impressive legacy behind him, even though he had no children of his own.

3. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Ah, the Halcyons! How I love that family.

Interesting premise we have here with Windu sending the two Jedi Knights and their apprentices instead of just Anakin and Obi-Wan like Palpatine suggested.

Good, funny dialogue when it came to Valin, Nyche and Anakin.

You have a PM list?

4. Jazz_Skywalker

Jazz_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2002
    Hmm... I wonder how AotC will go with the Halcyons on board. Interesting premise, can't wait for the next one!

5. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    They answered to the Jedi Council, but only when they felt like it.

Aww, yeah. That's right. :cool: I love the Halcyon family, and I especially like that Nyche's in the mix. This story has me excited in all kinds of ways.

Wow, that sounds wrong. :p If you have a PM list, please put me on it!

6. Amrita_Glittersong

Amrita_Glittersong Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2007
    Yay, Nejaa! The events of AOTC'll be interesting with him around. Poor, poor wet Anakin. I love the sniping between Valin and Nyche; very amusing. Can't wait to see where this story goes. :)

7. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Nice story you have going on with all of my favorite characters. You can put me on your PM list

8. G__Anakin

G__Anakin Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2006
    Wow great job! :)

I remeber you writing a baby-sitting story with some of these characters. Weren't you the one? [face_thinking]

Anyway, I'm looking foward to reading this!

Could you please add me to the PM list![:D]

9. Jaina87

Jaina87 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2005
    [face_laugh]
    I loved this! Can you please add me to your PM List?
    =D=
    @};-

10. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Very intriguing beginning.

Somehow I think Obi-Wan and Neeja are going to have their hands full with just their padawans.

If you have a PM list for this, please add me? [face_praying]

Looking forward to more

=D= =D= =D= =D=

11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Rassick: Thanks!!! :) I?m doing this one right ? I?ve got my AOCT novelization right next to me :) Yes, he did. It?s actually something that Obi-Wan noticed in one of the Jude Watson books.

whiskers: Me too :D There aren?t nearly enough stories about them. Thanks! Yes I do, and you?re on it :)

Jazz_Skywalker: Very differently . . . but in some ways, remarkably the same :p Thanks :)

JadeSolo: Me too :D Rebellion all the way! [face_laugh] I get it ;) I have :)

Amrita_Glittersong: Yeah, he isn?t going to get very many breaks :p Thanks! :)

earlybird-obi-wan: Thanks!! Will do :)

G__Anakin: Thanks!!! :) Yes, actually ? Reasons Not to Baby-sit a Jedi. Not really my best work, though [face_blush] Thanks :) Yes, you?re added :)

Jaina87: Thanks!!! :) Yes, of course :)

KELIA: Thank you :) OH yes :p Yes, I?ve added you :)

A/N: Some of this dialogue was taken directly from R. A. Salvatore's AOTC novelization. That part isn't mine (the rest is, though).

