main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The harmonious "TFA is Chewbacca's best movie, so say all of us" thread of solidarity

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by AllAboutThatMace, Dec 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knightstalker137

Knightstalker137 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2003
    He kicked more ass in this than all four previous movie appearances combined.

2. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    It was nice showing off his crossbow finally. It's odd than in the OT he basically only shoots it once in all 3 movies.

ANH - Not at all
    ESB - Technically once in the slug gut, but it's so close up it's almost an offscreen shot
    ROTJ - The only real shot when he takes down the escaping speeder bike on endor

3. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Super nerd quibble on the bowcaster, it would have been better/funnier if it had unwieldy heavy for Han when he tried to use it.

4. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014

Well its ranged weapon, a rifle not a pistol. Chewie and Han were using it from distances and it maintained its penetrative integrity. Han even uses it because its such a powerful weapon and has range. Chewie would often make long distance shots and hit his mark , he took out a bike scout in ROTJ.

5. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Co-sign. He was my co-MVP of this film, along with BB-8.

Dra--- likes this.
  6. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
  7. Lobot_the_Jedi

Lobot_the_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 30, 2002
    I agree for the first time we got to see Chewie as more than just a side kick. He really upped his game in this one.

I think the writers realized they were given a rare gift in Chewie's character - he's a OT character who has been there from the start but, as he was always a side kick to Han was the only such character whose personality was never really defined. The icing on the cake is that because he's not human age is not an issue. He can keep being part of the cast for quite a long time as opposed to a human character.

It seems the writers recognized this and really brought Chewie into his own. And they did a fantastic job.

I'm really looking forward to seeing him in Episode VIII.

8. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015
    There was a lot of humor in this movie, and Chewie had a part in a lot of the funny scenes.

9. darthjj88

darthjj88 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 31, 2012
    Agreed, he was a major player in this film. Tragic as well

10. Jack-Burton

Jack-Burton Jedi Master

May 17, 2002
    Definitely agree wholeheartedly.
    However, I'd also attribute Chewie's tour de force performance to his co-stars. At no point did the actors sound as though they were reciting lines to a walking rug.

AllAboutThatMace and Skellybobs like this.
  11. arjank

arjank Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2015
    Yeah, chewie rocked in TFA. He was more then a mere side-kick.

Dra--- likes this.
  12. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Chewie flirting with the medic at the Resistance base was so unexpected and hysterical.

13. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    CONFESSION: I've never liked Chewbacca. And I never understood why people liked him so much. He was always just kind of there from my point of view.

Now I think he's cool as ****.

They gave him a lot of character, and made him seem intelligent for once, not this big dumb oaf.

EDIT: I think there was a purpose behind suddenly making him a very prominent figure--Han is gone, and Chewie will represent Han in spirit now. When we see Chewie, we'll think of Han. Chewie will be fighting the First Order in memory of Han, as a tribute to his best friend. I'm getting misty just typing this.

EDIT 2: And Maz saying she loves that Wookie gives him more character than he had before--she is old and wise, is a great judge of character, and has met countless beings through the centuries, but she loves Chewbacca.

14. Aeneas 1138

Aeneas 1138 Jedi Knight star 1

May 1, 2014
    I think he was taken more seriously as a character and as a person in this film. In the OT, he is more of a sidekick, and indeed a novelty because he is alien. Some of the comments about him in the OT ("walking carpet"; "he's only a Wookie") come across as somewhat, how to put it, racist/speciesist/humanocentric from an IU perspective (although I think there was one similar line in TFA). Maybe I am reading too much into it.

15. Bountyman

Bountyman Jedi Master star 1

Mar 22, 2002
    Chewie rocked! He has also always been one of my favorites. When he saw Leia and went up and hugged up on her and she responded like she was seeing her long lost pet/guardian, that was awesome!

16. DiditAllForTheWookie

DiditAllForTheWookie Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2001
  17. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Agreed. The use of Chewie in this film was pitch perfect.

18. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Without a doubt! He was funnier and more expressive than we've ever seen him. I'm almost compelled to call him my favorite character in the film.

JJ loves Chewbacca, and it shows.

19. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    agree 100% finn trying to patch up chewie was awesome then han yelling out if you hurt him you have me to deal with. maz calling chewie her husband and him staying back at the falcon to avoid her. complaining about the cold. bonding with rey. going crazy when han dies, and then the best part telling his story to the nurse who then calls him brave as chewie has a little sook loved it

20. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
  21. PapiNacho

PapiNacho Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2015
    I agree; this was the first time I cared for him as a character.

22. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
  23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I know that it was said in The Hutt Gambit in the 90's. Not sure before that.

24. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Chewie was beyond awesome in this one. In the previous installments, he was only a background character. The closest he came to having his own moment to shine was when he boarded that AT-ST in ROTJ and proceeded to kick some ass. In TFA, he's got the action sequences, the character moments, the humor, and more heroics.

25. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I was glad to finally see the bowcaster get a lot of attention and as being a powerful weapon. He was shown shooting it in the space slug and once on Endor, but there was nothing special about those shots. I wouldn't go so far as to call Chewbacca a "background character" though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.