main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nash, TN The Hama and I Lightsabre Adventure - 2/21/02

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Elan-Rai, Feb 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elan-Rai

Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 11, 2001
    Well, considering most everyone was getting together so early for the costume/prop meeting and Hama and I couldn't make it, we decided to get a lead jump on some of you. ;)

And now I give you...

THE HAMA AND I LIGHTSABRE ADVENTURE

PART I

Since we couldn't be there, we decided to hook up around 5pm when I got off work. We jumped in my truck and headed on over to Lowe's hardware store. Since I already built one last week, I knew right where to go. We sprinted down the main alleyways until we saw a sign: PLUMBING HARDWARE. Ahhh.. yes! We took a harsh left turn into the aisle and sped down to the end. As we came upon the piping, we stared at the way they sparkled (okay, so maybe it really didn't do that, but anyway). We rustled through all the fittings, couplings, reducers, etc. Twenty minutes later, we have ourselves one heckuva hilt. We picked up some black electric tape for trimming that my wife brought to us. We looked down at what we had and noticed there was no way to turn this beauty on. We agreed that this killing machine needed some kind of switch for activation. So, we pondered... and we pondered so more. Then we thought.. OH WELL!! Just as soon as we left the aisle, a shady baglady dressed in black stood nearby and raised her hand and waived it in front of us. She excalimed, "You do not need to buy those parts." Hama and I looked at each other and continued our search for the elusive on/off switch.....

PART II - Coming SOON

2. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    LOL Great stuff! I'm ready for part 2. Your adventure has inspired me to make my own lightsabre even though I lack the funds/ability.

3. k kanos

k kanos Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2000
    Yeah. I definitely want to make an attempt at making one. It's too bad someone doesn't have access to a metal machine shop in our group. Then we could make the really look sharp. I guess a hacksaw will have to be good enough. ;)

4. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    The only problem with a hacksaw this time, is that we used steel. Unless that is one heckuva hacksaw... [face_laugh]

5. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    A dremel seems to be more than adaquete for most people's sabre projects. When I made my two sabres I had access to my dad's tools which included an air-compressor powered disk cutter thingie.

In the end I think I used that air compressor powered disk cutter, a metal file to smooth things out, and a drill press to make a hole for the switch to fit. There was also another tool that put a small dent where the hole would be, to make it easier to drill the hole without bending the pipe.
    Oh yeah, I also used a pop rivet gun to attach my Episode I-style sabre knob to the sabre (the knob comes with a covertech clip for mounting it on my belt.)

One thing all sabre buildres MUST have is JB Weld! It is a two-part epoxy that takes about 18-24 hour to cure, but it is incredibly strong and will glue anything to anything else.

Home Depot carries some pretty good switches. I used this nice little red one that I found for both of mine. Home Depot also carries a really nice chrome 1.5"x12" pipe that is a perfect base for a light sabre.

6. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    We didn't have to cut any of the pipe for the ones we built, and they turned out pretty good. It was fun. ;)

We used Liquid Weld for the adhesive. It worked out nicely. Although, I think Dylan bought JB Weld for his project. We just used the Liquid Weld I had left.

We bought some golden bolts (or something like that) for the control switch. They look nice too.

The next one I make I want to be chrome. If anything, it'd be nice to just have a variety. :)

7. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    The Liquid Weld didn't work too well with mine. I think I should have used a thicker layer. Probably should have waited more than three hours before playing with it, too. ;)

8. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    Let me think what tools I used... A wood lathe, a drill press, vise and hand saw, dremel, band saw, hand drill, pop rivet tool, x-acto knife, and a hacksaw. I think that was all.
    The JB Weld didn't hold for me, so I had to use a 2 part epoxy, and some Liquid Nails.

9. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    I'm trying it with the 2-part epoxy now. I'm going to let it set for 24 hours before testing it.

10. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    Really? Mine has held well thus far... (of course I haven't went whacking it against the house either.. lol)

11. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    Maybe I didn't have a good mixture, but the weld crumbled in mine.

12. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    Not sure. I layered mine on. I put the weld on; then I put another layer of it on 20 minutes later. So far so good. ;)

I let mine set for 24 hours and took a gander at it. It was rock solid. I am letting it sit another 24 just to make sure. I will test it soon.

Hey Hama, I put that chrome tape on mine vertically and it came out sweet! I think I will apply it to my other sabre as well.

13. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    Chrome tape can do wonders, I have seen some nice looking sabres that were converted from the toys.

You might also want to check out Bare Metal Foil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.