main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT The Han-Leia Romance. Something I don't understand.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DARTHLINK, Oct 30, 2015.

1. IamZam

IamZam Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 19, 2002
    Very clear, they both just want their family back. It's clear they are both very much still in love, just torn because of Ben

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

2. SexyRey

SexyRey Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 23, 2015
    There's nothing wrong with Han's dialog and it would be just fine in "modern cinema".

Like someone else said, the implication is that Leia already had some feelings for Han, and they gradually developed throughout the series. Leia was also in denial and was always too focused on her duty to allow herself to have a love life.

If we consider new cannon material, you see more hints at a budding Han and Leia romance in the new Star Wars comics (which takes place in between ANH and ESB) Like Leia's response to Han having a wife.

iluvkoalas and IamZam like this.
  3. IamZam

May 19, 2002
    I've got to check those out. I've been away from a lot of the EU, both no longer canon and current canon. Those sound like something I'd love.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

4. StarWarsFTW

StarWarsFTW Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2016
    Ha that is weird because Leia is my ideal women she is smart , strong , can fend for herself , sarcastic and beautiful

IamZam and Darth Formidious like this.
  5. StarWarsFTW

StarWarsFTW Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2016
    I think it's is around the start of ESB when he is leaving you can tell she was way to worried about him leaving I thought it was a great love story a lot better then Aniken and Padmae

6. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    I think there has always been feelings of attraction since ANH, I think Leia was too proud to ever admit it. Then finally it was a full blown romance in the ESB scoundrel scene. ;)

7. Colwyn Ren

Colwyn Ren Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 16, 2015
    She was definitely protesting Han leaving to go pay off Jabba a little too strongly. At the end of the argument in the south passage you could see how flustered she was... how many emotions Han had stirred up. Emotions that she thought she was keeping hidden.

8. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    she was playing hard to get and didnt want kiss Han immediately. she is royalty so it makes sense

iluvkoalas likes this.
  9. Nate787

Nate787 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016

Finally, someone on this thread who understands simple biological attraction.

10. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Leia and Han were both stubborn. Sometimes, stubborn people are attached to each other. Plus, she liked both the good and rough aspects of his character.

iluvkoalas likes this.
  11. Adella7

Adella7 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 8, 2016
    I love the part where Leia saves him from the carbonite slab in the Return of the Jedi.

iluvkoalas likes this.
  12. IamZam

May 19, 2002
    It was the first time either met someone who spoke the same language and wasn't intimidated by the other one. They are opposite enough to be the same in some ways. They bring out the best in each other, and are a perfect compliment.

iluvkoalas likes this.
  13. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    If the OT was released in this decade, Han's antics would have the PC brigade up in arms yelling about things like misogyny and male privilege or entitlement and would lead to protests and boycotts over his treatment of a woman. Nowadays a man can't even compliment a woman or ask her out on a date without risking some kind of legal, professional, or social reprimand. Let alone corner a woman in a small closet type space and move in on her, or forcefully demand she admit she has feelings for him, the way Han did to Leia, in addition to other things. Just imagine how that "I know" line would go over in today's climate.

Darth DoJ and Dandelo like this.
  14. IamZam

May 19, 2002
    I don't agree. There was noting misogynistic about it. When she told him to back off, he did. It was clear the feeling was mutual and when he kissed her it was totally consensual as she was totally into it, and never indicated otherwise.

" I know" was for her benefit. A way of saying, don't feel guilty because I knew it all along.
    I think it is beautiful, and I am definitely a feminist.

15. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    The anything-less-than-yes-is-no crowd might wholeheartedly disagree with that assessment about the kiss being consensual. She was even trembling, remember?

And I agree, there wasn't anything misogynistic about Han. My point was that if the OT were released in today's climate, where a man can't so much as look at a woman without fear of a harassment suit, Han's actions might be considered so.

16. IamZam

May 19, 2002
    Not with fear in a scared of being hurt, but because she was scared of her feelings. He never forced himself on her. She had ample chance to say something or do something. She's hardly the type to not stand up for herself or tell him off if she wanted to. She ain't no shrinking violet, she's as feisty as they come. It wasn't him she was afraid of, it was herself.

If she wasn't interested she wouldn't have hesitated to say so. Just like earlier when she told him to let her go, he did as soon as the ship stopped shaking. \

17. MandrinaQ

MandrinaQ Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 19, 2016
    Watch the kiss closely. She leans in to it. He would have stopped, imo, but she closed the distance. Then, when the shot pulls back, you see that she's got her hand on his neck, *keeping him* kissing her. It's easy to ascribe misogyny to Han because it's easy to forget that we're dealing with two complex characters who have years of history between ANH and ESB. We didn't see those years, so we easily dismiss the deep and abiding friendship and caring that they built over that time as well as whatever UST has built up between them. That moment in the maintenance bay was YEARS in the making. They both knew what they both were feeling and they were playing a big, scary game of emotional chicken to see which one of them would flinch and admit "weakness" (read: feelings that could lead to heartache) first. Han was the chicken.

