THE HATRED of droids?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by THE_MISSING_TRIPLET, Mar 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THE_MISSING_TRIPLET Jedi Master

star 4
    after watching ANH and AOTC I notice that droids are rather disliked. "Hey you no droids!" and "We don't serve their kind in here!" This has happened twice bothh in a restaraunt type of setting.I don't get it y are they hating droids.. I'm not starting a Be nincer ot the droids movement i'm just curious y they are so disliked?
  2. JediHunterCommand Jedi Master

star 1
    It's probably no different from why humans hate other humans . . . most of the time it's just because they are different. Furthermore there's lots of evidence that droids are seen as "inferior," which would tie into that.
  3. Daughter_of_Yubyub Force Ghost

star 6
    Droids don't customarily buy things (especially drinks :p), so they aren't valued customers.
  4. Ret Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Weren't Wuher's parents killed by droids or something?
  5. SaberGiiett7 Force Ghost

star 6
    "Droids don't customarily buy things (especially drinks 8-}), so they aren't valued customers."

I think Yubyub hit the nail on the head. :DThey obstruct paying customers from bringing in the credits by being nuiscenses'.

But still its kinda peculiar knowing that the unallowment was a little eccentric just for that. :confused:

Good question. :D

<[-]> Saber
  6. stainlesssteelrat Jedi Knight

I think the Clone Wars could be a realy good reason why there seems to be such a disdain for droids I imagine the war is going to take a toll on the citizens of the galaxy.Not to mention droids arent paying customers.
  7. THE_MISSING_TRIPLET Jedi Master

star 4
    ya i agree with the paying customer idea. As for the clone wars effecting this it could but not much because in AOTC we see that droids are disliked.. even by other droids!
  8. Mateo Jedi Master

star 4
    The paying customer idea seems good but theres probably even more to it than that, like the fact that Battle Droids are well known and despised,that droids are lifeless and soul less imitations of life, the fact that droids cannot think and must be given direction or programmed to do specific tasks only, if you want to see hatred of Droids look at the Yuuzhan Vong's beliefs about them and Technology and how they view it as a mockery of life and as lifeless abominations.

Droids arent entirely hated either,they can be used as Slaves,bodyguards,servants,pilots,waiters and pretty much whatever you want,the only complaint i have is how much respect they are given especially since they are only machines and once they are destroyed they completely cease to exist.
  9. Valiowk Force Ghost

star 6
    I guess the main reason is that droids are, after all, machines. Species born by nature would naturally tend to view themselves as superior, as droids were created by them. Why would any species want to treat droids as equals if droids are constructed and are liable to being controlled/taken apart?

I suppose the point about not being a paying customer also counts. Droids take up space, and they obstruct potential customers. :p
  10. KenKenobi Force Ghost

star 6
    Well, a droid is any of the various automatons in use for a number of tasks throughout the galaxy. Officially defined by Cybot Galactica as "any mechanical and/or electronic construct designed and put into service to assist organic life." That term in itself shows how droids were basically built to be inferior.

It is generally held that droids "evolved" from the ancient robotic technologies of the galaxy, as soon as the first forms of artificial intelligence were programmed. There are 5 basic droid classifications:

First-Degree: programmed for physical, mathematical, and medical sciences (2-1B and IT-0 droids)
    Second-Degree: programmed for engineering and technical sciences (Treadwell or R-series droids)
    Third-Degree: programmed for social, diplomatic, or tutoring interaction (3PO-series protocol droid)
    Fourth-Degree: programmed for security and military applications (Viper probe droid, Trade Federation Battle Droid)
    Fifth-Degree: programmed to handle menial and non-intelligent tasks such as salvage, mining, sanitation (ASP-series droid)

Many droids were happy serving their owners, but some were badly mistreated or abused, and developed abherent personalities. These droids sometimes revolted against their owners, and several infamous droid uprisings during the latter stages of the Old Republic led to a general anti-droid sentiment among the organic inhabitants of the galaxy. During the Old Republic, an owner was responsible for the actions of their droids, even if the droid acted of its own volition. The New Order later established the "Droid Statutes," in an effort to further curb the criminal usage of droids.

:)

Ken Kenobi- And you have a nice day ;)
  11. Darth-Dispicable Jedi Master

star 4
    C3PO-have him around for a few days.

Now you understand.
  12. Solo_Skywalker Jedi Knight

star 1
    C3P0 MUST DIE!!!
    Sorry but that droid just gets on my nerves, anyone else agree? :D
  13. ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Of course restaraunts wouldn't like them, they don't eat anything and just take up space

In the EU, the only way 4-LOM was allowed to sit at the Cantina bar was if they served him a drink and every once in a while they replaced it with a new one even though he hadn't drinken any of course, and charged him for all of them
  14. lil_jedi_blondie Jedi Master

star 1
    I am sure anyone who ran into 3PO for about 2 seconds would turn you against all droids.

I bet you anything the guy in AoTC had been to Tatooine and met 3PO

I personally believe that Chewie should of let the little alien things put him in the furnace in ESB.
  15. Emi-Yan_Tetu Jedi Knight

star 2
    I like the idea that people don't like droids because of the villainising of the Seperatists droid armies by the Empire.

But maybe not. What'cha think?
  16. THE_MISSING_TRIPLET Jedi Master

star 4
    well maybe not the empire, in aotc we see that droids are not liked, the paying customer idea does sound ok.. but r2 was only getting food to bring back to ani and padme. whats the deal?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.