main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Hasbro Cinematic Universe (G.I. Joe, M.A.S.K., Micronauts, Visonaries & ROM) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by slimybug, Jul 9, 2009.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Snake Eyes solo film announced. No details yet on connection to the existing Joe films (although GIJ3 is still slated for 2020) or other Hasbro properties. Be great if Ray Park returns.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  2. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    It's time to merge GIJOEverse and TFverse.

3. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Snake Eyes is w/o a doubt the most popular G.I. Joe character (You can throw Storm Shadow in there as well, as he and Snake Eyes are sort of the Yin and Yang of that universe and you can't have one w/o the other), but to make a solo film, when you've had trouble keeping up w/your team efforts (Two films in nine years), which have been less than spectacular both artistically and @ the b/o... Toss in that the last time I checked, Snake Eyes doesn't, you know, talk and I don't quite see the wisdom in it. Not @ this stage anyway.

I know they're supposedly planning this Hasbro Cinematic Universe or whatever, but I'd say @ this point it'd be better to hard reboot your G.I. Joe franchise and use that as the launch point. To do a third one to try and keep continuity w/a series most people have likely forgotten the details of doesn't seem the best course of action @ this point IMO. Heck, even the second one is six years old now. Start fresh and get it right this time. Then if you wanna do a stand alone Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow/Arashikage film (Maybe even as a Snake Eyes origin story in the spirit of Larry Hama's seminal two-parter in issues #26 & #27 of the original Marvel run), by all means.

Again, not against the idea, but it seems the wrong time IMO.

I think that's the plan isn't it? @ some point aren't they going to dovetail G.I. Joe, Transformers, M.A.S.K. etc.?

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Transformers filmverse was said to being kept separate from the HCU initiative, mainly because the TF writers room experiment plotted out various TF films & spinoffs and the success of that spawned the HCU writers room focusing on the other properties.

Though, with TF5 sucking/underperforming at the box office and Bay supposedly moving on, there was rumor that they may reboot the TF movieverse after Bumblbee (or after the animated Cybertron prequel). So maybe then it could be dovetailed into the HCU properties.

5. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, after 5 movies (of diminishing quality IMO) over the last decade+, it's a franchise that's, uh, prime for a reboot. *crickets* Get it? Prime. *crickets*. Never mind :p.

I think the smart move is to reboot Joe and TF and start fresh. And an ultimate team-up has some potential and appeal.

6. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    IMO GI JOE is at its best when it's best when it's goofy. Sometimes that's hard to translate to live action. Just do a full blown high quality cgi animated trilogy.

No need for a Cobra origin story. Maybe introduce Serpentor in the second film.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    As a fan of GI Joe, I want to see a more serious take on the franchise but with fun and well developed characters, which I think Retaliation attempted to do with Dwayne Johnson and actual Cobra Commander. Additionally, I think the reboot should feature seasoned "Joes" as opposed to the "rookie" characters that Channing Tatum and Marlon Waynes played. And the film should definitely have a "Band of Brothers" team dynamic, rather than a lead character like, Dude or Road Block. And as such, I don't think GI Joe would be presented as super large army, but a small band of elite fighters like the Navy SEALs.

I would like to see the Transformers franchise get a fresh start, but it will depend on what Bumble Bee does at the box office.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  8. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Agreed on your points.

Plus I want to see my favorite Joe, Shipwreck.

9. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    [​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Does this mean we can have Power Rangers vs the Centurions? ;)

(i think they're at least partially owned by Hasbro...)

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I've been waiting for some GI Joe news for quite sometime and a couple of days ago this dropped:

‘Crazy Rich Asians’ Breakout Henry Golding in Talks to Play Snake Eyes in ‘GI Joe’ Movie Spinoff

[​IMG]

From what I gathered, this would be a prequel film before Snake Eyes went silent and wore the mask. From what I also understand is that Golding doesn't have any martial arts training, and so, if he doesn't want to end up like Finn Jones in Iron Fist, he better get up on it. That being said, I'm glad they cast Snake Eyes with an Asian actor because there are not that many leading roles available to Asian actors. I'm sure Storm Shadow will be in this film.

This spinoff reminds me of how Logan/Wolverine was spun off into his solo films. I hope they can raise the bar from that passed two films. I did like Retaliation, though.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's odd casting, especially not hiring someone who already knows martial arts- I wonder if they're reversing Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes? I suppose his race doesn't much to the story compared to Danny Rand's.

