main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Hater Community

Discussion in 'Literature' started by barnsthefatjedi, Mar 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sithflame

Sithflame Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2001
    Where is everybody?

I'll tell you all something I hate. I hate the ridiculous idea that Mike Stackpole put forth in Ruin about Jedi Masters and use of The Force.

He took that scene in Empire Stikes Back where Yoda lifts up the Xwing with the Force and claimed that Yoda was TIRED after doing that! A TOTAL ALTERATION OF THAT SCENE!! Yoda WAS NOT TIRED after lifting the Xwing. He was DISAPPOINTED IN LUKE at that moment. THAT was the expression he had. DISAPPOINTMENT! Proof of that is what he said right after he did it:

YODA: "*That* is why you fail."

So MS takes that scene, changes its meaning, and then turns it into this idea that as you become a MASTER and start using the Force for GUIDANCE rather than for ACTION, that using the force for action (or "as a lever" as he explained) would be harder.

TOTAL CRAPTACULAR IDEA! The result was Luke looking ridiculously TIRED after fighting a few Vong and Froce-throwing some rocks.

Now THAT is something I HATE! [face_devil]

NOTE: Don't get me wrong. Aside from the above, I love Mike Stackpole's work.

2. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    I fully agree with that Sithflame. Yoda says "Size matters not" (A phrase quoated all too often in certain books) so why the hell would lifting an X-Wing be any more tireing(Sp?) than lifting a lightsaber. Yoda was one of the greatest Jedi of all time and to suggest that such a simple task (by a Jedi Master's standards) should make him tired is completely outrageous. I also like most of Stackpole's work, but that part of Ruin was simply ridiculous.

3. Sithflame

Mar 28, 2001
    EXACTLY!

Man O man do I hope some future author fixes that screw-up. I hope the prequels HEAVILY contradict THAT part of the EU, so that they HAVE TO fix it.

4. barnsthefatjedi

Feb 17, 2001
    Yeah, me too.

Top 3 most despised EU characters Sithflame? (remember to give reasons)

5. Sithflame

Mar 28, 2001
    1. Borsk - (Do I really need to explain?)

2. Hethrir - Didn't impress me at all as a vilian.

3. Jacen - Who I don't necessarily hate, but he bores the hell out of me.

6. barnsthefatjedi

Feb 17, 2001
    LOL!
    Yeah, I think Jacen is far too self indulgent. His little brother is much more interesting to read about. Jacen is old before his years and his fear about mis-using the Force isn't enthralling at all. I feel no sympathy for him with that regard, I just wish he'd stop whining and start hacking like a young reckless Jedi should.

I really hope that when the Solo kids get a bit older, one of them (probably Anakin) turns to the Dark Side. Not just for a book or two, I want him/her to go the whole nine yards with the Dark Side, remaining it's servant until their last breath. Now THAT would be interesting to read.

Emperor Barns

7. Sithflame

Mar 28, 2001
    I'd rather see Jacen turn. It would be rather ironic!

Having another Anakin turn would seem to cliche.

8. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Oooooh...an evil solo brat.

*shiver*

I like it.

9. barnsthefatjedi

Feb 17, 2001
    Yeah, maybe you're right about that Sithflame. Anyway, one of them should turn, whoever that may be.

Emperor Barns

10. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "He took that scene in Empire Stikes Back where Yoda lifts up the Xwing with the Force and claimed that Yoda was TIRED after doing that! A TOTAL ALTERATION OF THAT SCENE!! Yoda WAS NOT TIRED after lifting the Xwing. He was DISAPPOINTED IN LUKE at that moment. THAT was the expression he had. DISAPPOINTMENT! Proof of that is what he said right after he did it:"

actually according to interviews I read, it was zahn who originaly had the idea and used it a tiny bit in HOT. When MAS used it again he was just following after his friend. He even contacted zahn for the idea.

So if we are to dislike that story element take it back to the source of it originally.

11. ImperialGirl

ImperialGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2001
    Three most hated...oh, that's tough...

1. Daala--just all-round pathetic.

2. Bria--WHY?

3. Callista--and this one makes me the most angry, because if she'd died rather than body-snatched, I could have, if not liked her, at least accepted her.

