main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The hatred I feel for the Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jainas_Lover, Jan 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Hey, thanks muchly, Kier. I kind of wanted to point people in the general direction of some of his other stuff, good writing that I thought should get a wider exposure. (And, I'd probably add Mr. Kube-McDowell's The Quiet Pools to his A-list, too. Got nominated for the Hugo Award, which is pretty validating in itself. :))

2. Niralle

Niralle Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 28, 2001
    Okay, these forums hate me! The only way I can check my replies right now is to go to the actual thread...I can't use my profile! This sucks! It won't show up for some reason. So, here it is AGAIN!

...Never read it, never will. I skimmed about two parts in it dealing with Luke. Oh, man...I could hardly recognize him. He's my favorite character, period. You mess him up, you mess up SW.

3. jedi-jeff

jedi-jeff Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 2, 2000
    This series was a disgrace to those fans of Luke Skywalker. I am generally flexible as far as the EU books, but the whole story about Luke searching for his mother was probably the worst of any in the EU.

4. SPECTOR

SPECTOR Jedi Master star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    I loved the series.

5. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I personally liked the Black Fleet Crisis and I have to agree that the military and poliotical scenes were the best part of the entire series. I also have to say that the Luke plot was very boring as well.

I do believe that Leia made the right decesion concerning Han and the Republic. His life was not worth the billions of lives and had it not been for Chewie and Lumpy and the rest, Leia very well could've signed Hans death warrent. Hard choice to make.

6. Gotterdammerung

Gotterdammerung Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    I'm going to have to go with the flow on this one. The Luke storyline was miserable, it definitely wasn't Luke. On the other hand, The Vagabond plotline was decent and the politics were they way politics should be. Great space battles and finally some Wookie dialogue. Interesting enemies for once too.

7. Darth Tuna

Darth Tuna Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 1999
    Mixed feelings about this one. The Yevetha were disgusting, but Wookiee bits were interesting. Lando plotline was excellent. Luke falling for this devious babe's story made him look like an idiot, but the trips to the various galactic locations were entertaining. A mixed bag. Certainly not as dreadful as Hambly or Crystal Star. Not as good as (shudder) Kevin Anderson.

8. AnddreWicha

AnddreWicha Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 1, 2001
    Okay funny I ran across this thread because I am (or was) about to start the trilogy but after reading some of the things posted here I have just one question.........

Is it better, worse, or about the same as The Crystal Star?

Answer me this people please.......

9. stecm

stecm Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2002
    I thought the Black Fleet Crisis was pretty good. it was such a refreshing change to have a different enemy. the only thing i didn't like was the luke storyline...

10. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    In my opinion BFC is one of the best, and it is better than Crystal Star.

However, I do think that it should be you and you only to make the decesion on wether or not you like the book and you should read it anyways in order to form that decesion.

11. Niralle

Niralle Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 28, 2001
    I have to agree with Errant on this. Just like almost all SW books, it depends on what you like that will either make or break the story. But, I DO know that if you're a Luke Skywalker fan, (such as I), then stay clear. I've skimmed through a few pages with Luke...not as bad as the Crystal Star version, (that's not saying much), but he's still pretty daft. It all depends on what you like. :)

12. Silent_Jedi

Silent_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 2, 2001
    I loved the BFC!! I agree with whoever said they had great space battles--fantastic. And finally a worthy enemy--ruthless, powerful, and determined. The Vagabond storyline--very interesting. The only glaring error--Luke storyline Gah!. Skip em. (Although he does get some "action"!)

As for comparing it to Crystal Star....I've read every novel (except some X-wing novels and the YJK series) from ROTJ thru the current NJO novel Rebel Stand and IMO Crystal Star is the absolute worst. Luke doesn't even get a POV for crying out loud! It truly stands alone.

But make your own opinion--read em all!

13. Corran_Katarn

Corran_Katarn Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2001
    I can't believe there are so many people out there who enjoyed this trilogy. I hated it and barely finished it. The only book worse than these three in my opion was Planet of Twilight.

