The Hater Community

Discussion in 'Literature' started by barnsthefatjedi, Mar 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fire_Ice_Death Chosen One

star 7
    Kansas is a she? Wow, you never told me, that! LoL
  2. Dev Sibwarra Jedi Master

star 4
    Gharlane- You can say that you hated a book or the author's writing style. That's considered criticism, and is perfectly acceptable. However, I believe that calling them a "two-bit hack" is considered a flame, and is not what the Jedi Council forums were created for.
  3. yodaboy Force Ghost

star 5
    i messed up, kansas is a he
  4. Fire_Ice_Death Chosen One

star 7
    Hmm....we built this community on plausible flames. Like calling a male a she, now *that* was an insult.
  5. yodaboy Force Ghost

star 5
    i though he was someone else. it was an accident
  6. Fire_Ice_Death Chosen One

star 7
    We have halted all hostilities, but that is not to say we're open to flaming, we're not. The EUDF needs to get their leader...
  7. Gharlane Force Ghost

star 2
    Dev- Those two are two-bit hacks. All KJA can think is super weapons. Heck he used the Death Star two times. Kathy Tyer's Truce at Bakura is a typical Star Trek story with the Star Wars logo.

Did I forget to mention how much the Tale of Jedi and Crimson Empire had and how it was all wasted. There were enought plot holes in the final for the Sith War for the Millenium Falcon to pass through.
  8. CloneofPhanan Jedi Master

star 4
    I've said it before but I really hate Kell Tainer, I think he's just sort of like a tall, non-Jedi Corran (who oddly enough I like), and he's the only bad part about the Wraith Squadron books.
  9. Jedi15 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Okay, I'm gonna list all the characters I absolutely, positively loathe in the EU (with the worst being #1, and the least offensive being the last one):

1. Akanah and Corran Horn (Tie)
    2. Admiral Daala
    3. Qwi Xux
    4. Borsk Fey'lya
    5. Threkin Horm
    6. Waru
    7. Hethrir
    8. Ta'a Chume
    9. Brakiss
    10. Dash Rendar
    11. Tamith Kai
    12. Thrackan Sal-Solo
    13. The Yuzzhan Vong
    14. Mara Jade (after Vision of the Future)

What can I say? These people suck. :)
  10. Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    This is interesting. Really funny to read.
  11. jadesaber2 Force Ghost

star 5
    I think calling KJA and Tyers "two-bit hacks" is going a bit overboard, Gharlane. Don't flame the authors. Criticise their books as much as you want. Just don't flame the people behind the books.
  12. Ganner Jedi Master

star 4
    Alright, I'm here.

I haven't bothered to read the whole thread. What are the points in question?
  13. Gharlane Force Ghost

star 2
    KJA, Tyers, Hambly and others are a bunch of two bit hacks. First every story they contrieve is either episodic or riddled with bad plot devices including the Sun Crusher and the Crystal Star.

I also like to complain about the New Jedi Order. Frankly it just isn't Star Wars. IMHO, Star Wars is about internal conflicts while this conflict is from the outside of the Galaxy. It is a good story, but it simply isn't Star Wars.

Del Rey should have rebooted the timeline. Keeping a few things the same such a Rogue Squadron and Mara Jade while taking out several things such as the stories not written by Zahn or Stackpole.
  14. Dev Sibwarra Jedi Master

star 4
    I disagree. The authors who wrote the books and the fans who paid for them did so under the impression that they would be maintained as part of accepted continuity. Erasing stories hurts both groups.
  15. Ganner Jedi Master

star 4
    Alright, so I looked around and have a better idea of what's going on here.

For the most part, this thread is not an EUDF matter. Anyone has the right to not like certain parts of the EU, and to express that opinion if they feel the need.

I would reccomend that you all stray from unintelligent insults against authors. Such statements are usually just inaccurate generalities. (That advice has nothing to do with the EUDF, that's just from me to you.)

So, Fire-Ice-Death, you will not see a war between this thread and the EUDF. (Which is a good thing for you. With 110 members, the EUDF is capable of opening a serious can of whuppass.)

Commodore
  16. Gharlane Force Ghost

star 2
    DC and Marvel comics have been doing this for twenty years or so and I see nothing wrong with it. Beside Zahn has already done some retconning by saying that the Emperor Reborn was just a mad clone.
  17. jadesaber2 Force Ghost

star 5
    You may not see anything wrong with it, but many other people will, I assure you. I would be one of them.
  18. Gharlane Force Ghost

star 2
    Too bad!! What did you like in the EU that wasn't Zahn, Stackpole or Allston?
  19. jadesaber2 Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm not saying I liked all the books. I'm just saying there would be a lot of people out there that would feel really miffed that they wasted so much time on all the books, only to find out that most of them are being thrown out the airlock.

Also, "Too bad!" is not a good way to start a reply, nor, IMO, is it a valid response.
  20. Yanksfan Chosen One

star 5
    *Yanksfan peeks in, rubs eyes and looks around in gaping awe*

Utopia, I have found thee.

A thread where hate is free to run rampant without fear of retribution?

Is this place for real?

You mean I can tear Mara Sue, er, Mara JADE a new one and scream to the heavens that I wish Bria would take a flying leap and, and,....it's okay? No one's going to start PMing me hatemail and petition for my immediate dismissal from the JC?

*WOW*! What a concept! I LOVE it.

Er, I mean I *HATE* it!!

*Turns to bansthefatjedi in breathless reverence* Is this heaven?

BARNSTHEFATJEDI: No, my friend. It's "The Hater Community"......
  21. Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Gharlane, You can criticize authors' works, but you can not directly bash them. Kathy Tyers happens to be a valued member of this bulletin board and as such is protected from being flamed just as much as you are. I expect you to post an apology for calling her a two bit hack and post an intellignet reason for why you didn't like her or KJA's novels. That means intelligent arguments, not bashing accusations.
    Thank you.

Oh, and Zahn didn't say the Insane Clone Emperor wasn't really Palpatine, Mara Jade did. You and some other people seem to have trouble seperating authors from their characters. The Emperor was insane because the clone body, the mind in the body, was chemically unbalanced because of sabotage by the doctor. Check out Crimson Empire #0 at the official site for proof.
  22. Valiento Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    That and it wasn't really insanity but major despiration attacks because he knew his time was coming to an end.
  23. Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus

star 5
    because his body wasn't right in the head. it was an imperfect vessel.
  24. Valiento Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Hell, if I knew i was dieing I would be majorly frightened and desperate to get a new body if I had a way to cheat death, but couldn't get to it.
  25. bigchicken Jedi Knight

Here's what bugs me about the EU.

Terms like "squint" or "Impstar deuce". In my oppinion those are terrible phrases and make me groan with revulsion.

The constant undermining of canon charachers. For every canon charachter there is an uber version somewhere in the EU. Need a Luke Skywalker....just bring in Mara Jade or Kyp Duron. Leia?...Winter. Han?...Dash Rendar. The death star?...sun crusher or world stomper or something like that. These 3 were the basis of what is quite posssibly the most popular movie series in history. Why not run with them....worked ok for Lucas. :)

Is it just me or is every second charachter in the EU "force sensitive?" The magic of the the OT and the force in particular was it's uniqueness. When every second charachter has force abilitites it takes away from the power the force had over it's audience.

What do you think?

bc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.