main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

THE HARRY POTTER THREAD OF FIAL! (spoilers highlighted- none yet though)

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother 4' started by darth_boy, Jul 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I think this one is a lot more predictable than most of the previous ones (although I thought that Harry would stay dead).

Is there any point to blacking out the spoilers after the release date? Anyone who gives a damn is surely avoiding the internet.

2. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Well, of course it's predictable. If you've been paying attention to the books over the entire series, it's hard not to anticipate where things are going to lead. In fact, what's most remarkable to me is that she was so faithful to the path she laid out and didn't just throw in random stuff for no reason. The themes have always been consistent.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Random crap? Yeah, I'm glad the Lost and X-Files writers haven't gotten ahold of the franchise. :p

4. _princess_leia_

_princess_leia_ Jedi Master star 6

Feb 23, 2004
    With the whole wide world of ear-related humour before you, you go for holey?

5. GIMER

GIMER Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 15, 2000
    Finished it yesterday at 5:00.
    With kids it was a lot harder to find the time to read it.

Loved most of it.
    The style was much harder to read this time in sections - almost to the point it was boring whenever we had to read the exposition. - Articles and letters.
    It had to be done, but those parts were kind of boring.

The 19 years later was not lame. It was her way of saying it is finished. I'm not going to write more Harry stories because this is what happens happily ever after.

I wish she had told us though about Luna being headmaster.

At Potterpalooza the other night, some idiot teens drove by and screamed out "Ron Weasley dies!"
    This was before the books were released, so either they were just trying to get people going, or didn't read the whole thing on the internet and thought he was dead after the 7 Harry ploy.
    Damn kids!

6. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    the 18 years later thing wasnt lame, because i wanted it since the start, so we could know how things panned out for them. However there is no denying it was corny, the years later thing is always corny.

7. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I think, that had that bit not been written by Rowling many years ago, it wouldn't have appeared in DH. She put it there, IMO, more as a duty to her own sense of achievement than anything else.

8. GIMER

Nov 15, 2000

9. _princess_leia_

_princess_leia_ Jedi Master star 6

Feb 23, 2004
    *Fred

10. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    ^ didnt type that :p

I thought the nod Malfoy gave was interesting and really well handled. Even if he saved his life, Malfoy wasnt going to be the type to have a full 180 on personality

11. GIMER

Nov 15, 2000
    Edited thus. You might want to HTL that since it could be interpreted.
    That's how unimportant it really was in the whole picture.

EDIT:
    Oh yeah, add Snape and Hedwig to the death list. Snape had to die at some point. It was inevitable.

12. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I think that's an appalling thing to say. There's no justification for taking someone else's work - that they are entitled to profit from as much as they can - and simply putting it out there for anyone to read for free. None. It matters not what the thief's motives were. All that matters is their actions. I work in publishing, and back her stance completely. Additionally, the 'release' of the electronic version simply enabled more people access to the details of the plot and raised the risk of accidental (or even deliberate) spoilage to those who had tred so very very hard to avoid being spoiled. That is a terrible terrible thing, and defending the person's actions is patently absurd.

13. GIMER

Nov 15, 2000
    Yes it was theft plain and simple.
    Plus a signed agreement between the publisher and the distributor was violated on top of that.

14. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Another thing. I notice the thread in Census about how spoiled you were for Deathly Hallows. Now, aside from the fact I don't understand the motivation for finding out parts of the story before you encounter them in their proper narrative place... I doubly don't understand how one could want to read the electronic version of the book above and tragically, before, the printed volume. Part of the treasure is the feel of the book in your hands, the print, the feel of object. To sacrifice that for the cheap thrill of reading the story before it was meant to be read is a dreadful loss. This was the finale, this was the last visit to Rowling's fantastic Universe, and you chose to cheapen it. Honestly, what is wrong with a little patience and respect for the book?

Just sayin' is all.

15. GIMER

Nov 15, 2000
    I stayed away from anything that could possibly spoil me.
    I am making sure now that I finished, not to spoil my wife's reading.

16. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Exactly right too.

For me, the process of deliberately spoiling, or assisting the process of accidental spoilage, is a phenomenal intellectual crime.

17. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Why did The Elder Wad not fly out of Tom's hand when he used it on Harry in the clearing in the forest? He was trying to use it to harm it's rightful owner, and yet it did nothing.

18. GIMER

Nov 15, 2000
    It attacked the Voldemort part of Harry and destroyed it.

19. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Ah yes. And Harry (the person) survived because so long as Voldemort lives, Harry must too.

One thing I would've liked (or perhaps I missed it) was a mention somewhere in the book (prior to Voldemort's death) that the Elder Wand would not allow harm to befall its master. And how did the wand know it was not really attacking Harry.

20. GIMER

Nov 15, 2000
    Well the wand knew, because wands have these little things in them called midicholorians...

I don't think the wand did anything to stop its master from harm. I think it just can't be used against it's master. Also I believe the Elder Wand is supposed to be unbeatable, which means to me, in a battle against it, it couldn't be beaten. You could still defeat the wand's master when he wasn't using the wand?

21. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    I was very confused by the whole "Draco's the wand master so I'm the wand master" thing. How did Draco become the wand master? Did I miss something somewhere? I even went back to HBP to see what happened and there's no mention of Draco having ever had the wand.

22. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I'm writing this out to clear it in my head.

I must also assume that the disarming of the true master of the Elder Wand (Malfoy in this case) can occur without the Elder Wand being anywhere near the event. Because, as Tom paraded about with the Elder Wand, the Wand itself knew that Harry had disarmed Draco at Malfoy Manor. Thus in order to win mastery of the Elder Wand, you simply have to disarm the current master no matter what wand the current master is using at the time.

When Draco bursts out onto the top of the Astronomy Tower, he shouts "Expelliarmus". This results in the Elder Wand flying out of Dumbledore's hand and off over the edge of the tower. Now, without realising he's done anything of the sort, Draco Malfoy is the new master of the Elder Wand. He has 'won it' from Dumbledore. Snape then finishes Dumbledore off, leaving Tom under the false impression Snape is its new master. In due course Tom kills Snape, can't operate the Wand correctly and sees his own Killing Curse rebound upon himself because the Elder Wand wll not harm Harry. This time Tom has no Horcruxes to fall back on, so this time Tom dies.

23. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Cheers, Chris. Thanks for that. And I agree with your analysis of why Harry was the master of the wand despite not actually "winning" it from Malfoy directly.

24. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    This was only the case during OotP, HBP and DH. Harry was very capable of dying during the first four books.

Perversely, I suppose, had Harry actually died prior to the graveyard scene in GoF, Tom would've succeeded in destroying one of his own Horcruxes.

25. OBIWAN-JR

OBIWAN-JR Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 25, 2002
    Finished.

LOVED IT.

I sobbed a lot whilst reading.

So glad that I was proved right about Snape.

-JR :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.