14. SilverSeer

SilverSeer Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2002
    I thought the bits other than Luke and Lando were good. I kept waiting for the Quella space craft to have some tie in to defeating the Yevetha and it never happened. Drayson was good and IMO was a line that could have been developed more ie the New Republic developing a devious side just to survive. His appointment showed Mon Motha in a different light too.

15. LaraNotsil

LaraNotsil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2000
    I really liked the BFC, I found the whole Luke/Akana plotline terrible, but other than that I thought it was great, not quite on the level of Corellian crisis, but pretty up there.

16. AnddreWicha

Feb 1, 2001
    well I decided to start the BFC last night. I will let you guys know what I think in a couple weeks.

On a positive note:

It can't be worse than The Crystal Star.....

17. AnddreWicha

Feb 1, 2001
    ****ATTENTION*****ATTENTION******ATTENTION***

Thoughts, ideas, and opinions expressed during this post do not necessarily reflect the views of most people.

Okay I have gotten about half way through before the storm and I can't take anymore...... I just keep getting the feeling that the story is going nowhere and I am wasting my time reading instead of doing more interesting and productive things with that time like:

-watching grass grow
    -alphabetizing M & M's
    -recording shows on C-Span

sorry if you like this trilogy I do not mean to offend I just want to emphasize my displeasure of what I have read so far.

18. Jaina_S_Fel

Jaina_S_Fel Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2002
    I've read all of the post-OT novels with two exceptions, I couldn't bring myself to bear the pain experienced when attempting to read the BFC and stopped Halfway through Shield of lies and never even bothered with Tyrant's Test. I may someday attempt it again due to the fact that I'd like to have read everything which would mean I'd have to take the good with the bad, but I'm not sure I would survive the attempt.

19. Jaina_S_Fel

Jun 3, 2002
    I've read all of the post-OT novels with two exceptions, I couldn't bring myself to bear the pain experienced when attempting to read the BFC and stopped Halfway through Shield of lies and never even bothered with Tyrant's Test. I may someday attempt it again due to the fact that I'd like to have read everything which would mean I'd have to take the good with the bad, but I'm not sure I would survive the attempt.

20. Jaina_S_Fel

Jun 3, 2002

21. JonCrites

JonCrites Jedi Master star 1

Jun 18, 2001
    I remember when the BFC came out that I could hardly finish Shield of Lies. But here I am reading it again this summer (the BFC) just because I have not read it twice like I have everything else. And I am fingding that I like it a lot, and taht what I considered boring writing in the past, is great writing and imagery after two AP english classes

22. Nichos_Marr

Nichos_Marr Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001

I felt that way with Children of the Jedi and Spector of the Past but I brought myself to read them for the same reason that you might try to finish the BFC. I really do want to read everything no matter how bad it may seem.

Just for the record, I think BFC is the second (or possibly third) best book trilogy in Star Wars.

23. cavalier_one

cavalier_one Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2001
    Personally, I liked the BFC. Luke's storyline was a little hard to read, but I liked Lando with his interaction with the two droids, a pairing that is rarely shown.

And the entire Yevethan Crisis was excellent. Centring on new characters in a purely military setting, exploring the NR Fleet Command and political structure . . . good stuff in my opinion.

BFC is up there with the X-wing series for me.

24. RikAntinney

RikAntinney Jedi Master

Sep 28, 2001
    I enjoyed it a lot. I liked the fleet stuff, liked the vagabond, could take/leave the Luke part. I liked that the NR actually seemed to have a military developing. I liked how some of the senate was worrying about becoming TOO military.

I really liked the Falcon getting a few upgrades. The Falcon IS a classic, but it's great that the old girl got a few tuneups.

25. The_Standmaiden

The_Standmaiden Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 28, 2002
    I totally disliked the BFC trilogy. The political storyline was boring and the badguys just didn't interest me. I found the "runaway spaceship" (Vagabond?) storyline was the only one that was remotely interesting, and at the end it was pointless, as they threw the ship away.
    The hermit storyline was not well developed and made no sense.
    My sister and I called these "The Boring Books". :(

P.S. What was with that Luke/Akanah thing? I would think that he knew better than that!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.