main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Haters' Community

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by barnsthefatjedi, Jan 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gharlane

Gharlane Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 30, 2000
    "If you repeat a lie long enough it will eventually become a truth"

Thats the way for the EU. If I deduce correctly in order for them to survive after the whole balance of the force thing then they have to do some major retcons. Namely they are probably going to say Anakin did balance the force since he saved Luke who brought down the Emperor. A lame excuse, but that probably is what the EU is going to use to survive.

Oh and doesn't the Emperor come back THREE times in the DE trilogy? Twice in DE and once in DEII.

2. Jedi_Xen

Jedi_Xen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    I'm one for scrapping the entire EU as we know it and starting again from scratch after Episode III. The current EU is a pathetic attempt to make money on the Star Wars name and characters.

3. Perator

Perator Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 3, 2000
    Jedi Xen

I wanted to start a fanfic project where a group of us will rewrite the EU, getting rid of almost everything. I just odn't have the time to do it right now, and with TFN's new Virtual Sequels it seems to be doing the same thing. Oh well.

Perator

4. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    Good idea, Perator. I too am sadly very busy at the moment, but this idea can be put on ice.

5. LianaMara

LianaMara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 30, 2000
    Yeah! New HC!
    I hated all the books by Hambly, and BFC, and the Corellian trilogy. They totally sucked, and BFC ended w/ "Luke, I know I told you that I knew where your mother was, but actually I have no clue who she is or where she is. Thanks for all the help, though."

Man, they could have done that a lot better. Luke could have gotten a hint that some relative of his mom of out there, and then after the prequels they could have dealt w/ that. Blah!

6. Jedi_Xen

Sep 26, 2001
    I started to rewrite the EU starting with the Rescue at Bakura. Instead of the decent one called the Truce. It happens around the same time frame though. Luke, Leia, and the rest are sent to rescue politcal prisoners of the Empire, including Senators and Rebel Leaders. The New Republic needed their help in setting up the new government.

Leia begins her Jedi Training and continues with her relationship with Han. She and Luke also meet their mother amongst the prisoners and a young force sensative student named Dev Sibwarra.

Leia is kind of bitter with Padme for not being there for her life. It turns out she was captured by Vader when the twins were 4, and he couldn't kill her so he sent her away, she is the only prisoner at Bakura that isn't scheduled to die. Obviously the Rebel's succeed in the rescue operations, and Luke and Leia have a mother to get to know (Though Luke is more upbeat about than Leia).

7. Gharlane

Dec 30, 2000
    Interesting enough I'm doing something like that. Basically I'm just editing the timetales 2001 annual to fit my version of the EU which only consists of Dark Empire, Zahn and the X-wing books.

8. menilma

menilma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2001
    it sounds like quite an interesting project to me too. it annoys me that leia never became a true Jedi but we don't know what'll happen to padme at the end of Ep.III, just keep that in mind. lucas might have special plans, and leia did say her mother died when she was very young.
    the EU is made for starwarsfans. if the fans who have an idea of what the basics in the GFFA are wrote the novels most other fans wouldn't be upset about anything. although I don't really know what interest the EU writers have in sw, perhaps they are fans as well? does someone know? ?[face_plain]

9. Jedi_Xen

Sep 26, 2001
    Menilma, agreed fans don't know what happens to Padme after Episode III, we wont know until after 2005 and then it will be EU that shows her death. I had Padme explain when Leia was 4 she was captured and her ship destroyed, Leia then feels it is when Bail Organa heard about Padme's ship being destroyed that he tells Leia her mother died, not knowing she wasnt aboard.

I too am annoyed Leia didn't become a Jedi Knight, instead she became an obsessive work-a-holic that has no time for her kids, training or husband. This doesn't sound like the Leia we all love and know and lust. Then Han Solo becomes Mr Mom with an attitude.

The EU writers claim to be Star Wars fans but I have my doubts, I think they're Star Trek people sent over to try and ruin Star Wars for having a better product.

10. barnsthefatjedi

Feb 17, 2001
    You raise some valid points. I won't disagree with you.

11. Spiderdevil

Spiderdevil Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2000
    Then Han Solo becomes Mr. Mom with an attitude.

True, it's not a good character change, but it makes for a great mental picture.

