main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The history of midi-chlorians and The Force in the Star Wars universe

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DrDre, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Not quite, the midis are apparently a requirement for LIFE in the SW galaxy. Without it, there would no animal or plant life or even bacteria. So remove it and the SW galaxy would be devoid of life.

The spice in Dune is used for various things and have both short and long term effects on the humans that use it.
    But it is not a key component of life.
    If there was no more spice, then space travel as they knew it would cease. It wouldn't destroy all life.
    Other forms of space travel have obviously existed. These would require the use of computers and those are banned. But without spice I would think that that ban would get lifted eventually.
    Now possibly it would take time for them to figure out how to do if if the knowledge to build those things have been lost.

Bye for now.
    The Guarding Dark

2. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 24, 2015

And? Changing the tables wont change the room.

3. Samuel Vimes

Sep 4, 2012
    Depends on what the table is made of. If it made of something highly corrosive it can change the room. If it made of Anti-Matter it will definitively change room as the room will get blown up.

And changing the tables can certainly change how people perceives a room. If it is very big and ugly, that has one effect. If it is very old, that creates another. If it is very small, a third and so on.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

4. Keyser Soze

Dec 24, 2015
    The point is that any of this universe would exist entirely without the spice or the midis, the Jedi and the Sith depends of the midi for their power, the midis sustains life, the spice runs everything in the Dune universe, is in their way of life, they depend of the midis and the spice like we depend of technology.

5. Samuel Vimes

Sep 4, 2012
    Again not quite.
    In TPM it is said that LIFE can NOT exist without midis. So it a requirement for ALL LIFE.
    Remove it and you have no life.

QUI-GON : Life forms living together for mutual advantage. Without the
    midi-chlorians, life could not exist,

The spice in Dune is not a requirement for life. It a substance that is used to do a number of things.
    Removing it would not mean that life would not be possible nor that space travel could not happen etc. It is much like oil in our world. We use it for a number of things and if it were to dry up entirely that would have an impact on our society and our way of life. But the absence of oil would not mean that no life would exist on Earth.

Oxygen is a key component for much of the life on Earth. Remove it and a lot of life would die.

Also the Jedi and Sith do not depend on the midis as such. The rely on the Force and the midis are essentially middle men that allow you to access the Force.

Bye for now.
    Blackboard Monitor

6. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012
    I'm not really sure how "No" makes any sense. Yes, all these us are made of spice...but it is not the same - at all - as midiclorians. The spice, and it's life cycle, is based upon ...

"Frank went on to tell me that much of the premise of Dune — the magic spice (spores) that allowed the bending of space (tripping), the giant worms (maggots digesting mushrooms), the eyes of the Freman (the cerulean blue of Psilocybe mushrooms), the mysticism of the female spiritual warriors, the Bene Gesserits (influenced by tales of Maria Sabina and the sacred mushroom cults of Mexico) — came from his perception of the fungal life cycle, and his imagination was stimulated through his experiences with the use of magic mushrooms."

(from "Mycelium Running: How mushrooms can help save the world")

It is also used as an analogy to oil ("He who controls the spice controls the universe")

What the spice most certainly is not is some bacterial, quasi genetic, pre-ordained 'greatness'...given to a chosen few in the universe by a big sky-King.

7. Keyser Soze

Dec 24, 2015

I already known that, it funny that you use the world analogy, without knowing what it means, because I was using the spice as analogy to the Midis, superficial difference aside it basically the same thing, both things give special powers to the people that have them, it not rocket science.

8. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Everyone in Star Wars is born with midis, life can't exist without them, which also would mean life can't exist without the force. This also means everybody would have some ability to use the force with training, but some would have a natural advantage at it over others depending on their midi count. A high midi count force user is pretty much an athlete in the force.

Most people are born with the ability to drive a car, but not everyone is born with the ability to be a race car driver or a stunt driver.

9. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012

I know exactly what analogy means, otherwise I could not have used it in it's obviously correct form. I was responding to your "No"...which, as I said, didn't make any sense.

I think that any analogy between midiclorians and spice melange is a very weak one, and I think the differences are more than just "superficial". For one, the spice melange derives from a well developed and complex life-cycle and is an integral part of the story (ie...from the start) of Dune. The spice enhances psychological skills and abilities, as well as extending life (time dilation) - the Bene Geserit and Paul are shown as having learned skills without the spice; you'll note also that the Fremen do not gain these powers simply from ingesting spice, but require training in the "wierding ways" from Lady Jessica. The spice is, as I have said, an integral part of the story as it is control of the supply of spice that drives the narrative.

Midiclorians are an ill-considered microbial, 'scientific' addendum whose only use appears to be to give a measurement of Anakin's importance; a microbial organism that seems, oddly, to have a precise and pre-determined quantity within creatures' bodies and that, if we are to believe the position put forward by TPM, actually give people powers - even if they don't know about them, and the 'level' of those powers is constrained by that incredibly consistent microbial count that (if we are to understand Lucas correctly regarding Anakin's creation - that it was the Force) are dished out to certain individuals (and oddly their descendants from the male line) by a big, over-watching sky-king.

These are not superficial distinctions in any way.

10. Samuel Vimes

Sep 4, 2012
    Again not quite.
    The differences are quite significant.

1) Spice is an external substance found on one planet and that can be used to do various things by humans.
    Midis are a part of the cellular makeup of all life in the SW galaxy.
    Comparing with real life Spice is analogous to oil, drugs and performance enhancers.
    Midis are more akin to mitochondria, proteins or DNA.
    Not very similar.

2) Spice is something that humans can ingest and then with the proper training they can do various things with it. So the amount of spice in humans can change.
    Midis exist in all life and the amount of midis can not be altered.

3) The midis themselves are not the source of the Jedi's/Sith power, that is still the Force.
    The midis are just middle men that acts as a kind of conduit between the Force and the user.

As only one kenobi said, how the Spice/midis is used in story is also quite different.
    The Spice is a very important substance for various reasons and makes Arrakis possibly the most important planet. Without it, it would just be a very in-hospitable planet. So it is vital to all of the big players in the story.
    Midis are there to offer a sort of explanation how Force strength can be passed on and give a numerical number on Anakin's Force power. Beyond that they are talked about much.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface