main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The 'Higher Ground' ending of ROTS duel: Good for TPM's duel ending or bad?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Sitara, Jul 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001

I understand that Obi-Wan spoke both tactically and morally, (i.e. I am morally higher than you anakin, therefore you have already lost, etc etc.)

However, tactically speaking, what did that statement, and its result do for the end of tpm's duel? Good for it or bad? IMO after rots I personally think TPM's ending needs an edit BAD; Obi-wan's leap needs to be sped be uberly, and perhaps his saber strike needs to be artificially sped up (so it looks like he is using his last strength to draw heavily on the force and speed up his actions) otherwise Maul looks like a moron. :(

Obi-wan had enough time to dodge anakins saber strike (after anakin jumps), and then chop off THREE limbs; while Maul onle had to do one of these to survive. I say there is still time for edit before the 6 saga series set is released.

2. TKLasagna

TKLasagna Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 3, 2004
    The sequence of events should have been:

A. Obi-Wan jumps.

B. Saber is in hand.

C. Maul is cut in half in the middle of Obi-Wan's flip.

3. Sanjiro

Sanjiro Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 26, 2001
    Maul wasn't thinking "Ha! I have the higher ground!" Maul was thinking "Ha! This fool is going to fall down that big hole!" that's the biggest difference. Maul also wasn't thinking "Better block this lightsaber blow." Maul was thinking "I kicked his lightsaber down that pit." In short: Maul is stupid.

4. Sabertrader

Sabertrader Jedi Master star 1

Jul 28, 2002
    Yes, that's how it should have been. Would have qualified as the coolest kill move in Star Wars movie history and been a TOTALLY satisfying end to a spectacular duel.

5. SteveZ

SteveZ Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2005
    And I'm sure Kenobi could of just as easily of killed Anakin, but was being held back by his attachment for him. By warning him that he had the higher ground, he was saying "I'm most likely going to kill you if you try it, and I really don't want too."

Maul, like Anakin was cockheaded at the end and figured he had Kenobi where he wanted him (just like Anakin's "You underestimate my power!" line before he jumps). Like mentioned above, Maul figured "I got this idiot in the hole, he's just a padawan and he's got no lightsaber -- what's he gonna do?"

Never underestimate your opponent would be the lesson here.

6. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    The whole point with the end of TPM's duel is Maul's lack of concentration and extreme overconfidence.

In RotS, Obi-Wan is confident - but not overly so, and he is prepared for Anakin to jump; Maul is not. Thus, I don't think the RotS duel affects how I see TPM's duel in the slightest.

7. wcleere

wcleere Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2002
    When Obi-Wan says "Don't try it" he of all people should know, being that, for all we know, he came up with that move against Maul, and knows precisley how to counter it.

*good* for TPM's ending. Good for ROTS's ending, and good for me!

8. Sitara

Oct 8, 2001

Yes, it is supposed to show Mual's overconfindence (rightly placed IMO since he just basically dominated and crushed one jedi master and his apprentice at the same time) but what I am saying is that after watching ROTS's end duel, I think TPM duels ending needs to be sped up. ZTo be more specific, obi-wan's leap needs to be sped up since Maul had much more of a reaction time than obi-wan did when he faced anakins leap.

YES, obi-wan was prepared, and facing an armed opponent; but even then IMO the inconsisitency, which has palgued many sine tpm, has become even more glaring now after rots's duel.

It just stings that the best and most intense duel in the entire saga is being slighted by a sloppy ending.

9. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I do have to admit that the idea of having Obi-Wan slice through Maul on the way down while he is still in the air is a kick ass one. I think it would make Maul's death much more believable.

10. Sabertrader

Jul 28, 2002
    Yup, yup, Strilo. Or as was suggested, a horizontal slice (like he ultimately got) whilst Obi was in mid-flip.

But getting him AS he's landing would be cool, too! Kind of a diagonal slash down his front that doesn't necessarily result in a de-cap (but FATAL!)?

Anakin's leap, although telegraphed to the max, was REALLY quick and impressive. I liked in the videogame for ROTS the alternate ending you can unlock that shows what might have happened had Anakin succeeded with that leap!

11. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Or as was suggested, a horizontal slice (like he ultimately got) whilst Obi was in mid-flip

That's what I was talking about.

12. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    maybe maul didn't realize he had the high ground advantage.

13. Sabertrader

Jul 28, 2002
    Maul was an overconfident fool.

All that was needed to finish off Obi was a force push or lightning zap and that would have been the end of it. Instead, he chose to be like a cat and toy with his prey (man, does this seem like a common thing with overconfident villians)...taunting him with his saber and staring down, just waiting for him to give up and drop, beg for mercy, whatever.

