Amph The Halo Novels

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Sanctimoniously, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sanctimoniously Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    What did everyone think of the series? IMO, the best by far was The Fall of Reach because it had the creation of the SPARTAN-II program in it, and the best enemy introduction ever.

And does anyone else think Eric Nylund is a HORRIBLE writer?
  2. obi_webb Force Ghost

star 4
    i love those books! to me, the story in halo 2 was a bit of a letdown when you look at how great the story in the books are! fall of reach, was my fave for sure. it reminded me a of enders game and that's one of my favotite books ever.
    the flood was about as good as an adoptation as you could do of the first game, though i would have preferred if nylund wrote it..
    it was nice to see nylund back for first strike! it was an awesome book!
    are they doing anymore halo books? i hope so!
  3. hudzu Chosen One

star 6
    The Flood was a horrible horrible book.

I liked the Fall of Reach the best. First Strike did a good job of describing what happened after Halo, and how Johnson had survived.
  4. Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I did enjoy them all, but agree that The Flood was lacking. Reach definately took the cake of them.

...has there been any word on a novel covering Halo 2's plotline?
  5. Sanctimoniously Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  6. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    I've never played the game (I only have a PS2 - no Xbox) but I did enjoy the novels. I wouldn't mind seeing more of them.
  7. Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    are these novels worth buying?
  8. Sanctimoniously Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yes. Though The Flood is a bit lacking, it's still worth it because it provides decently interesting sidestories to the game. Go out and buy them right now!
  9. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    I've only read First Strike. Wasn't too bad.
  10. Sanctimoniously Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  11. -Phoenix- Force Ghost

star 5
    So tell me: How did Johnson survive?
  12. -SPACE_MARINE- Jedi Padawan

were do you buy the books?
  13. Sanctimoniously Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    You can get them at a game store, online (clatter "Halo novels" into Google), or at a bookstore. I got mine at Wal-Mart.
  14. Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    i have yet to read the books. i'm hoping to get them soon
  15. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Unlocking this and popping it back up.

The November Locus magazine has an ad for a new Halo novel. Halo: Ghosts of Onyx by Eric Nylund.
    Amazon says it came out at the end of October and you can see it here. According to Locus it is the first in a series of new Halo novels.
    Has anyone seen or read it yet?
  16. Sanctimoniously Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thank ye, LAJ. :)

I haven't read it yet (save for the excerpt provided), but I plan to get it as soon as financially possible.
  17. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    The reviews on Amazon seem good. I have not read any of the Halo books, but I am interested after having read all the halo info on Wiki. It is a really well done universe. However, I am spoiled as a reader. Asimov, Niven, Clarke, Bradbury, Reynolds, etc etc.
  18. Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'm holding off on buying new books until finals are over so I actually study, but I'll be picking up Ghosts as soon as I'm done. I'll review it here if someone hasn't beaten me to it.
  19. Sanctimoniously Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The actual writing of the books may or may not impress you in that case, but they do provide excellent back- and side-stories to the games.
  20. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    I looked for the book in my local bookstores yesterday but couldn't find it. I guess if I want it I will have to use Amazon.
  21. Valyn Force Ghost

star 8

I was tempted to pick one of these novels up, but I'm afraid to pick up a book that'll have crappy writing (like some NJO novels). I need a good writing prose to enjoy a book.

So, tell me, will these novels impress me, or are they on the same level as the worse of the NJO authors?
  22. Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I actually finished reading Ghosts of Onyx a few days ago. Great book, and it manages tie up the loose ends concerning Dr. Halsey.
  23. DAR Force Ghost

star 4
    I have these just sitting at home on my shelf, maybe I'll give them a try.
  24. Dark_Disciple Jedi Knight

star 3
    I too think Fall Of Reach is excellent. I have only read this one though, and for a different perspective, I don't play the game at all but found the novel very interesting and thought it had good writing. I loved all the technical stuff, especially the detailed consideration of having to train and modify the human body to allow operation of the Spartan suits. It reminded me a little of Fred Pohl's "Man Plus" where the guy chosen for the Martian trip is surgically modified to deal with Martian conditions.
  25. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    I've never played the game either since it isn't on the PS2, but the novels were recommended to me by another Collecting poster when a friend and I met up with him in London. I picked the books up at Forbidden Planet and thought they were pretty good. I might pick the new one up from Amazon UK since I got a gift certificate for Christmas.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.