main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Hardest Lesson - Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan - JA

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by CYNICAL21, Jun 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    OK - taking just a few minutes here to try to get in a few replys. Isn't it just awful that we have to take time out from what's important - like playing around in here - for ogreish things like jobs and obligations? :D

Anyway - first of all - for anybody who's interested, yes, FF.N is back up, although it's as balky as a mule at the moment, and the next chapter of AUF is up, as well. With all the trouble I had with it, I was almost afraid to try to upload it, for fear of crashing the web, or something equally dire. :eek:

Cas - Obi did hear some of what the attackers said. But why would they want the Jedi there?

Why indeed? Of course, if you change the statement into a question, you change the meaning - ya know?

TF - Like warm milk left out on a hot day - the plot thickens.

Oy! What an image!

Ginger - Ahh it all seems so happy but just wait. BAM! No more spontaneous bursting into song.

Makes you wonder what kind of diabolical mind is drawing this pic, doesn't it? :)

Nat - My fingers are all shaky now, CYN! I knew he'd survive, but it was so... and I felt so.... I'm... It's...

Slow, deep breathing - that's the ticket. And if you know nothing else about my writing, know this -- never assume anything. :eek:

Tim - MMMMMM....crow isn't bad, really. Tried grilling it with some cajun seasoning and was better than I expected.

A little etouffee sauce wouldn't hurt either - and a dash of tabasco. :)

Shan - When you like Qui it really shows, and boy does it ever show when you don't

Now why in the world would you say that? [face_mischief]

Sabercrazy - ::stammers incohearantly::

Perfect - that's exactly what a writer always wants to do, in the theory that reducing one's readers to incoherence allows one to get away with holes in the plot, etc. :)

Healer Leona The story of the Bridal Veil was very amusing and the idea of the Masters runing enmass to the padawans was fabulous!!

Glad you liked it. I always think the richness of a story is in the details.

OK - Guys. As always, I am purring like a cat in cream from your wonderful remarks. I will hope to wrap this up in a couple more post (considerably less than my customary 300,000 words, in case anybody doubted me). Will try to post again tomorrow, but, since FF.N is back up, there's another little opus that's demanding my attention - to the point that, if I don't get back into that, I may be hunted down by a cyber-posse and - oh, it just doesn't bear thinking about.

Have a good week-end, All.

CYN

2. TheFallen

TheFallen Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    Oy! What an image!

I've always wanted to use that analogy. ;) :D

3. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Makes you wonder what kind of diabolical mind is drawing this pic, doesn't it?

Well my list is relatively long but I'll take a WILD guess and point at MYSELF! :p

*takes her medication*

Ahh a delightful giggle as always Cyn...

4. Sugar_Bear

Sugar_Bear Jedi Master star 3

Dec 14, 2001

Lovely post! Innocence is hard to capture without being boring or sappy, but Obi and Trell are neither being blessed with plenty of charm, wit and sass.

Exceptionally moving was Qui-Gon's emotional confession that it was devastating for him to choose the duty of protecting the Queen over helping his outnumbered eventually wounded padawan. Such are the accepted ethics of a Jedi, but it was still nice to hear the honorable master voice his deep feelings for Obi and his relief at the ordeal's outcome.

5. Enigma_Jade

Enigma_Jade Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2001
    Great post, CYN! Loved Obi's reaction to the bacta. . .I can certainly understand how he feels! Just the thought of being trapped in a little tube with sticky goo all around you definitely does not appeal to me. ;) Although, I wouldn't mind having a certain DDG padawan all wrapped up that way. . . 8-}

More AUF is up?? [face_shocked] :D :D Gee, I know where I'm headed off to next!

EJ :)

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Grrr, somehow I managed to overlook a number of fine posts before my last reply. The attck leaves me wondering what's going on as much as Obi and Trell's desire to be a kid is so endearing. I can't imagine living the kind of life she's about to embark on.

Exquiste posts Cynical!!

7. Cascadia

Cascadia Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Of course, if you change the statement into a question, you change the meaning - ya know?

CYN , I reread that part and you're right, the meaning completely changes, and... it makes more sense that way, too. But with you... who knows. [face_mischief]

I loved the passionate disclosure by Qui-Gon of how much he loves his precious padawan - even as subtle as it was. You do their feelings and interaction so well. Trell comes across so innocently in this chapter, that it almost makes me believe she has had nothing to do with the threats or attack. I was so sure before, but you have me wondering now.

I have a question. You've said Obi isn't fully human, and indicated his aversion to bacta tanks. Is this story intended to be consistent with AUF? Obi is sixteen, if I remember correctly, which could have been before Tahl's death and Qui's distancing from him, so the timing fits.

And speaking of that epic symphony of words, I cannot get past the home page at FFN. I can't even access AUF through the link in your signature. I'm about to panic. :_|

8. TheFallen

Nov 27, 2001
    I'm most terrified. The "new" chapter of AUF isn't appearing at FF.NET.

