main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"The Han Solo Adventures," by Brian Daley [Del Rey, 1979 - 1980]

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by dp4m, Feb 6, 2003.

?

"The Han Solo Adventures," by Brian Daley [Del Rey, 1980]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. 10 (Excellent)

59.4%
  2. 9

10.1%
  3. 8

5.8%
  4. 7

8.7%
  5. 6 (Average)

1.4%
  6. 5 (Average)

7.2%
  7. 4

1.4%
  8. 3

1.4%
  9. 2

2.9%
  10. 1 (Poor)

1.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RayLo

RayLo Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2002
    I read Stars' End when it first came out and loved it! Since there was hardly any SW literature available during that time, I ended up reading the book at least 10 times. I enjoyed the characters and Han Solo as the daring smuggler. I give Stars' End a 9 and Revenge a 7. I am just finishing up the Han Solo trilogy and I am going to read Legacy right after that.

2. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004

Absolutley awesome, the best EU series out there and in my opinion Star By Star is the only book better then Han Solo at Star's End but only by a little bit.

3. TraxxasJedi

TraxxasJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2004
    I very much enjoyed these. They were fun, and exciting.

4. master_organa

master_organa Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 5, 2004
    5, good, but I was dissapointed.

5. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    These were great. But really, is it any wonder why?

Brian Daley wrote them. I cannot think of another writer who could ever really capture the spirit better. Not Zahn, not Foster, not Stackpole. This is the same man who fleshed out the 2.25hr StarWars script into a 6.5 hour radio show, 5hr show for ESB, and 3hr for RotJ.

While some of the ideas are dated, they are what we had, and they were better than anything else at the time, and still better than a lot of the dreck we have now.

6. Darth_KindaEvilGuy

Darth_KindaEvilGuy Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 29, 2001
    10+

I first got these novels when I was a kid in the early 80's and still read these every couple of years. It is so refreshing to have a "back story" series that plays well as a stand-alone story. These are just plain old fun novels with dead-on characterizations of Han and Chewie.

If "Star's End" was written today, Jessa would have been a Force-Sensitive distant relative of Obi-Wan's who went to finishing school with a young princess from Alderaan, where she wrote a ground-breaking thesis on the effect of space-time during the Kessel Run, making parsec a unit of time (which probably would have been preferable to the Maw and Crispin's explanation).

There's only one element I can think of that is somewhat contrived in order to explain something in the movies. At some point, Han receives an injury to his chin and doesn't have the benefit of a "synth-patch" to treat it. This explains Harrison Ford's scar a la "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade".

My favorite sequence is at the beginning of "Lost Legacy" where Chewie is sporting an admiral's hat and tells a couple of co-eds that Han is his co-pilot. Good stuff!

7. crashdown

crashdown Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    -10-

I just finished these stories.....really fun.
    I felt that Han Solo's Revenge was a bit slower (I give it a 9) but still a great read.
    I really like how the relationship between Han and Chewbacca is written. You learn a lot about them.

whostheBossk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.