And for those of you who are curious, Jonathan is mine, and I made up Nyche's last name.

~~~

Valin sighed as he let the hot water of the sanistream flow over him. It felt good after all the time he had spent wet and shivering in the council chamber. Why did she have to take my clothes?

It had just been a harmless little prank. He had Nyche had gone for a walk in the Room of the Thousand Gardens to kill time before the appointment with the council, and had decided to take advantage of the pool and go swimming. They had managed to get everyone nearby ? that apprentice Anakin included ? wet as they splashed each other.

After they realized that they were late, they had gotten out of the pool to get dressed, and Valin decided to create an illusion of the crystal snake in Nyche?s clothes. Nyche had screamed so loud Valin had had to cover his ears, but when his laughter gave him away, she had gotten so furious that, after scrambling into her clothes, she had stolen his. He?s chased her through the temple, but she had used telekinesis to stop his from getting to her until they had reached the council chamber.

Valin turned off the sanistream and dried himself with a towel before quickly shrugging into clothes. He had just finished pulling a black tunic on when his father knocked and, without waiting, opened the refresher door.

Nejaa Halcyon smiled. ?Nyche told me what happened,? he said, handing Valin his boots.

?I thought it would be funny,? he protested, pulling them on. ?I didn?t think she?d get so mad, and I really didn?t think that would happen.? He wrinkled his nose. ?We made a really bad impression on the council, didn?t we??

Nejaa nodded. ?Oh, there?s no doubt about it. It was a stupid thing to do, and you did make a bad impression.? He smiled again, lessening the harshness of his words. ?But it?s the impression you make on me that counts, and I think that you?re perfectly normal for a sixteen-year-old boy, and I wouldn?t have you any other way. The Jedi Order has a habit of stifling individuality and emotions to the point where the Jedi can become little more than drones. I don?t want that for my son.?

Valin smiled in thanks. ?How is Nyche doing??

?She?s calmed down. I think you had better apologize, though.?

?I have. Several times. How will doing it again make a difference??

Nejaa put a hand on Valin?s shoulder as they exited the ?fresher. ?Son, she?s a woman. There?s no explaining the way their minds work.?

Nyche was waiting for the Halcyon men to appear. When they did, Nejaa gave Valin a wink and a pat on the shoulder and strode ahead of the two teenagers, leading them to their meeting with Senator Amidala and the other two Jedi.

After several moments of awkward silence, Valin said, ?I?m sorry I scared you. It was supposed to be a joke, honestly. I?m sorry.?

?I?m sorry too,? she replied. ?Stealing your clothes was immature and I s

12. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Great update Those Halcyons are funny and so in character with the books. And great insight in Anakin's thoughts.

13. Tatooine_Ghost

Tatooine_Ghost Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2006
    loved it. could you please add me to your pm list?

14. G__Anakin

Apr 2, 2006
    Great job!

15. whiskers

May 19, 2005
    Can't wait to see how the tensions between the "ordinary" Jedi and Corellian Jedi play out. I know it's not going to be drastic, but still interesting.

Good job on this.

16. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    ?Son, she?s a woman. There?s no explaining the way their minds work.?

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

That's certainly true enough!

It was nice, and probably wise, to see Nyche and Valin make up before starting their mission.

Loved the elevator scene with Obi-Wan and Anakin.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    earlybird-obi-wan: Thanks!! I tried, especially since, IMO, Nejaa wasn?t as cool as he could have been in the book he was in :p

Tatooine_Ghost: Thanks!! Sure thing :)

G__Anakin: Thanks!!

whiskers: You?re right, it won?t be drastic, but there will be differences ? some of them very attractive ones for a certain Jedi . . . Thanks!!

KELIA: This, I?m sure, won?t be the first time they fight, but they?ll always make up :) Thanks!!

This next post is kinda short, but most of them will be longer :)

As before, thanks to Mr. Salvatore.

~~~

Anakin glanced quickly around the living quarters. He quickly processed that Senator Amidala?s personal handmaiden and head of security were standing next to her, and more guards were spread out around the room. However, his attention was quickly drawn to the senator herself.

Padme had only grown more beautiful in the decade since he?s last seen her. She had matured for a pretty girl into a beautiful young woman, full of confidence and composure.

Obi-Wan bowed respectfully, and Anakin quickly if awkwardly followed his lead. ?It is good to see you again, Senator.?

The young woman rose and shook Obi-Wan?s hand. ?Thank you for coming, Master Kenobi, but I do not nee protection.?

?Yes, you do, milady,? the head of security objected. ?You were almost killed.?

Padme looked as though she was about to protest, but then she caught sight of Anakin. ?Annie?? she asked.

Anakin blushed; no one had used his childhood nickname in years. ?Hello, milady.?

?Annie.? She smiled. ?You?ve grown.?

Anakin realized that he was now taller than her ?And so have you,? he said quickly, then blushed when the captain and Obi-Wan stared at him, both a little surprised. ?Er, more beautiful, that is. And shorter, for a senator.?

She smiled again. ?You?ll always be the little boy I knew on Tatooine.?

Anakin felt his heart plummet. Was that all she saw when she looked at him? A child? When he looked at her, he saw a beautiful, vibrant young woman . . .

His thoughts were interrupted when the doorbell rang. One of the guards posted near it answered it, admitting the three Corellian Jedi.

?Milday, meet Jedi Master Nejaa Halcyon, and his apprentices, Valin Halcyon and Nyche Teradin.?

Nejaa shook hands with the senator, though the teenagers settled for polite nods. ?Valin only, actually; Nyche?s on loan while her master is . . . elsewhere.?

?Is he your son?? Padme asked, looking at Valin. ?I thought that Jedi were forbidden to marry.?

Nejaa gave her a charming smile. ?Corellian Jedi do things a bit differently.?