Then again - why would this surprise me? ?[face_plain]

9. Darth_Tim

Darth_Tim Jedi Master star 4

Feb 26, 2002
    Regarding FFN: apparently both search and login features are disabled til the 24th....so "It'll be up by the 22nd, but you won't be actually able to DO much of anything until (at least) 2 days later..."

Figures.

-Tim

10. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    Oh my, CYN. I think that was one of the lovliest posts i've ever read.

Anything else I have to say just wouldn't do it justice. I loved it.

:) (sigh)

11. sabercrazy

sabercrazy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    ::works jaw around::

Is my ability to speak back yet? Oh goody!!

::looks at latest post::

::bursts out laughing::

Oh that's great CYN!!!

Qui having to save Obi from some severe embarrisment!! And Obi waking up to Qui and the queen!

What a picture!

[face_laugh] :D

12. CYNICAL21

Jul 8, 2001
    Morning, All.

RE: FF.N - It was up for a wee bit yesterday - and I did upload the new chapter - but, today - it's GONE. If you think I'm not getting paranoid over this one little portion of this story - think again! :D

Re: Obi's humanity - he's a member of of a human sub-species - meaning he has all the right parts (as is obvious if you've ever bothered to take a look at the 'body' of his work - think The Pillow Book), but there are some slight variations in the internal arrangements. As for the part that's different, someone suggested he might be part angel - sounds right to me. [face_love]

Thanks to all for the kind words - will try to get a new post up today, but can't promise. My new meditation mantra is, "I hate my job - I hate my job." Maybe that will give you some idea of what I'm doing sitting at my desk, knee deep in spreadsheets and budget calls, on SUNDAY morning - and that's also why a post today is iffy.

Ciao FN.

CYN

13. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Cyn, you can actually write Qui-Gon sympathetically. I am all astonishment. Love your work, both here and on FF.N (even if I don't always agree with your portrayal of Qui-Gon).

What is it with FF.N? I have been waiting with bated breath for the next chapter of AUF and it's still not there. I know, I know, it's not really your fault...maybe you should rethink and post AUF on theforce.net's board? Please...

14. CYNICAL21

Jul 8, 2001
    dianethx - Thanks for the kudoes - and I really don't hate Qui - all the time, although I do admit that I wanted to wipe that smug I-am-th-great-Jinn-don't question-me look off his face in TPM. At least, in my imagination, I can picture what I think the relationship between the two should have been - and that's what I'm writing here. Anyone is free to disagree, of course, but I just don't understand how anyone can take a kid, at 12 or 13, and spend the next decade molding the child into - whatever - and NOT have a parental relationship and NOT develop a love for the child. If that's supposed to be the Jedi way - I don't think I'd want to give MY kid to them.

Uh-oh - did that qualify as a rant? :eek:

RE - posting AUF here. If you recall, in many places, it isn't exactly PG rated, meaning I'd have to rewrite it, almost completely - and I just don't have the time. Besides all of which, it's not really a PG type story, dealing more, I think, with adult themes and questions - and, NO, that does not necessarily mean sex. I happen to believe that violence and emotional abuse are much more objectionable for children to read than a few visuals of sexual encounters or an occasional 4-letter word.

So, anyway, I'll just have to wait for FF.N to get over its schizo behavior - and try again.

Ciao FN.

CYN

15. CYNICAL21

Jul 8, 2001
    OK - folks. As someone remarked earlier - the plot thickens - and we're getting to the nitty-gritty, within the next couple of posts.

Hope you enjoy.

CYN

Lord Kaffia and Master Jinn sat before a bank of security monitors, enjoying the relative silence of the moment, and the warm aroma of freshly brewed jaffa, poured scalding hot into sturdy mugs and cooling now, just to the point of being drinkable without fear of third-degree burns. Second-degree, they were prepared to risk.

The Kyrian took his morning cup straight and pure and black - but the Jedi indulged his sweet tooth (the existence of which was a deep, dark secret, known only to a select few, including a cheeky apprentice who occasionally threatened to 'go public' with such a shameful confidence) - and which self-same apprentice frequently referred to as a 'character flaw' - by adding generous dollops of Kyrian honey to the dark liquid.

The two scanned the monitors continually, even though it was entirely unnecessary and illogical for them to do so. Security droids maintained a constant surveillance, on both the imaging system and the individuals it monitored, and were more than ably backed up by an impressive, well-trained staff of security professionals.

Nevertheless, the Security Chief and the Jedi remained vigilant.

At that moment, the Crown Princess of Kyri was vigorously toweling her dripping hair, having just emerged from a lovely free-form pool, as her companion sprawled in a lounge chair, gorging himself on baqi melon and the contents of a huge pastry tray that appeared to contain every possible type of sweet roll or muffin ever conceived by man.

Neither, Qui-Gon had been happy to discover, was nude, despite the earlier reference to 'skinny-dipping' - although to observe that the swimwear worn by either left little to the imagination would be an understatement of epic proportions.

