main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Halo Novels

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Sanctimoniously, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sanctimoniously

Sanctimoniously Jedi Master star 5

Dec 28, 2005
    What did everyone think of the series? IMO, the best by far was The Fall of Reach because it had the creation of the SPARTAN-II program in it, and the best enemy introduction ever.

And does anyone else think Eric Nylund is a HORRIBLE writer?

2. obi_webb

obi_webb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2005
    i love those books! to me, the story in halo 2 was a bit of a letdown when you look at how great the story in the books are! fall of reach, was my fave for sure. it reminded me a of enders game and that's one of my favotite books ever.
    the flood was about as good as an adoptation as you could do of the first game, though i would have preferred if nylund wrote it..
    it was nice to see nylund back for first strike! it was an awesome book!
    are they doing anymore halo books? i hope so!

3. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    The Flood was a horrible horrible book.

I liked the Fall of Reach the best. First Strike did a good job of describing what happened after Halo, and how Johnson had survived.

4. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    I did enjoy them all, but agree that The Flood was lacking. Reach definately took the cake of them.

...has there been any word on a novel covering Halo 2's plotline?

5. Sanctimoniously

Dec 28, 2005
  6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've never played the game (I only have a PS2 - no Xbox) but I did enjoy the novels. I wouldn't mind seeing more of them.

7. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    are these novels worth buying?

8. Sanctimoniously

Dec 28, 2005
    Yes. Though The Flood is a bit lacking, it's still worth it because it provides decently interesting sidestories to the game. Go out and buy them right now!

9. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I've only read First Strike. Wasn't too bad.

10. Sanctimoniously

Dec 28, 2005
  11. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    So tell me: How did Johnson survive?

12. -SPACE_MARINE-

-SPACE_MARINE- Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2006
    were do you buy the books?

13. Sanctimoniously

Dec 28, 2005
    You can get them at a game store, online (clatter "Halo novels" into Google), or at a bookstore. I got mine at Wal-Mart.

14. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i have yet to read the books. i'm hoping to get them soon

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Unlocking this and popping it back up.

The November Locus magazine has an ad for a new Halo novel. Halo: Ghosts of Onyx by Eric Nylund.
    Amazon says it came out at the end of October and you can see it here. According to Locus it is the first in a series of new Halo novels.
    Has anyone seen or read it yet?

16. Sanctimoniously

Dec 28, 2005
    Thank ye, LAJ. :)

I haven't read it yet (save for the excerpt provided), but I plan to get it as soon as financially possible.

17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The reviews on Amazon seem good. I have not read any of the Halo books, but I am interested after having read all the halo info on Wiki. It is a really well done universe. However, I am spoiled as a reader. Asimov, Niven, Clarke, Bradbury, Reynolds, etc etc.

18. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    I'm holding off on buying new books until finals are over so I actually study, but I'll be picking up Ghosts as soon as I'm done. I'll review it here if someone hasn't beaten me to it.

19. Sanctimoniously

Dec 28, 2005
    The actual writing of the books may or may not impress you in that case, but they do provide excellent back- and side-stories to the games.

20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I looked for the book in my local bookstores yesterday but couldn't find it. I guess if I want it I will have to use Amazon.

21. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002

I was tempted to pick one of these novels up, but I'm afraid to pick up a book that'll have crappy writing (like some NJO novels). I need a good writing prose to enjoy a book.

So, tell me, will these novels impress me, or are they on the same level as the worse of the NJO authors?

22. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    I actually finished reading Ghosts of Onyx a few days ago. Great book, and it manages tie up the loose ends concerning Dr. Halsey.

23. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    I have these just sitting at home on my shelf, maybe I'll give them a try.

24. Dark_Disciple

Dark_Disciple Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2005
    I too think Fall Of Reach is excellent. I have only read this one though, and for a different perspective, I don't play the game at all but found the novel very interesting and thought it had good writing. I loved all the technical stuff, especially the detailed consideration of having to train and modify the human body to allow operation of the Spartan suits. It reminded me a little of Fred Pohl's "Man Plus" where the guy chosen for the Martian trip is surgically modified to deal with Martian conditions.

25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I've never played the game either since it isn't on the PS2, but the novels were recommended to me by another Collecting poster when a friend and I met up with him in London. I picked the books up at Forbidden Planet and thought they were pretty good. I might pick the new one up from Amazon UK since I got a gift certificate for Christmas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.