12. Shequan

Shequan Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2001
    Ha! I just wanted to see if there was an anti-EU thread and here I am. Cool!!

13. Jedi_Xen

Sep 26, 2001
    Shequan as long as they allow KJA to write novels there will be an anti-EU thread. He probably thinks his stories are clever and well thought out, when he started writing I started hating.

14. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    Well you have to hand it to the EU, the authors came up with some cool ships (mmmmm...K-wings) and did Wedge very good. That guy was in about 3 minutes total during the entire trilogy, and his popularity rivals Luke's and Han's.

I hate books that deal with romance as #1 and action as #2 in the plots. Ugh.

15. menilma

menilma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2001
    Star Wars is not a romantic story, it's an actionmovie. perhaps they just find it easier to write romance?
    That's very true Jedi_Xen. Leia is certainly devoted but I don't think lucas wanted her to be THAT devoted. The Alliance had Mon Mothma as a leader, they didn't need Leia that desperately. if she would have thought it through I think she would have realised that the New Republic would need Jedi Knights more.

16. barnsthefatjedi

Feb 17, 2001
    I hate 'Darth' Lumiya. I mean, who is this joke? As far as I'm concerned they should just slap a big fat infinities label on her ass (if they haven't already). I know she's featured in comics, but as we all know, the comics are a load of boll*cks. If she is really supposed to be a Dark Lord of the Sith, surely she should appear in the novels somewhere, even if it's just a reference. I mean Jesus Christ, it's as if the dosey bint doesn't exist!

I heard she has a 'lightwhip'. That's just absurd.

17. Spiderdevil

Spiderdevil Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2000
    Lively little bugger, aren't you Barns?

18. barnsthefatjedi

Feb 17, 2001
    Cocky little sod, aren't you, SD? ;)

(We're just kidding, BTW)

19. LianaMara

LianaMara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 30, 2000
    I read the comics w/ Lumiya in them. Barns, they WERE very stupid! And the lightwhip? Something that Marvel Comics made up to try to equal the lightsaber (which it definitely didn't). Those comics were awful, and the Shira Brie=Lumiya thing never made sense to me. I HATED it! (of course, Shira is a cool name, however idiotic and unrealistic the character may be).

20. Jedi_Xen

Sep 26, 2001
    They tried to make Shira/Lumiya out to be too much like Darth Vader. I especially hated when she failed in her mission and Vader was forgiving, not forgiving like he was with Captain Needa, he was forgiving like a father would forgive his daughter for coming home from a date late. Very un-Vader like.

I agree the Lightwhip sucked.

21. Gharlane

Dec 30, 2000
    Agreed KJA sucks. Some of you guys should actually read House Corrino, the book is so stupid that it's actually funny.

And about Lumiya I agree the execution of the character sucked, but doesn't anyone else think the character has potential?

Menilma- Have to agree. Leia's role as a jedi was one of those things that the EU totally messed up.

22. barnsthefatsith

barnsthefatsith Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2001
    Agreed.

Going off topic, I just saw The Last Crusade on TV. I forgot how good that movie was. :D

Are Indiana and Henry immortal now, or does that only apply in the temple where they found the grail? ?[face_plain]

23. Wildwookiee

Wildwookiee Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2001
    actually, I thought that George Lucas himself called Starwars a Space Opera...I believe that he did intend for romance to play a large role in it.

24. Jedi_Xen

Sep 26, 2001
    He intended romance to play a large roll not the main role. Seeing the forbidden love trailer for Episode 2 had me gagging and aroused (well Natalie had me aroused). I don't get into that mushy stuff all that much. Look at Braveheart, it started off a bit mushy, then William Wallace kicked butt in some of the greatest gore in movie history. You rooted for him becuase of his pain (when in truth Wallace was a barbarian, killing anybody who was English, men, women, monks, preists, nuns, and even children).

What do fans remember most about ESB, Leia and Han kissing on the Falcon or the revelation of Vader/Luke's relationship? The most famous line from that movie isn't "There aren't enough scoundrel's in your life." It is probably the most famous line in hollywood history "Luke I am your father."

25. Jedi_Xen

Sep 26, 2001
    Why am I the only one posting in here? Am I the only one who hates now? Come on people feel the hate!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.