18. IamZam

May 19, 2002
    MandrinaQ
    Well said. She was totally into it. At no point does she indicate otherwise. He could see beyond her words on Hoth, and there is lot between ANH and ESB to cause him to know that. It is also clear by the way she behaves that her feelings are contrary to her words. Clearly she has reason to want him to stay, but is scared to tell him the truth because he is leaving due to the price Jabba has on his head.

She's endured a lot of loss (O(*$)# TFA) and didn't want to add him to the list. \

If you watch that kiss, she is totally into it, that's why she walks away in a daze after 3PO interrupts.

She may appear to be fighting him. but the real battle is with herself.

At no time is she scared of him, she has no qualms about standing up to him, which is one of the reasons he fell in love with her, and vise versa.

iluvkoalas and MandrinaQ like this.
  19. Darth DoJ

Darth DoJ Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 13, 2016
    The whole PC thing is ridiculous - it is clear that in the SW universe the roles are more like the old fashioned traditional roles of man and woman in pre-1950s life, but at the same time there is gender neutrality (women and men have equal rights, opportunities and privileges), and I'm glad that the OT was released in a time where it could express itself without having to tread on eggshells, but today cannot be genuinely attacked by right-wing feminists (I agree that most people who call themselves "feminists" are actually gender equalitists, but these extremists are more just about proving women are superior to and don't need men bla bla but this isn't the place to get into that) or any other social-policing group.

Rellum Kire likes this.
  20. iluvkoalas

iluvkoalas Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 6, 2015

It was consensual. She could've pushed Han out out of the way, but she didn't. She had ample opportunity to do so. It's not like he was being violent with her so that she couldn't have.

anakinfansince1983 and IamZam like this.
  21. IamZam

May 19, 2002
    If she could stand up to Vader and Tarkin, Han would hardly intimidate her. Watch her reaction when they kiss, totally into it. If he was inappropriate or she didn't want it, believe me she would make her feelings known, and quite clearly.

22. catlover43

catlover43 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 9, 2014
    She kissed him back...it's in the ESB book and it was also filmed but cut.

MandrinaQ, iluvkoalas and IamZam like this.
  23. IamZam

May 19, 2002
    I've seen that cut scene..almost too good.. ;) I love the novel..where she is surprised at her reaction of pulling him close and returning the favor.. I ca not imagine how much hotter it could have got if 3PO understood human behavior better and didn't interupt. ;)

I have a few cut scenes saved on YouTube. . I think they might have been posted a few pages ago.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

iluvkoalas likes this.
  24. Negotiator1138

Negotiator1138 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 23, 2016
    The romance probably ebbed and flowed over the course of the three years between ANH and ESB. Obvioulsy, Leia was acting hostile towards him in Empire cuz he was leaving at the beginning of the movie. He addresses their past relationship when asking about the goodbye kiss, and Leia refuses to acknowledge out of anger and by the fact that they were surrounded by people. Naturally, as they are thrust in out of danger together, Leia stops denying her feelings, surely aided by Han's constant prodding. Then before he is frozen in carbonite, i'm sure Leia not only is overcome by emotion, but she's probably feeling a little guilty for being so harsh with him for the whole movie. I think it is an incredibly natural and real love story.

Anakin and Padme on the other hand is great, but in a different way. Lucas could have just made another Leia/Han romance again, but he didn't, cuz he isn't cheap. Obviously a Jedi and a high-ranking politician aren't gonna have an easy time sorting out their feelings for eachother. Han and Leia could do what they wanted, but Padme and Anakin both kind of have their hands tied. Not to mention of course Anakin is going through an incredibly difficult time. The best moment of that whole romance is when they both accept their imminent demise at the geonosian arena. It finally feels natural then, cuz only then they can throw off their hindrances.

IamZam likes this.
  25. IamZam

May 19, 2002
    What Kenobi1138 said. (nice THX reference btw.)

I like both romances, but they are very different stories of very different people in very different situation, to say nothing of the age differences. Anakin was only 19 and had virtually no experience. Han was in his 30's and very experience and had been around the block a lot.

Leia was a rebel and not a senator any longer, she wasn't bound by the same rules her mother was. Anakin and Padme weren't allowed to have a romance but they did anyway. Nothing was in the way of Han and Leia other than themselves.

I like both stories, for very different reasons.

Kenobi1138 likes this.