main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Hasbro Cinematic Universe (G.I. Joe, M.A.S.K., Micronauts, Visonaries & ROM) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by slimybug, Jul 9, 2009.

1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I'm still mad that Flint and Lady Jaye looked nothing like Flint and Lady Jaye from ARAH. I will never let the "movie costumes should look like cartoons/comics" thing go.

Though I like both movies and think they're quite faithful to the spirit of ARAH.

2. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I can sort of understand why they felt the need to sideline Destro in the second one. It was pretty jammed, and even Cobra Commander barely gets any meaningful screen time (taking a backseat to President Zartan). But it's handled poorly IMO. At least the door remains open for his return in the next one.

I wasn't crazy about that either, but at least they made an effort to do something with Lady Jaye. Flint is thinly drawn and given nothing at all to do except be annoying, which he excelled at. He was so bad in fact that I found my self missing Marlon Wayans' Ripcord.

3. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012

But at least use a logical plot, not abandon him aside. Scarlett should also come back.

4. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    I agree. Cobra Commander's "You're out of the band!" line was funny, but if the goal is to bring Destro back in the future (presumably looking for revenge), you need to set things up a little better than that.

And she might. I don't believe that it's explicitly stated that Scarlett is killed. Paramount was trying to walk a fine line between sequel and reboot, and I think they wanted to change up the roster as much as possible (something they likely would've done anyway to keep things fresh and sell more toys). But now, with a little distance between Rise of Cobra and the new film, I think they could bring her back, along with the Baroness. Though I seriously doubt Rachel Nichols and Sienna Miller would return in the respective roles.

If I were a betting man, I'd say Shipwreck is a good possibility for the next film (though I doubt he'll sound like Jack Nicholson :p).

5. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Baroness was totally ruined, how could they fix that? She was so amazing and badass but became a poor victim in the first movie, that's why it sucks.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Reboot Baroness then?

7. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Sienna Miller said she didn't want to play the role again, maybe. Tina Fey could do a good job.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Has Tina Fey ever once pulled off a dramatic, action-adventure role in history that would lead you to believe she'd be good for Baroness?

That's even more ludicrous than believing a rumpled, wisecracking TV detective could carry off being a believable action hero against German terrorists...

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  9. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    I don't know, Rachel Nichols was pretty bummed on twitter she wasn't asked to be in Retaliation. If they asked her to be in the third I'd assume she'd jump at the chance again provided there wasn't a scheduling conflict.

10. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Date Night is...kind of...an action movie?

11. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, Miller doesn't normally do films like these. It was out of character for her. Probably got a lot of grief from her art house friends about it.

Not sure about Tina Fey. I'd prefer Eva Green or Gal Gadot.

I was thinking more along the lines of the studio wanting to re-cast to help distance themselves from the original. I'd like to see Emma Stone cast.

12. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Probably, I just could not think of a good choice for Baroness, especially after the horrible characterization of RotC.

I went to watch 300 RotE because of Eva Green's villain but I think she did over the top.

No way, Rachel is the perfect Scarlett.

13. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Antje Traue could be considered, but I think she fit Zarana better than Baroness.

14. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005

Depends on of she's still doing the sci - fi series Continum when the new Joe film goes into production.

15. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    It's going to end this year or next year, I'm sure she will be fine. It would be a shame to miss her Scarlett.

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    You want a good Baroness? Olivia Wilde. Destro and the Baroness, practicin' the clarinet.;)

17. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Sienna Miller did ok, it's mostly the script's fault.

18. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    For some reason, I think Famke Jennsen would make a good Baroness.

19. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    She's too old now, like, 48?

Can't believe she's 8 years older than Cyclops and 3 years than Wolverine.

[​IMG]

20. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005

And yet Kate Beckinsale isn't too old to play Wonder Woman?

21. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    You see I didn't. Let's face it, those movies are over the top anyway, which gives actors a bit more leeway. They have to yell to be heard over the noise if you know what I mean. But I felt that she deftly walked that line and never veered into scene chewery. I enjoyed the movie a lot--far more than I expected to--and Eva Green's performance was one of the big reasons why.

To be honest, I thought Rachel's performance was too flat. Some of that could be chalked up to a bad script, but I just don't think she's a very good actress. Emma Stone has more moxie IMO, and that's what Scarlett needs.

As for Famke Janssen, I think she's a phenomenal choice. I like the idea of The Baroness being a grown woman. She should be more mature and sophisticated. Christopher Eccleston, who played Destro in the first film, is 50. And in Joe canon the Baroness and Destro are love interests. Janssen's a great choice that Hollywood doesn't have the courage to make because they're age-phobic; especially with actresses. Look, I'm not exactly Andrea Dworkin here, but one thing that really bothers me is when you have a movie where the lead actor is 40s-50s and his leading lady is 20s-30s. I get that in many cases the woman in a relationship is a few years younger, but not a few decades. It's ridiculous, and quite frankly a little embarrassing.

22. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    They picked Amy Adams as Lois, so no.

23. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Nah she's totally fine, I couldn't think of a better Scarlett.

Eccleston is not likely going to return and we don't need him to play Destro. They could totally pick a younger actor and give him the mask.
    Baroness is a master of disguise and deception, surely she would have many methods to make herself look younger.

24. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Well I hope that Tina Fey plays Wonder Woman now.

Juke Skywalker and Juliet316 like this.
  25. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I just think she looks quite evil with glasses on.