The Headhunters Thread: Coaching Searches

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Rohniss, Dec 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rohniss Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Kinda a twin to the Pink Slip thread, this is the thread to discuss the coaching searches ongoing in Sports. My originating post is going to deal with Alabama's NCAAF search, but feel free to bring in the upcoming NFL vacancies and any upcoming other sporting vacancies that you want filled.

In response to Heels: (ref the Alabama Fiasco)

You are quite correct that the Alabama fanbase is very split ATM, you see some of us seem to think that the Bear is going to descend form Heaven and have us win another 12 or so National Championships (BoT and Mal Moore included). I myself am a realist, I want a good coach who can win 9-10 games a season make a run at the West every year and play Georgia, Tennessee, or Florida at the championship every couple years win it sometimes. Most of all I want a guy thats going to come and STAY, not be ran out of town (like Stallings) or jump ship (Fran), or be canned (everyone else)

In short:

Alabama Candidates I think are hireable:
    My two favorites are:

Paul Johnson: the man is doing very well at Navy, and has won some DIVII championships with a once bottom feeding Ga. Southern team. Also he beat Ohio States coach on a regular basis as Ga. Southerns coach when Tressel coached Youngstown.

Jimbo Fisher: the man can recruit, he deserves a shot at the big time, and from what I hear isnt very happy with Les Miles at LSU, he knows the SEC. Was very disappointed UAB didn't hire him as HC.

Ok, closing, Saban isnt coming. He may be fired from the Dolphins (new management and bad record) the man is a control freak and the Alabama BoT and Mal doesnt want to give up power. Also Saban is basically the personification of "Have Gun will Travel" he's a mercenary and will win a lot of games IF he came, but he will serve us Francakes (their really good but gone fast) in the end.

Also, most coaches in the NFL (which Alabama seems to be waiting on) wont be loyal to the program and will win a lot, but head back to the NFL after a couple of seasons, leaving us with another coaching search.
  2. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Ok, closing, Saban isnt coming. He may be fired from the Dolphins (new management and bad record) the man is a control freak and the Alabama BoT and Mal doesnt want to give up power. Also Saban is basically the personification of "Have Gun will Travel" he's a mercenary and will win a lot of games IF he came, but he will serve us Francakes (their really good but gone fast) in the end.

Hmmm? Opinion changed any on that?

Sorry, was looking for something else and saw this and had to point it out :p
  3. Rohniss Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Seriously, Didnt think he was coming, still think he'll stay 5 years tops, and serve us Francakes..

Still better than past uhh 5 coaches..

Better Recruiting, hired a good staff thus far, once again not hard to do..

Still wished we woulda hired someone else who would stay longer..

Still excited that we have him for the moment..

Still think he'll win a bunch of games..

Opinion hasnt changed much.. It may in 5 years.. if he's still here.

Only thing I was wrong about (thankfully) is that Mal and the BoT finally decided that it was their fault (meddling) the program went to crap and gave it to an iron-fisted dictator (Saban).

Also surprised that they put up the kind of coin (hopefully) to have him stay for more than 3 years..
  4. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Fair enough.

I think its only a matter of time until the NFL offers enough to lure him back there again.
  5. Rohniss Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Ehh, I dont think the NFL will get him.. According to him he doesnt like the NFL (and wasnt successful at it, left on bad terms) I dont think theres gonna be another NFL opportunity.. now, I'm thinking after we make a run at the NC one year.. if Carroll, Stoops, or Wiess gets hired by a NFL team.. those programs can come up with more coin that Alabama can, and so long Saban.
  6. EMPEROR_WINDU Jedi Master

star 5

Why? Saban and even Pete Carrol weren't any good as pro coaches so why would they be tempted to go back once they realize how much success and money they can have in CFB?

The only big name coach that could possibly go pro because of past success is Charlie Weis, and we all know he's not going anywhere.

Which brings me to a new topic about coaching changes if anyone cares (I know I do): Charlie Weis has a press conference scheduled for Thursday with something to announce. He's not leaving Notre Dame, but the national fanbase has been irate over the performance of the Irish defense this year. Weis has reportedly approached Ken Norton Jr. from USC about joining the ND staff (he's a current LB coach). Most fans don't believe the defensive coordinator is going to be around next year and other candidates who would probably be in line to replace him are Jon Tenuta among others... So we'll see.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.