That's what so cool about the Terminator. He didn't taunt you or play with you...he just killed you.

I also liked that about Christian Bale in "Equilibrium". He was awesome in that (though he was a bad/good guy in the vein of "Logan's Run").

14. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Maul was never the great thinker.

15. Sitara

Oct 8, 2001
    Not so sure about that. Keep in mind he was sidious's apprentice; the only _TRUE_ apprentice one might say, since he was uncorrupted by jedi teachings, and was a sith from the get-go, just like palps.

Plus, keep in mind that Maul tracked padme's ship when no one else in the galaxy was able to do so; in the OT vader had an entire armada at his disposal, yet could not find the millenium falcon at all. (had to beg the bounty hunters for help).

16. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Maul was dealing with some royal pilots who never had to evade anyone a day in their lives, whereas Solo was a seasoned smuggler(who was the best according to Jabba) who evaded an imperial fleet in an asteroid field. Hardly a good basis for judgement of intelligence.

17. Sitara

Oct 8, 2001

Never had to evade anyone in their lives? <sarcasm>I suppose the part where they evaded the trade federation BATTLE ARMADA and an entire palnetary BLOCKADE must have been my imagination.</sarcasm>

(They also did not do this in an asteroid field I might add; much easier to hide in a field of asteroids than to hide in CLEAR FREAKING view. )

18. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Don't forget that Maul also had the trace from the communication from Naboo, telling him they were Tatooine, helping his search considerably.

But thats not really the point of this thread.

19. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    The Higher ground issue isn't a continuity problem. Maul did nothing. He had time to block Obi-wan's blow, but did nothing. Higher ground became irrelivant if Maul wasn't going to act.

20. Sumras_Naju

Sumras_Naju Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 29, 2005
    I think that is the problem though. As bad as Maul was in the force and lightsaber combat, he didnt act. With his skills and such, Obi Wan should have never bested Maul that way. I think that Mauls demise should have been different, seeing as how Anakin was made short work of by Obi Wan while trying to use the same tactic.

21. BothofUs

BothofUs Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    Personally, I think that the Obi-Wan slice in The Phantom Menace should stay the way it is. Most people are missing the point of why Lucas had Obi-Wan land first, then slice at Maul:

First, Obi-Wan was only a padawan. He needed to concentrate on the jump, the un-ignited saber at Qui-Gon's side, and Maul all at the same time.

Second, there is no time for the saber to get all the way over to the duel in time for Obi-Wan to do the move. Think about it, in order for Obi-Wan to do the move, he would need to send the lightsaber to his hand way before he started the jump, which would give Maul a heads-up on the move and he could end it before it started.

and
    Third, and most importantly, Lucas wanted to show how arrogant the Sith, and specifically Maul, was to not be ready for that move. Maul thought Obi-Wan was doomed and never expected in a million years that a young Jedi would be able to do something that clever and skilled. Wasn't it great to see the surprised look on Maul's face as Obi-Wan landed in front of him?

22. Darth_Snuggle

Darth_Snuggle Jedi Master star 2

Jun 5, 2005
    If I might interject for a moment with my opinion :)

As many have said here, Maul was arrogant, and that played a part in his downfall. I also agree that the end of the RotS duel doesn't really detract from the TPM one, if anything it helps bridge them (at least, that's what I felt when I saw it). Like wcleere stated earlier, if you execute a move, you'd best know how to counter it yourself. It showed Obi-Wan was a smart fighter, and being smart keeps you alive longer.

As far as the finishing move goes, I think the TPM finale had a good tempo to it, so I don't think it requires any modifications - to speed it up would make it feel like it went by too quickly, bookended as it is by slower tempos. It's flashy enough to be a good finisher, far better than I've seen in other swordfights around that time.

An incredible finishing move, absolutely. My only quibble is that some yahoo would say it's already been used by Duncan MacLeod in the Highlander series.

Crap. That yahoo turned out to be me, huh? :oops: Well, who's to say you can't tweak a good move and make it your own?

23. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    I think that is the problem though. As bad as Maul was in the force and lightsaber combat, he didnt act.

It is a problem, but has nothing to do with higher ground. Maul didn't try, which causes an inconsitancy in his character, not an inconsistancy between movies.

24. youngvader

youngvader Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 21, 1999
    otherwise Maul looks like a moron

He does look like a moron. He looks at Obi jump over him and doesn't do anything as he gets cut in two. Pretty weak.

25. Sitara

Oct 8, 2001
    But is that as bad as actually being WARNED out loud as to what would happen were one to actually jump? Obi-Wan told anakin what, yet li'l ani still jumped and still got chopped up. THat is not simply weak, its downright stupid. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.