(Why, yes, I'm a mysoginist--why do you ask? ;-)

12. sweetheart

sweetheart Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    Great! Another Bria hater. There aren't enough of them.

13. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    1) Waru - WTF!?

2) Daala - a dimwit Admiral that is a tactical genious/disaster

3) Garm Bel Iblis - Another genious that is a tid bit egocentric. For a politician, he fights VERY well.

14. eclipse

eclipse Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 1999
    No one else here thinks that Kyp is the lowest slime in the universe? I keep remembering that description of the deaths of those on Carida as experienced by Corran Horn while at Jedi Academy. All those innocent lives taken away. It made Horn lose his dinner. I don't care if Kyp believes he is saving the galaxy. He should have been executed for those deaths!!! (Or at least forever keep a low profile.)

15. Ben_Solo

Ben_Solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2001
    My top 3 hated characters are:
    1) Callista - need i say why.

2) Jacen - i would like to put him in a big barrel of acid, and have some midgets hit him with spoons, because he is a puny little ****

3) Jar Jar - wrap his tounge around a lightning rod and wait for a storm, watch him die!

16. barnsthefatjedi

Feb 17, 2001
    LOL!

Non-members take note: your top three most hated characters will not be included in the poll. If you wish to join the HC, please PM myself, Fire_Ice_Death or Ben_Solo.

Emperor Barns

17. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    I don't care if you don't include my answers in a poll, I can still make my statements and oppinions known regardless, if they show up or not in some worthless poll(worthless in that it won't affect LFL from using them).

In anycase I haven't mentioned my 3 most disliked characters, because it makes no difference, I just added to why someone elses hated character could be disliked so much.

18. barnsthefatjedi

Feb 17, 2001
    'In anycase I haven't mentioned my 3 most disliked characters, because it makes no difference'

Not that we would care if you did Valiento ;)

Once again, Non-members views shall not be taken into consideration. Of course this poll will not be used by LFL, but then again nothing on these boards will. Does that make them pointless Valiento? I don't like your cocky tone. Don't tick me off, pal.

Emperor Barns

19. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    1) Waru

2) Rillao

3) Cray Mingla (a cardboard character; at least with Callista in her there was a conflict)

20. Sithflame

Mar 28, 2001
    Valiento,

Do you come in here because you like the debate, or just to piss off Barns?

21. barnsthefatjedi

Feb 17, 2001
    OK. Here's how the survey looks so far. The top 3 most hated characters in the EU as voted for by HC members are:

1)Callista
    2)Mara Jade & Waru (tie)
    3)Jacen Solo

Keep those votes coming in. :)

Yanksfan, you are now promoted to Chief Diplomat. Congratulations. Welcome to the Command.

22. Sithflame

Mar 28, 2001
    OK, here's something else I hate:

I hate how the Jedi and the NEw Republic aren't doing jack on the offensive against the Vong.

Rather than post all of my complains AGAIN about how that specifically applies to the jedi, check this thread:

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=2305890&replies=21

23. Spiderdevil

Spiderdevil Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2000
    I make it a habit to block CS, PoT, and CotJ from my mind, as they are horrible novels. One thing always sticks in my mind from Crystal Star though, and I think it's one of the dumbest concepts to come out of a SW novel. Jacen and Jaina have been kidnapped and are being kept in pitch-black rooms. To get light they rub together molecules and the friction gives off light. Granted, this takes them a long time to accomplish, but THEY CONTROL MOLECULES! By this logic, every Jedi should be unstoppable.

24. barnsthefatjedi

Feb 17, 2001
    Sithflame, I agree. It's all part of Luke being a pacifist. His non agressive policy may save him from the Dark Side, but it wont stop the Vong. Perhaps that's one of the good points about Kyp. At least he's actually doing something to help rather than saying "No, we must not fight. We must stay here and meditate and lift rocks."

Spiderdevil, Clighal also does something similar when she cures Mon Mothma. I suppose it's OK though, I mean "size matters not" after all.

25. EVIL_INCARNATE

EVIL_INCARNATE Jedi Youngling

Mar 7, 2001
    Size matters not but it takes more control over something small. I'll change my sig when I'm done here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.