main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Hasbro Cinematic Universe (G.I. Joe, M.A.S.K., Micronauts, Visonaries & ROM) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by slimybug, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    Cobra Commander is an abomination, it's actually interesting how Destro got his silver mug, and I'm suprised that Zartan didn't have beetles shooting out of his mouth. "The Mummy plays Zartan???" [face_laugh]

2. DarthNotsonice

DarthNotsonice Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2005
    Down to 85% from 91% fresh in the span of 8 hours over on Rottentomatoes.com :oops:

3. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    [image=http://www.thegeekcouch.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/cobra-comm2.jpg]

That's Cobra Commander? Come on, it's not that far-fetched. I mean:

[image=http://www.yojoe.com/action/87/87card/cobracommander3.jpg]

4. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    DIC GIJoe doesn't count.

5. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Who cares about DIC?

I walked right into that, right?

6. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
  7. DarthNotsonice

Apr 6, 2005
    Down to 75% fresh on Rottentomatoes.com
    this revie by Paul Byrnes of smh.com is rather telling.

[face_worried]:oops:

8. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Cobra Commander reminds me of one of the retooled masks from the later Friday the 13th movies...

Would this:
    [image=http://www.z3btr0n.com/images/blogger/cobra_commander.jpg]
    really have been so hard to do?

9. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Bah, I always liked the battle armor look better [face_talk_hand] ...because I owned the figure, of course.

10. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    It seems like you actually had hope (not high hopes) for this movie, DarthNot.

11. DarthNotsonice

Apr 6, 2005
    Yeah sorta,once I learned the Marlon Wayans was onboard,that took alot of the wind out of the sails for me. [face_plain]

12. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    I thought that the makers were going to go with a more realistic approach to The Rise of Cobra movie. Sort of like what Nolan did with TDK. But I was in Toys R Us today and I read the back of the card of Destro's action figure. It stated that his face gets burnt in an accident and he injects himself with some sort of drug. The drug heals his burns, but turns his skin into metal. So it's less of a mask and more like Dr. Doom, I guess. I can see them doing this for a Spider-man movie, but they should have made this movie more realistic.

13. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Um Doom's face was a mask, both in the films and the regular Marvel Comics continuity.

14. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    I haven't seen that movie since it came out. I must have forgotten. I thought Doom's skin changed to metal. I was never really a big fan of the Fantastic Four though. But now that you reminded me, I think I do remember Doom putting the mask on. Thanks.

15. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    His skin was turning into some organic steel material, but his face was largely intact. However, in a nod to the comics a slight scar in his face was enough to ruin his beautiful vissage that he felt the need to cover it. So he utilized a mask-like award that was given to him by the people of Latveria. God the more I think about that movie the more I hate it. -.-

16. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    I saw the movie. Here's what happens:

The Doctor is about to inject nanomites (which is that green goo that destroys the Eiffel Tower and that Nightraven stealth fighter Marlon Wayans is flying in the movie trailer) into Channing Tatum's neck (he's stripped onto a chair inside the Doctor's laboratory) when Baroness comes to the rescue and stops the Doctor from doing the injection.

McCullen, aka Destro, is inside the room during this scene, and once he's free, Tatum does something (I don't remember what it is) that causes McCullen's face to get severely burnt.

At the end of the movie, while they're in a fake-looking CG sub escaping that fake-looking CG underwater base that's located in the North Pole, the Doctor injects the nanomites into McCullen's neck (against his will, I think), causing the small bugs to enshroud McCullen's face until it forms the metal mask that would turn the guy into Destro.

Oh, and it's the Doctor who gives McCullen the title of Destro. After this moment, the Doctor dons that gimp mask and becomes Cobra Commander.

17. gonzoforce

gonzoforce Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 27, 2002
    I'm just going in to expect mindless escapism and really that's probably what this movie is. I think it was a good move by Paramount not letting the critics see the film, they tore Transformers 2 apart and look how much that movie made. This is not a critics movie.

every now and then there should a movie that's just mindless escapism and a summer movie. And I admit it, I thought this movie looked like crap based on the previews, Paramount did a horrible job marketing the film, but I've become more interested in the movie, plus Rachel Nichols is in it. And every movie doesn't have to have the TDK approach, this is GI:joe for crying out loud.

and hey, you always have the animated movie from the 80's, I remember watching that one as a kid.

18. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    43% on rt now.

19. darthtenbiscuits

darthtenbiscuits Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 7, 2001
    I just got back from seeing it and it's not that bad. In fact, I was pleasantly suprised. If you're looking for something that's enjoyable on the same level as the Transformers movies, then you'll love this. If you're one of those people that goes on and on about how Michael Bay/George Lucas/Steven Spielburg raped your childhood then you should just stay home and talk to your handpuppet girlfriend.

20. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    Is Wayans tolerable?

21. darthtenbiscuits

darthtenbiscuits Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 7, 2001
    He's more tolerable than the lips on Snake Eyes' mask (or whatever that is). :p

22. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    He acts like his usual self. A goofball. Tolerable...but still lame in the way he portrays Ripcord.

23. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Fortunately this was one nerd franchise I never cared for so it couldn't possibly be ruined for me. And it would be nice to see something somewhat escapist today...though I can't imagine anything incentive beyond Eccleston. :p

24. gonzoforce

gonzoforce Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 27, 2002
    Rachel Nichols is worth seeing this film, she was good in Alias and played the green alien in Star Trek.

25. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    Fixed.