Padme sat down again and waved the Jedi to two couches nearby. ?As I was telling Master Kenobi, I do not need any more security; I need answers. I want to know who is trying to kill me.?

?We?ll find out who?s trying to kill you Padme,? Anakin said fiercely. ?I promise.?

?No, we will not,? Obi-Wan corrected.

?Why else do you think we were assigned to her, if not to find the killer?? Anakin asked, stung that Obi-Wan had corrected him in front of Padme.?

?You won?t be trying to find her killer,? Halcyon said, ?because I will.? He smiled at Anakin?s confused look. ?I?ve been with Corellian Security for years; that?s why I was sent when we were told that there have been assassination attempts on several high-ranking public figures. You protect the senator, boy, and I?ll make sure your job won?t be as difficult.?

?Thank you all,? Padme said with a smile, patient and diplomatic. ?Now, if you will all excuse me, I will retire.?

Nyche stood up. ?If you don?t mind, Senator Amidala . . .?

Padme frowned. ?I think I?ll be all right in my own bedroom.?

Nyche shrugged. ?No guarantees, milady; someone needs to be nearer to you than here. I figured you would be more comfortable with me.?

Padme smiled in an attempt to be civil to the younger woman. ?In that case, yes, please.? Nyche followed the senator and the handmaiden out of the living room.

Anakin glared at his master. ?You didn?t tell me

18. G__Anakin

Apr 2, 2006
    Great job!

Hehe! Anakin always making a fool of himself!

19. whiskers

May 19, 2005
    Another good chapter. Keep up the good work.

Oh no, Anakin and Padme are going to elope to Corellia...

20. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Wil Anakin get his idea's from Nejaa?

21. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Obi-Wan sighed. ?Does Valin have a crush on Senator Amidala as well??

?No, he has a crush on Nyche.? The two men smiled in shared amusement.

Awww, isn't that cute! They can each talk to each other's crushes, swap info, trade secrets on how best to impress girls... [face_laugh]

?You won?t be trying to find her killer,? Halcyon said, ?because I will.?

And I loved that. :D Just fit right into the old AOTC storyline. Can't wait to see his CorSec skills in action.

It's also funny to see the name "Valin" and tell myself that it's not Corran's son. :p

22. Ulic_Starwalker

Ulic_Starwalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 3, 2006
    Very well written! I really liked this fic. It is because I have always loved Halcyon's character (being one of my favourite PT-EU Jedi), and because of your good writing style. :)
    Please, add me on the PM list, if you have one. And keep up the good work.

P.S. It is the Room of a Thousand Fountains, not Gardens. ;)

23. Tych_sel

Tych_sel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Excellent start. I love the way you've introduced Nejaa and Valin into the storyline, very appropriate given Najaa's background. One has to wonder what Obi-Wan and Anakin had done that made them the choice for the assignment in the first place. After all, we all know how the Council feels about attachment...

Should be interesting seeing Anakin and Valin tripping over each other trying to impress their respective crushes.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

P.S. Could you add me to the PM list???

24. Amrita_Glittersong

Amrita_Glittersong Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2007
    Gah, I missed a chapter. Okay, so I shall comment on both the latest and the one before.

Hehe, Valin and Nyche are so cute! Their little misunderstanding/prank/argument/fight was something I could totally see happening.

Nejaa put a hand on Valin?s shoulder as they exited the ?fresher. ?Son, she?s a woman. There?s no explaining the way their minds work.?

[face_laugh] Gotta' love Nejaa.

I liked the elaboration and extended dialogue for the elevator scene. Especially Anakin's comment about Obi-Wan being the nervous one about the Gundarks, which made me wonder if you'd read the book with said encounter with the Gundarks, since Anakin is certainly right. :p

Anakin realized that he was now taller than her ?And so have you,? he said quickly, then blushed when the captain and Obi-Wan stared at him, both a little surprised. ?Er, more beautiful, that is. And shorter, for a senator.?

She smiled again. ?You?ll always be the little boy I knew on Tatooine.?

Anakin felt his heart plummet.

Pooooor Anakin. It's such a diss, even knowing she didn't really mean it that way.

?We?ll find out who?s trying to kill you Padme,? Anakin said fiercely. ?I promise.?

?No, we will not,? Obi-Wan corrected.

?Why else do you think we were assigned to her, if not to find the killer?? Anakin asked, stung that Obi-Wan had corrected him in front of Padme.?

