main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Hasbro Cinematic Universe (G.I. Joe, M.A.S.K., Micronauts, Visonaries & ROM) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by slimybug, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    It's a perfect chance to let Zarana show up.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Some talk of the progression of the third film from the last 3 months or so:

Could Tatum Return on GI Joe 3?

"G.I. Joe: Retaliation" director Jon Chu and "Divergent" scribe Evan Daugherty are currently working on the script for a third "G.I. Joe" movie. Chu claims he is "taking it to another level with this one...it's gonna be a really fun movie. We're taking it in a whole new direction."

The plan is to mix some old favorites with some new characters played by well-regarded actors. In regard to the new characters, Chu tells MTV that they will be "exciting ones that I know the fans will love, and people that I've always wanted to work with"

The big surprise though was the idea that Channing Tatum could return to the series despite his apparent death in the second: "You never know. Storm Shadow died in the first one and came back in the second one, and then other characters have died and never come back. The G.I. Joe world, the best thing about it is you never know who's coming back and who's not."

Chu Scales Back GI Joe 3 Tatum Rumors

The other week, “G.I. Joe: Retaliation” director Jon M. Chu said that the nature of this film franchise’s universe means that “you never know who's coming back,” pointing to the way that Storm Shadow seemingly died in the first one and came back in the second one.

This quickly led to speculation that Channing Tatum could return as Duke for the inevitable “G.I. Joe 3” which Chu is currently developing. Now, out on the press tour for “Justin Bieber's Believe,” Chu now says that the original quote was taken out of context. Speaking with Coming Soon, he tries to better explain what he meant:

”It all gets carried away again. They asked me about Channing and I don't know. You never know in these movies, and that's all I said, and suddenly it became ‘Channing Tatum might be back.’ To me, every possibility is open and we're writing the script right now and we're figuring everything out.

It's an extremely low possibility when you kill somebody like that, it's pretty much it, but you never know with G.I. Joe. We did that with Storm Shadow, too.

I love being active in world-building, so we're working on G.I. Joe 3 right now. We're designing tons of stuff, which takes a little bit, but to me, that's obviously where I like to push myself and where I want to be for a long time and get to know better.

I'm excited to bring in new characters and fun things beyond Dwayne Johnson and Bruce Willis that we're working on and some great villains, but we're forming those ideas now. I'm really excited - it's going to be a whole 'nother level… I think we're going to be shooting next year. We're pretty motivated to get that up.”

Chu Talks GI Joe 3

Filmmaker Jon M. Chu recently spoke with Collider about plans for the third "G.I. Joe," saying the likely direction for the franchise's next chapter is to do something different rather than bigger:

"It's definitely not about making it bigger 'cause we went pretty big last time and it didn’t necessarily make it better...

In terms of Joe, I think it’s more about being creative with it and giving the audience something different and new. We've had two G.I. Joes now, in two very different ways, and we have to take the lessons that we learned with those two to try to make the best Joe possible.

I love that it has classic storytelling. I always try to bring that back and try to make it simpler. It doesn’t have to be big, but you have to have more creative fighting and simpler storytelling, so you can enjoy it."

Chu also talked about how his commitment to a third "G.I. Joe," and to making the franchise better, meant that he had to drop out of the "Masters of the Universe" film reboot:

"It was timing. We did so much for Masters, and the script is awesome. I love that project. I would have loved to do it. The problem with Joe is that we have a specific timeline and I need to be on that timeline. Masters wasn’t ready to go, at that moment.

And I have a loyalty to G.I. Joe. I don’t feel like I’ve fulfilled the promise I gave, to bring everything I love about Joe to the script. I feel like we did a lot of foundational stuff. We cleared the way. We brought the movie back to life, but at the same time, there’s so much more to do, to make it even better.

I learned a lot on the last one [Retaliation], and I want to put that into practice and make this one even better, and make it have life for many, many movies in the future, whether I’m doing them or not."

Chu says the third "G.I. Joe" will probably shoot sometime this year. The script is still being done and pre-production is in full swing.

3. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Why did they change most of the cast in the 2nd one?

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Because the only way to salvage the perfect casting of Ray Park without totally rebooting was to kill off everyone else ;).

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  5. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I remember in the comic Snake Eyes and Scarlett had romance?

6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I don't know. How would I know what you remember and what you don't?

Point Given likes this.
  7. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I'm not sure, I only watched the cartoon in my childhood, didn't read the comic much.

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Retaliation was more fun than it should've been and a gigantic step up from Rise of Crapola. I'm hoping 3 continues to build on what made 2 so enjoyable and then some. The sword fight on the cliff was exhilarating.

9. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I think they should have picked Tina Fey to play Baroness.

10. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Did you have her playing the role in a movie that takes itself seriously or having it be a campy comedy 80s cartoon in live action movie?

11. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    The 80s show did a much much better job on the character than that stupid 2009 movie. :mad:

12. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Well Community is aparently doing a GI Joe themed episode

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  13. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Which characters do you wish to return and appear in the 3rd movie?

I hope we could get Scarlett, Roadblock, General Hawk, Jaye, Cobra Commander and Destro back, then to have Zarana and Tomax/Xamot brothers show up. Dr. Mindbender would be nice, too if he could play a more important role.

Too bad they totally ruined Baroness, I couldn't think of a logical way to fix it.

14. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope Skeltor appears.

15. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Do you guys think the movies gave Cobra too many "brains" but enough "muscle"? Cobra Commander, Destro and Zartan had little fighting skill, and Storm Shadow defected, Firefly is dead.

16. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    They need to feature Battle Force 2000 and the Eco-Warriors. The enemy should be an alliance between Cobra-La and the Lunartix Empire.

Juke Skywalker and CT-867-5309 like this.
  17. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Cobra-La's technology is quite amazing, and Nemesis Enforcer was badass.

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Nemesis Enforcer is inferior to Sgt. Slaughter, therefore your argument is invalid.

[​IMG]

19. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I had that four-armed Lunartix figure. I don't remember what it was called, for I always called him Goro.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  20. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    That's because Sgt. Slaughter is more badass.

21. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Everyone(thing) is inferior to Sgt. Slaughter! I'm a huge ARAH era Joe fan. It's second only to Star Wars in my personal geekdom, and it's a close second. I recently re-watched the "Arise, Serpentor, arise" mini-series where the Sarge makes his Joe debut, and O-M-G. It's hilarious how invincible they make him. He takes on wave after wave of Cobra B.A.T.s, and all the while Dr. Mindbender (who has a serious man crush on the Sarge) oohs and aahs at his alpha male dominance.

I wonder how the recent announcement that Chu is taking on a Jem movie will affect the next Joe? Personally, I didn't care much for Retaliation (and I liked it even less when I re-watched it a few weeks ago), but I really appreciated Chu's sincerity when it came to trying to right some of the wrongs from the first film (at least "wrongs" as many long time fans saw it). I thought it made a few shuffle steps in the right direction. I'll be curious to see what he does with part 3.

22. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    He was voiced by the real guy!

Retaliation set some characters right, but still, change most of the cast is still a bit odd.

23. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Oh yeah! No one else could voice the Sarge except the Sarge.

Yeah, it was a sort of, but not really-really, soft ret-con. Necessary, but handled a bit awkwardly IMO.

24. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    They should have kept Destro and Scarlett at least.

25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope Channing Tatum comes back as a zombie samurai break-dancing robotic male stripping gigolo.