main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

the hardest game you ever played ?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by effortless_skill, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wesjanson1138

wesjanson1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2001
    Dark Forces on hard was pretty difficult. Especially since you can't save your game. Having to go somewhere when you're in the middle of a level is frustrating...

2. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Right now, Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb...specifically Von Beck's Revenge. I can;'t get past that part...it's gone and ruined the whole game for me...what a wicked, horrible level.

3. portman_is_so_fine

portman_is_so_fine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Hardest game I've ever play?

It would have to be Splinter Cell.

4. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    TMNT (nes)
    Zelda 2
    Ghosts and Goblins
    Mega Man 1

And finally, the hardest RPG i've ever played. This game kicked you in the ass.. hard. The dungeons were hell and the damn game had to come with a hint book and maps for every level... and it still didn't help:

Phantasy Star 2

5. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    Rebel Assault (PC)

I can't believe someone mentioned this.

I mean, the targeting reticule snaps to any nearby target, so you only have to get close to a target and get an auto-lock. Rebel Assault is easy, even on the "hard" setting. The only level that was really any problem for me was that ******* snow cave level. Until I learned the fastest route out ;)

Hardest game? Has to be the old school Lunar Lander (or whatever it's called). The one where you have to vector your thrust and make it to the landing site. If you don't land just perfectly in the low-grav environment, game over. I think I've only gotten past 6 levels in that game.

6. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Eh, Splinter Cell (and even Halo on "Legendary") are easy to beat on the hardest diffiulty levels. All one has to remember is to proceed carefully instead of charging like a bull through a china shop.

Now, Half-life was pretty damn diificult to beat (especially on the final levels) if you didn't cheat.

7. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    Exactly. In both SC and Halo, the AI doesn't get any smarter at a higher difficulty, there's just more of them and you're easier to kill.

8. DarthBobbalot

DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    The Empire Strikes Back for the NES/GB.

Anyone who's played it can tell you why.

Holy crap yes. That game took me 2 months of playing an hour or two every night to get it beaten... And ive only beaten it once before. That is a friggen impossible game. You die with one hit sometimes, and falling... GAH!!!! KILL THE MAKERS OF THAT GAME!!! and there were NO saves either!!
    Wow that game was tuff... unnecisarily too, i think

9. Master_JoshuaWindu

Master_JoshuaWindu Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2001
    am i the only one who couldnt beat the first level of Contra?

10. DarthBobbalot

Mar 5, 2002
    ha, i think so man.
    I loved that game. I thought it was easy...
    But then, i had my brother playin with me on co-op so i guess it would have been harder goin solo...

11. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    The hardest game for me had to have been "Indiana Jones: The Inferno Machine" for N64, as no instructions or helpful hints told you where you needed to go, or what you needed to get to plass the level. Plus need I say the thousands of glitches. 8-}

12. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    And Kid Icarus. That game was amazingly difficult.

13. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ..ya know, i'd forgotten about "Kid Icarus".. I only ever played it for the Gameboy, but it was pretty tough.. Though i also felt it was pretty poorly designed, too..

14. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Probably Battletoads. When I beat it I almost had an orgasm.

15. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    Battletoads was pure cruelty. It was ludricous how damn difficult that game was.

The SNES and Genesis remalers were just as bloody hard.

And then there is Battletoads VS. Double Dragon, which was even harder.

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I've NEVER seen anyone get past the third level of Battletoads (the speederbike one), that was one game where Game Genie was standard-issue for people since you needed it if you ever wanted to play level 4 and beyond.

I wonder what it is that changed in gaming where games stopped being so challenging? It seems the majority of the titles on NES and to a lesser degree, the SNES, were mad harder than most of the titles available since that age.

17. DarthBobbalot

Mar 5, 2002
    Well, games like tetris and duckhunt are hard and all when you get up in levels. They make games nowadays that arent as monotonously stupid. Not stupid, but monotonously and uneededly hard. Ive never played battletoads, but ive played some hard games that were made in the 80's that were just stupid that they were so hard. Game dev's now realize that a game is fun if it is possible to beat.

18. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    BladeRunner. Several different paths - but I have never been able to finish this 4 CD game.

19. TripleB

TripleB Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2000
    Shadows of the Empire on its highest difficulty was not easy, thats for sure.

One of the reasons why Robocop for the X-Box scored 3.2 rating from IGN was because of the diffiuclty.

BUt I will have to say G-Police and whatever that space version that was made by the same company, Star something or another where you were a fighter pilot, was freaking the hardest game I remember.

20. Master_Y-wing

Master_Y-wing Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    Battletoads? i remember that one. my cousin could make it to like the fifth or sixth level and die.i remember beating the first level.

21. THE_MISSING_TRIPLET

THE_MISSING_TRIPLET Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    well the game that took me the longest was ocarina of time, i kept getting lost in those stupid dungeons, i beat it in a summer though

22. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    Only level in Ocarina of Time that gave me trouble was the Water Temple. I hate that level. Only redeeming aspect was the battle with Dark Link.

Christ, that level was torture, confusing and long.

Where is the law that states that every water level/temple/world/dungeon must be frustrating to no end?

23. TripleB

TripleB Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2000
    The Water Temple? Yes, that took forever. I beleive I spent a good week playing it 3 hours a day before I passed it.....

GRRRR, thanks for reminding me.

24. Not_Applicable

Not_Applicable Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Funny, I never had any real trouble with the Water Temple. Before I came here I had no idea so many people agonized through it. Ah well.

25. Jedi_Jason5001

Jedi_Jason5001 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2001
    So what was so bad Super Empire for Snes? I played hte first level and was ok but since i havent been able to play that long, what was so bad and worse about it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.