?You won?t be trying to find her killer,? Halcyon said, ?because I will.?

Hehe, I like this response from Obi better than the movie one. Much more to the point, and more snarky. :p And Nejaa's on the case? Awesome. I wonder what Obi'll be doing?

Obi-Wan sighed. ?Does Valin have a crush on Senator Amidala as well??

?No, he has a crush on Nyche.? The two men smiled in shared amusement.

Cute! Now Valin and Anakin can work together to flirt with girls. And poor Obi seems so resigned about all this. [face_laugh]

Great so far, and I'm interested to see what happened to AOTC with the Halcyons around.

25. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    G__Anakin: Thanks!! Yeah, so what?s new? :p

whiskers: Thanks!! Sorry, no ;)

earlybird-obi-wan: Maybe ;)

JadeSolo: Yep :D Thanks!! [face_laugh] Me too :p Too much time in Beyond for me ;)

Ulic_Starwalker: Thank you very much!! A high compliment :) Fountains, that?s it! Thanks for the correction [face_blush] I [face_love] Nejaa Halcyon :D You?re added :)

Tych_Sek: Thanks!! Well, they?re familiar with Padme; since she?s resisting this, she?d probably resist slightly less to people she knows rather than strangers. You?re added :)

Amrita_Glittersong: That?s okay :) Thanks!! :) Glad you liked the part in the lift :) I actually haven?t read it; I just figured that if someone was going to be nervous about something, it wouldn?t be Anakin :p Yeah, it was a diss :( However, not one I can take credit for ;) I [face_love] a little snark :D Obi-Wan will be trying to protect Padme, help Nejaa a little, and keep Anakin from doing something stupid all at the same time. The life of a Jedi Master is not an easy one :p Thanks!!

Also a shorter post, also borrowed dialogue from the book.

~~~

Nyche lounged in a chair as Dorme brushed Padme?s long hair. The senator watched as the teenager?s chest rose and fell slowly but steadily. Her eyes were closed, and she hadn?t said anything since Padme had given her permission to come along.

?Is that a Jedi technique?? Padme asked after a while.

Nyche opened her eyes slowly. ?Yes. I was searching for danger, but there doesn?t appear to be any within a radius of a few miles.? She smiled. ?You?re safe right now, Senator.?

Padme nodded. ?With five Jedi under my roof, I have no doubt. I?m more worried about finding the people who attacked me before.?

?Don?t worry about that, milady. Nejaa is the best. He?s been with CorSec forever.?

Padme had heard of the security agency; it was reputed to be one of the best in the galaxy. ?I?m surprised that he brought his son,? she said in a not-so-subtle dig for information.

Nyche shrugged, apparently not caring about the senator?s motives. ?Valin?s his apprentice. I?m only here because my uncle had to go on a far more dangerous mission, so Nejaa brought me along.?

?You?re so young,? Padme said quietly.

?An odd comment coming from a woman who took her planet back from invaders and ruled it as queen at the age of fourteen,? Nyche commented.

?That was different,? Padme protested, then wondered exactly how it was different. ?The issue with the Separatists certainly wasn?t planned.?

?And leading a planet?? Nyche leaned back a little more, letting the form-fitting chair mold itself against her back. ?You were elected when you were younger than I, milady. And besides,? she added, ?most Jedi start going on missions with their masters when they?re thirteen. Corellian Jedi are much safer ? and Nejaa and Uncle Jonathan wouldn?t have let Val and I come if we would be in serious danger.?

Padme wanted to ask another question, but Nyche was saved when Anakin and Valin burst into the room.

?We were, uh, just checking to make sure you were okay, milady,? Anakin stammered.

?Nyche is providing plenty of protection, Annie, but thank you.?

Valin plopped down in a chair next to Nyche?s, but she glared at him. ?The senator is in her nightdress,? she said. ?You two get out of here. If you?re bored, go wack each other with lightsabers.?

Padme was sure that Anakin didn?t appreciate the younger girl?s words, but, with a bow to Padme, he allowed Valin to drag him back out.

Padme found herself sad to see him go. She remembered the words he had spoken earlier. ?You?ve grown . . . more beautiful.? Against her wishes, she found herself blushing at the thought. She had spent the last twelve years in public service, first as princess of Theed, Naboo?s capital city, then as the queen, and now as a senator. She hadn?t had time for many romantic encounters, and for the first time, she started wondering what she had missed.

She remembered a conver

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.