main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Hell Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by The1, Jul 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I'd like to, but its been awhile since I last read up on Near-Death Experiences.

I've read a bit of Dr. Moody's work, a book called "Return from Tomorrow" (basically the original NDE book), and a couple other thoughtful books on the subject. One was done by an investigative journalist and the other by a couple of doctors. I have the books at home (where, of course, I am away from until tonight). I believe Dr. Moody started out as a strong skeptic and over time began to change his views on NDEs, using research and investigation into the subject.

I'll try to explain it better soon. I apologize for not being able to.

2. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2001
    Often, people of various religions (Western and Eastern) have had experienced similar to those mentioned above.

Completely agree with you. The only difference being is that they see the diety they believe in as opposed to Jesus. A Muslim dies, he claims to see Allah. A Pagan dies he claims to see Hades.

3. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I've read that they often see Jesus, not their own deity, although it has been some time since I read that. I have no proof/evidence to give, so I'd have to go searching again.

4. sleazo

sleazo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2001
    Ive actually heard the smae thing madmadigan has. The only time i have heard that they have seen jesus is from chirstians

5. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    MadMardigan, I'd really like to see where you are getting these facts if you could post a story of website for reference.

6. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I shall investigate more into it :).

7. MadMardigan

Nov 8, 2001
    I've read that they often see Jesus, not their own deity, although it has been some time since I read that. I have no proof/evidence to give, so I'd have to go searching again.

Where? A Christian newsletter? A pastor? A Christian magazine? Basically was the source you read that in a fair and unbiased source?

8. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I'm aware of objectivity, and I hinted at the importance of it in an earlier post.

It really has been a long time, so I probably shouldn't even have said that (as opposed to my thoughts on NDEs themselves, which are much more recent).

9. sleazo

Aug 13, 2001
    and lets not forget all of the people who "see" ufos or the loch ness monster. Just becuase people see something does not make it true. There are lots of whack jobs on this planet.

10. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Of course.

That's why investigation, research and critical thinking are important.

11. MadMardigan

Nov 8, 2001
    MadMardigan, I'd really like to see where you are getting these facts if you could post a story of website for reference.

Common sense. Why would a Muslim call out to Jesus? Why would a person who's never even heard of Jesus call out a name they've never heard?

If you are a Christian would you call out to Zeuss if you were having a near death experience?

12. AJA

AJA Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1998
    I just related one story I saw. There's no need to jump out of your skin over it.

13. sleazo

Aug 13, 2001
    Well that is the problem with the internet you cant convey tone of voice.

14. MadMardigan

Nov 8, 2001
    Now stay calm sleazo. :D

15. Obi Wan Bergkamp

Obi Wan Bergkamp Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 1998
    I remember seeing a program on the Discovery Channel a few months ago looking into the phenomenon of alien abduction.

One of the possibilities discussed in the program was that a lot of people who belive they have experienced alien abduction have had a long period of sleep deprevation and are suffering a lack of oxygen to the brain - their brain starts to record false images of being lifted above oneself, of lights and beings, usually the grey aliens associated with abduction. It was also postulated that during near death experiences the similar lack of oxygen can result in the various religious figures being seen.

I have had an oxygen starved moment. 72 hours without sleep and I was in a car heading homewards towards my bed I was going down a stretch of the A13 that I know very well and saw many, many more bridges over the road than there actually are, and people walking over the road in front of the car. My friend was driving (he had got to sleep the previous night) and the following day commented on how i was reacting to things that were not there, shouting that we had just run people over etc.

I just wanted to share that with you all.

16. DarthYama

DarthYama Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2001
    Hell is solitude, being oppressed by one's 'own people', and the loss of someone close. I have been through Hell.

17. Chris2

Chris2 Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 11, 1998
    Actually, Muslims do believe in Jesus. Just not the same Jesus that Christians do.

18. Chris2

Chris2 Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 11, 1998
    Actually, gwaernardel, "Enoch" which I qouted, is an exception. The book was found with the Dead Sea Scrolls and therefore part of the canon of that era(1st century A.D) also Jude, in his small epistle, mentions the book of Enoch. So Enoch was considered canon by 1st century Jews and Christians.

19. MUNKY

MUNKY Jedi Youngling

Jul 20, 2002
    MUNKY thinks that hell is a nasty way of scaaring people into believing. [face_plain]

20. stevo

stevo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    I don't believe in hell but if it does exist, hell is a place so horrid that I cannot describe it for we have never felt such pain or torture.

21. Riku

Riku Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2002
    One word: Sandman! :D

22. The1

The1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 21, 2001
    I grew up with 2 religions, Roman Catholic and Judaism. The catholic's as I understand it (and thats not very well) believe in the whole fire and brimstone idea where sinners live eternally to be punished for there sins. Jews believe that Hell is a place were everyone goes for a short period of time to be cleansed and then sent to heaven. But the Jew interpretation of Heaven and Hell is cloudy. There are exceptions for some people such as Hitler, he is in Hell forever. I also heard of another interpretation where Hell is a long road that never ends that you walk forever.

Let's try to stay on topic here folks, no talk of Alien Abductions.

23. gwaernardel

gwaernardel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Ah, thanks for clearing that up, Chris2 :)
    As far as I know, Jews don't really believe in a heaven or hell. They believe that their afterlife is based on their actions in life. They think that God punishes those who do wicked things in this life. They also believe that in the afterlife those who are evil will not reach the same degree of happiness as those who are righteous and good in life. So the idea of a Hell is kind of unnecessary to them.

24. westford

westford Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    I don't believe in Hell. Isn't there enough suffering in this world anyway?

25. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    We are living in hell, right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.