Having completed her attention to her own tresses, Princess Trell moved behind Obi-Wan and proceeded to dry his hair, paying special attention to the padawan braid - and was rewarded by having a caroba muffin shoved in her face.

Which, of course, led to another dip in the pool - this time in pursuit of an Obi-Wan quite beside himself with laughter.

Qui-Gon Jinn sat in silence, watching the lovely innocence of two who were surely chosen of the gods - and felt a heaviness squeeze his heart - both for the destiny that awaited this young, artless girl - and for the loss of innocence that Obi-Wan was sure to face, probably before he got much older. In a way, it was almost miraculous that he had managed to preserve it until now - and the Master thought that it had only been possible because of the intense goodness that lived inside his padawan - and reflected darkness away from him, like a bright mirror.

The ability to see nothing but the good - to have faith in the rightness of one's cause and to believe that right would always prevail - was a wonderful, precious gift that should be protected and nurtured for as long as possible. But it was - ultimately - a transitory quality, destined to fall away from the heart that contained it, as surely as youth falling away from passing years.

No matter how diligent he was, Qui-Gon knew that he could not preserve this purity that dwelled in his Obi-Wan's consciousness - and knew that he would grieve for the loss of something irreplaceable on the day it was finally lost.

The Master allowed himself a small sigh. "Are we at least granting them the illusion of privacy?" he asked finally, noting that the multitude of angles of the same view showing on the monitors indicated a wealth of cameras, strategically placed.

Lord Kaffia nodded. "Spy remotes," he replied. "No bigger than my thumbnail, that move like palca-bees - and look like them as well. They're made to go unnoticed."

The Kyrian turned to study the face of the man whom he had known for most of his adult life. "What bothers you, my friend?"

Qui-Gon smiled.

16. TheFallen

Nov 27, 2001
    Another positively glowing post. [face_love]

17. Cascadia

Cascadia Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Wow, great post, CYN . Makes me want to slip in my bathing suit and plop in a pool. Now if only Obi were there, it would be perfect. A girl can dream, can't she?

Excuse me while I go drink a tall glass of muja juice.

18. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Another stellar post Cynical. I enjy the dialog between Kaffia and Qui-Gon as much as the antics of the adolescents!! :) :)

I've begun to read Un Untimely Frost... when I can get FF.N to work properly. Finished Ch. 4 and now can't seem to load #5. I'll try again tomorrow. I must say I've found it riveting. I don't see a dislike in your writing of Qui-Gon at all. Of course my view is that he's a terribly wounded man, unable to deal with his losses, thus causing all the more pain to his padawan. All in all exquistely written.

19. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Ispent the weekend in the swimming pool, but I didn't see a handome young Padawan there to play with. He must have gotten lost on the way to Palm Springs :D

20. sabercrazy

sabercrazy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    CYN you have me SO jealous right now!! How do you do it? HOW?? You had me laughing outload, grinning from ear to ear, and shivering at the dark foreboding that's hanging around. All in one post!!!!

21. Sugar_Bear

Sugar_Bear Jedi Master star 3

Dec 14, 2001

A pool, a padawan and a princess with fun and games on her mind make for wet and wild fun in this delightful post!

It's an attractive quality when a Jedi knows his duty, but also how to let his hair down too.

Picturing a water-logged Obi was dreamy, but imagining a sweaty Obi playing dodge ball isn't too shabby either!

22. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Ahh that was fun :D

Qui-Gon's sweet tooth [face_laugh] Who would have thought it! :p

23. Darth_Tim

Darth_Tim Jedi Master star 4

Feb 26, 2002
    Ahh, a delectable mixture of the innocent and ominous, Cyn. I have a feeling this is one of the "post before something bad happens soon" posts...heheh.

Kitara: I went swimming this weekend myself and didn't see any scantily clad young female royalty either, so don't feel bad. LOL.

-Tim

24. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    The interaction between Trell and Obi is so sweet. There definately seems to be a shadow of foreboding lurking near however.

I do hope that Trell is not aware of what is going on, and if so she takes care to not let Obi get hurt again.

And once again, i am blown away by your portrayal of the loving, affectionate relationship between master and apprentice. I look forward to the comfort that Qui will inevitably have to offer to Obi when all is revealed.

Thank you so much by the way, for posting this fic during our time of need (re: ff.n being down and having no access to AUF) You have managaged to soothe the withdrawl sympotms somewhat :D Later.

25. CYNICAL21

Jul 8, 2001
    Morning, All. Am up to my ears in a major project at work - so can't respond to each of you as I'd like.

I will just say this - FF.N, as of this very moment, IS up - and Chap. 35 IS posted. But that doesn't mean it will still be there an hour from now. :eek:

Hope to post here again today or (more likely) tomorrow, and might get a chance to duck in to say hello before that.

CIAO for now.

CYN

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.