main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth! Moons of Munnipor! - Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (no tags)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Jan 9, 2016.

1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Rylo Ken - Strange as the Sorcerer Supreme in comics, protected Earth from various dimensions and the entities which came through them. He also protects good people from dark forces, evil magicians etc. It takes constant practice, diligence and discipline to hold back dark forces. Now, maintaining the time space continuum makes Strange sound utterly boring. I have a feeling we're going to get a bit of both with the MCU Strange.

I've yet to see anything that will push me from waiting for the rental. The weak script gives me pause, to say nothing of the Inception visuals of which I am not a fan. Still, I did enjoy Sinister and Deliver Us from Evil (especially the latter, I think Marvel dropped the ball in not casting Edgar Ramirez as Stephen, but water under the bridge), so perhaps there will be something I see in the next week or so that will get me off my duff and into the theatre.

Me, I just want a for real, very powerful and good wizard protecting the Marvel universe from supernatural and malignant things. Not another advanced science wand to wave that away. If the Ancient One turns out to be another one of those aliens like the MCU Asgardians, I will be pretty darn annoyed.

2. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    But how will it be "believable" :rolleyes: otherwise?

3. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    The2ndQuest I love how excited he looked over $150.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Stephen Strange gotta eat.

5. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    We all know how expensive those Moonpies of Muunipor can get. :p

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Does it have to be believable? :rolleyes: How about just fun, crazy and imaginative. I completely believed in Strange in the comics and believed in the magic itself. I don't need science to make it "believable." All I need is a character who wields this to make me believe.

7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Thor etc, are supposed to be Gods, right? I think that probably put Disney up to the changes. Supernatural stuff will probably be fine.

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well I mean Thor's an alien but he's also the only alien we know of who can fly, though that could also be attributed to the "highly advanced science" of Mjölnir. Loki is also the only alien we know who can teleport and make illusions like he does, so maybe he's the mutant/inhuman (inalien?) of the bunch.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    You can't say mutant! Fox has ears everywhere you fool!

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Floating magic sigil stuff. I like The Eye lighting up too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I couldn't tell for certain by reading it, but I believe Hollywood Reporter has given Strange a positive review. Highlight are:

1. Great cast elevates the material above the purely "juvenile."
    2. The bit where they stole the bendy twisty cityscapes from Inception look better than Inception, especially in 3D

12. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    IGN review:

Basically they say what we've been expecting by now: great cast and visuals make up for a formulaic origin story and underwritten villain and love interest.

13. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    is Clea in this and who's playing her ?

14. Macho Mantis

Macho Mantis Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2015
    :(

Apparently not, sorry.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    RT score debuts at 100%- though only with 14 reviews so far. Still, bodes well if the film is still pretty entertaining in spite of any shortcomings.

16. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    If the movie comes across as formulaic, I attribute it to being true to the origin story, which was itself formulaic across the Marvel Universe. Thus, I have no problem with it.

Having recently watched some behind-the-scenes footage, I noticed Wong grabbing what appears to be a Marvel Universe mystical artifact known as the Wand of Watoomb. That got me wondering if the movie will use or reference some of the named spells, such as the Shield of the Seraphim, the Fangs of Farallah, the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak, the Winds of Watoomb, the Daggers of Daverroth, the Faltinian Flames, and so on.

If they do, I know I'm gonna squee so hard :-B :p

Darth_Invidious and Master_Lok like this.
  17. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Yeah, that would be pretty great. Part of what I adored about Strange were the named spells, they're just so much fun and give Stephen his own unique stamp on sorcery. I may just swallow my silly pride and just go.

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah the director mentioned in an interview on Reddit that they do indeed use the spoken spells.

Master_Lok and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's kinda funny, really- Strange's spells are made up yet, as I understand it, Potter's are basically based on Latin or what have you. Yet, Potter's spells have always sounded utterly ridiculous and made-up-without-trying and Strange's one sound legit. ;)

20. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Here's what I was talking about:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT:

[​IMG]

21. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I would expect nothing less from Derrickson at this point given the exorcism material he's shot. Still... [face_dancing][face_party][face_dancing]

22. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    I was making at the sarcastic jab at their tendency to make everything out to be advanced science rather than leaving it as magic. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. [face_laugh]

You're damn right they're going to do the spoken spells!

Master_Lok and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  23. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012

I was going to say that position would be quite odd especially with someone who has such a powerful wizard as Raistlin Majere as their avatar.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes, some mod favorite.

25. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    So I've kicked my cynic out of bed and will go see this. Just hope Strange isn't constantly owned by the bad guys (as he is in those Ultimate Spider-Man cartoons. Yeah, I get it, it is Spidey's show but I suppose that tact shouldn't surprise me when Joe Q is an executive producer as he was the one who started to curb Strange's powers in the first place. Even so...let him do his thing people).