13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I think the casting of Golding is his box office appeal. They may be able to put a mask on Golding double for the action scenes, which means a lot of cuts and camera movement to sell it. But, he still has time to train for the role.

Personally, I think it's important for Storm Shadow to be portrayed by an Asian actor for a few reasons; the most obvious being the avoidance of "White washing" the character and two, the Arashikage clan, which is Storm Shadow's ninja clan that has existed for generations in Japan. Therefore, it would serve the character and story if the film could honor Storm Shadow's Japanese heritage.

I hope this film is as well done as X-Men: First Class in that Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow are portrayed like Charles and Eric; start off as the best of friends but ideology creates a schism.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Agreed- unlike Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow's story would generally require him to be Asian.

15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    It was just announce on the HasbroPulse Fan Fest YouTube channel that Snake Eye Origins movie will be released on July 23, 2021.

The action figures based on the movie revealed the cinematic looked of the core characters. Snake-Eye's katana has a name and how it got its name will be featured in the film.

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I saw that presentation for that Optimus Prime on the HasbroPulse Fan Fest earlier. That's thing it amazing! But, way too expensive for my budget.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The weirdly short trailer has been released:

Maybe there's a second half they'll release tomorrow? ;) Looks promising, though it'll take some getting used to Snake Eyes not being a blonde-haired white dude. The actor here looks like he'll be pretty good, though.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, that teaser trailer was cut very weird. The introductory of the teaser look like it was the usual 15 seconds clip that leads into the actual trailer.

Well, they didn't release a second half of the trailer, but they did release a behind the scenes/on the set of Snake Eyes and there are more glimpses of Storm Shadow in his white ninja gear. They also had the Marvel comic writer, Larry Hama, on set. I felt the footage in the behind the scenes video were more intriguing than the teaser.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    Juliet316 likes this.
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The full trailer has finally gone up:

Now that works sooo much better as a trailer than that weird teaser/partial-trailer clip from earlier. Actually makes me hype for the film.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, deviations from lore aside, this was actually a pretty decent "Yakuza/modern ninja"-type action film. It remains pretty well grounded throughout- a few more fantastical elements but gone is the goofy, campy, cartoony, dumb approach of the previous two live action films.

Cast is pretty solid all around, except for Scarlett who feels out of place and lacks the gravitas her more cameo-like role needed. Baroness is a little weird but she still works- and I think the actress could do some better work with different material to play off of, since she's only a supporting character in 3 scenes.

The sets and locations are pretty outstanding though- from the castles to a really awesome Tokyo alley/rooftop environment.

Film probably could have used another 5-10 minutes at the start (after the prologue) to better establish Snake-Eyes's situation on the dock and his relationships with the other characters, but I also understand why they kept that brief both for plot reveal purposes and pacing. Still, it gets him linked up with the Arashikage and betraying the Yakuza a little too quickly. Not in an awful way, but fleshing that out a little better would have helped smooth it over a bit.

Anyways, would definitely want to watch more GIJO & GIJ films in this style, though I'd want them to expand beyond the ninja storyline. Of course, the problem there is that there are only 2-4 characters who have an interesting enough of a backstory to hold down their own film (Basically the ninjas, Destro and Cobra Commander- and we're unlikely to ever see them do that used car salesman origin at this point since I'm sure Fox News primetime would make it their number one issue).

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So, I doubt a M.A.S.K. live action film is still happening at this point, having not heard anything in 2 years, but because it's still got one of the best theme songs of all time, here's a punk cover I've discovered recently.

Phenomenal...

The2ndQuest and Jedimarine like this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
  25. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    The problem with kids and action figures these days is that the companies don't commit to the lines.

They need to relaunch GI: Joe and tell people "We are bringing it all back!"

The Flagg
    The General
    The Terror Drome
    All the planes
    All the tanks
    Sgt. Slaughter
    More Dreadnoks then you can remember names too.

Just tell the public you are putting millions into this...I guarantee, the public would respond with millions more.

This dabbling in nostalgic merchandise does the next generation no good.

They need more then tablets and Nintendo Switch!

And if they tie that in with a new animated feature film...I think that would be a winner.