the heartbreakers: the losses that devastated you most

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by KnightWriter, Nov 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    nearly ten years later, the most devastating loss i've experienced as a fan remains the 1997 Rose Bowl between Arizona State and Ohio State. both teams were highly talented, and a boatload of players from both sides went on to play in the NFL (one of them being Pat Tillman).

ASU had had a magnificent season, and win would mean a perfect 12-0 record, and though we didn't know it at the time, a national championship as well. ASU scored with just 1:40 left to go in the game, which made it 17-14. Unfortunately, on the play of a quarterback from my high school's biggest local rival, and with an assist from the worst prevent defense in all of history, the buckeyes came back and won 20-17. If Plummer had had even 15-20 more seconds and a timeout, i think he could have gotten in range for a tying field goal (Robert Nycz was golden that year). the season ended with lenzie jackson having caught a ball in the middle of the field, unable to stop the clock.

that loss ruined a perfect season and cost the sun devils what would have been their first national title. that the dagger from the hands of a Mesa Mountain View High School product was even more galling.

as a phoenix area resident, i've experienced a lot of hearbreakers over the years, but that one is still the worst.

how about yours?
  2. George_Roper Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Every time England goes out on penalties. :(
  3. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    last year during march madness.

U of A up on the Illini 75-60 with 4:04 to play. The Illini go on a 20-5 run in those last 4 minutes to send it to overtime where they eventually win it 90-89...

If Arizona won that game they had a great chance to take it all home. :(
  4. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    Oh dear...don't get me started on THREE games this year where A&M has lost in Football in the last minute of the game. Mostly coaches error, but this entire season has been one big heartbreak after another. No wonder our president has chosen to go be SoD instead.:(
  5. NorCalBirdz Jedi Master

star 4
    Don't lie.

[image=http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PHO/837276~Freddie-Mitchell-2003-Divisional-Playoffs-4th-and-26-Reception-Photofile-Posters.jpg]

:D

For me, it's easily the 2002 NFC Championship Game against Tampa Bay. It honestly affected my general mood for weeks if not months afterward. We owned them for years, we had lost the NFC Championship the year before, it was the last game at the Vet, Warren Sapp had been making me sick to my stomach all year long, the game literally couldn't have started off any more perfectly. I'll never forget the three plays. Brian Mitchell return to the 25, pass to Duce over the middle for five years, Duce up the middle for 20 yards and the TD.

59 minutes later, the dream was over.
  6. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    4th and 26 would be second on my list of worst heartbreaks.

3rd on my list would be the 98 wild card game. Jerry Rice fumbled but they didn't call it and Steve Young ended up throwing the game winning touchdown to TO.

blah.
  7. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    Earlier this year, when we had Florida on the ropes on Rocky Top, and they came back to beat us 21-20. That was hard.

Worst probably was Game 7 of the 2004 ALCS, when it became evident that the Sox were going to the WS, and we had successfully performed the improbable choke.
  8. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    The 2004 Finals and the Lakers exit from the playoffs this spring come to mind. The '03-'04 Lakers had a starting lineup that included Gary Payton, Shaq, Kobe Bryant & Karl Malone. Although they had their downs in the regular season, they ended finishing 2nd in the West and they also won the Pacific Division. This was the year that they were expected to win it all again, as there run for 4 straight titles ended in the 2003 playoffs. After getting through the 1st three rounds (Derek Fisher's .4 second buzzer beater happend in the 2nd round against San Antonio), they make the Finals, going against Detroit. The series was tied 1-1 when it went to Michigan, and the rest, sadly, is history. The Lakers lose the next three, which leads to the breakup of the team. Payton leaves, Malone retires and Shaq is traded to Miami. Phil Jackson leaves as well, although it doesn't mean as much now, as he came back last season. This Finals loss was the last straw for Shaq, who always had his problems with Kobe. Left by himself to lead a new team, the Lakers embarssed themselves in '04-'05, by finishing with less than 35 wins and missing the playoffs for the first time in a decade. This leads to last season, in which Kobe & Phil got the Lakers back to respectability, by winning 44 games and making the playoffs. Getting the Suns in the 1st round made them the underdogs, but after 4 games of complete team play, they took a 3-1 series lead against Phoenix. They lose game 5 to the Suns (in Phoenix), and then come back to Staples. Having a 3 point lead in the 4th, with less than 15 seconds to go, the Lakers failed to foul inside the 3-point line/didn't guard it, as a Tim Thomas 3 tied the game, which ended up going to overtime, in which the Lakers didn't prevail. Game 7 wasn't even close, as the Lakers got bombed out by 30, and where Kobe only took 3 shots in the 2nd half. It was a series that they should have won.
  9. khabarakh23 Jedi Master

star 4
    Any time Hyde United lose to Stalybridge. And when Hyde lost to Hucknall several years ago, it effectively doomed us to relegation
  10. Master_Kast7 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Tie between the 2004 ALCS and 2003 WS.
  11. DarthDogbert Force Ghost

star 2
    From the NFL HOF website:
    Buffalo Bills? kicker Steve Christie booted a 32-yard field goal through the uprights in overtime on January 3, 1993 to cap the National Football League?s greatest comeback.

It's one of those "I remember where I was" moments for me. I was mowing the grass listening to the game on the radio. Still can't believe the Oilers lost. :mad:
  12. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    Also up there is the (NFL) Cardinal's loss to the Bears this season.
  13. NorCalBirdz Jedi Master

star 4
    The Cardinals have fans :confused:
  14. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    The 'Skins loss to Philadelphia last week.
  15. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    The last 4 games of the NBA finals, last season. :mad:
  16. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    Being from Cleveland, I have plenty to chose from.

The one that sticks out and I think I will ever be bitter about is Game 7 of the 1997 World Series.

Joe Table is paid pretty decent money to get three outs in a game. You'd think he could manage that. But no.
  17. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    some of these losses strike me as rather pedestrian, to put it mildly.

i'm looking for stomach-punching losses, like the kind norcal posted about.

and frankly, i don't see how you can have a game like that as a yankees fan, given that you know your team will be right back in the mix the following season.
  18. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    Trust me, I was heartbroken for weeks when the Mavs, who were 2-0 in the series, dropped 4 in a row to lose their first Finals appearance.
  19. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    oh, i know you were. yours definitely qualifies. i'm talking more about the redskins loss last week. it's a regular season game, and hardly means much in the grand scheme of the sport.
  20. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    and how do you feel about the U of A loss to the Illini last year?
  21. Kyptastic VIP

star 5
    Australia Soccer's losses in World Cup qualifiers in 1997 and 2001

Essendon's one point losses in the Qualifying finals of 1996 and 1999, as well as our grand Final loss in 2001

Australia's loss at Edgbaston in the 2005 Ashes by 2 runs, the second closest margin in history. I watched every ball of that test and I was devastated.
  22. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    and how do you feel about the U of A loss to the Illini last year?

uh, nothing? i despise all things tucson, save the democrats who populate much of that region.
  23. Lank_Pavail Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Gut wrenching? I'll go with the Eagle's loss to Tampa as well. It hurt that the last game in the Vet was a loss, and it was the second time the Eagles had folded in the NFC title game. The second punch, far weaker, but hitting that same sore spot, was them losing their first game in the Linc the following season.
  24. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    bah.

:(
  25. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    Doesn't qualify? Doesn't Qualify?! It pretty much wiped out any hopes we had for a post - season.:(
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.