main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth! Moons of Munnipor! - Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (no tags)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Jan 9, 2016.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Nope. I sure got that vibe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought the teaser trailer started out rough because it looked a bit odd, especially with the Ancient One, which took me out of the trailer. But it finished strong and had me going Wha da frak?

I still have a large amount of excitement for the film because I not that familiar with the character and I don't think he punches things to solve problems. I'm glad he doesn't need a magic wand.

2. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    :)
    As a long time fan, I'm quite excited since the current comics version of Strange is not my ace of cups. And I am also glad he doesn't need a wand.

Happy to see what appears to be existing character motivations too, caught more than just a pang of jealously from Chiwetel.

3. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    This is one of the best assembled casts I've ever seen in the service of one of the worst trailers I've ever seen.

4. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    You're the best, Ken.

5. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
  6. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    This entire movie is going to be Bucket Crunderdunder staring at his hands and doing a bad east coast accent. So it's basically Black Mass but with a 75 per cent increase in hands.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    "Magic is just science you don't understand yet."

Nothing wrong with Quantum Physics but I didn't think it applies to Doctor Strange.

I wish they would have more "Magic vs Science" stuff in the films, not literally just brought up, it was done in Thor and Cap TFA but then seemingly disappeared.
    (I really want to see that with the DC universe with the Justice League Dark- still holding out hope, a few years ago I really wanted a Nolan take on Batman meeting these people dressed in full costume and having to come to terms with magic and "super powers'...... it just would have worked really well.)

A little suprised at the reactions here, I really liked it.
    Promising really promising.

Mind boggling effects are there! it is the stuff cinema was made to show.

Reminds me of Batman Begins which is a great film.

It really has to break the Marvel formula though-that is the biggest problem- every film feels very similar with Phrase 1 and 2 minus the Avengers and maybe Ant Man (haven't seen yet, Shoot me!).

I hope if this does well, we get a Scarlet Witch film or her in the sequel. Magic users!

*leading to a House of M film in Phrase 4. Where she has weird aons who are her arms. I read a few comics years ago as I was getting into the MCU with Captain America. I remember thinking wouldn't it be cool to see Cap in the present day and a revived Hydra ( the comic I read had a revived Red Skull and Sin, Red Skull's Daughter unfortunately they didn't turn up), then I read Civil War and wished we could get that as a film.

Now we have and are!
    Crazy

So MCU X-Men and House of M please!

Rumour/Speculation
    She may even appear here near the end according to some rumours where she trains under him.

*the effects are not final- these are early early production pieces. I've seen a comparison someone made of the GOTG trailer vs the final film. It was really enlightening so I'll have to dig it out.

8. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012

Fiege uttered Quantum physics all over the place when discussing the "magic" in Doctor Strange.

Cue Strange Fan Woman rant:

Honestly, there better not be some alien technology that allows them to distort realities or jump between dimensions. Explain a little if you must but don't poo-poo it away like Thor so sloppily did. Yeah, I'm annoyed at Marvel because they just won't let the fantasy elements be in their films. The Asgardians are aliens, GTHO with that ancient alien business. Given how popular the fantasy genre is, I have no idea why they rail against this.

rant over/

All that said, with Scott Derrickson on board, I have a strong feeling some of those lines will be blurred and there will be some magic involved.

I don't see the whole Batman Begins* connection here as Strange's origin has him going to Tibet in searching of someone to heal his hands; thereby meeting the Ancient One and ultimately being trained. *Inception in the other realities, yes, but otherwise no other ties to Nolan for me anyway.

9. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    I haven't really been following the news much, avoiding spoilers for both BVS and Civil War. I don't mind quantum physics and enjoy it, to me it kinda is magic. It doesn't matter how much we know, we can never truly see or appreciate the quantum world. To me that's magic- something that is beyond our comprehension but that can still be used.

Thor is an alien but I think it's been handled okay so far. Aren't they fantasy films? I mean the Nine Realms are just Nine Realms. ( okay they are planets and the universe is not a giant tree). Loki mentions in The Avengers that there are even places Asgard doesn't know about and hence explaining Thanos's lair.

Batman Begins- man goes to temple in remote icy conditions and trains to become something more. That's the connection. If there is more say the big bad was a former student of the Ancient One or the Ancient One then definitely Batman Begins.

Jedi Merkurian and Master_Lok like this.
  10. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012

Nothing against quantum physics and I appreciate your response. I just would like Marvel Films to embrace the magic and fantasy of their characters who are magic and fantasy based. If it's worked for 50 years in the comics why not risk it? They took the leap with Guardians of the Galaxy and it paid off beautifully. I skipped Ant Man so I have no idea if that did well. Besides if you get the loopy extremists who pitch fork the magic idea more people will want to see the movie. :p

That said, I am jaded enough to understand why they cross this divide (for $, mass audiences, $ and no Deus Ex Machinas which is why Marvel comics powered down Strange for well over a decade.)

Kicking jaded film business self to the curb, I want to see and hear Strange recite those wonderful spells and the like. And given that director Scott Derrickson has tackled something like this the supernatural in the real world with Deliver Us from Evil (Exorcism in an urban setting with a non believing cop); I'd like to see him explore the magic and mystical side of things in a fantasy setting as he is open to that material too. A cracking good vs. evil story with abilities and possibilities from the wonderful imaginations of Stan Lee, Steve Ditko and other artists. I love wizards and so I am eager to see them not simply science away all the wonder and mystery about Stephen and his abilities.

Thor, with the context of aliens and technology negates what fantasy the comics and the Norse mythology has for me. I think fantasy I think Tolkien, DragonLance, Thor and Doctor Strange comics. The PTB at Marvel (in both their comic and film arms prefer real world explanations for everything.)

There's a strong possibility that one or two of The Ancient Ones' students goes awol in this film, but since the Doctor Strange comic origin came a good 40+ years before Batman Begins; if that happens I still see it as part of Stephen's origin rather than something Nolan did in his initial Batman film. I am just as guilty as comparing new films to ones that have been released already, but in this case, I cling hard and fast to the comic origin.

If the filmmakers cite Nolan's BB, then you can say, you silly woman, I told you so several posts ago!:D

11. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    Do you just want Thor's helmet? I do, not just Thor all of them especially Scarlet Witch.

I agree though that the MCU has held back on well fantasy and fun. Look at the character bios for Civil War or Age of Ultron for instance instead of just comicy design there's a real life focus. Which is fine, I guess but I think it needs to happen.

Do you think the MCU or any story is flawed if it tries to tackle both magic and science?
    Can they coexist and still produce a good story? Ie. No deus ex machines with both of them.

*that's why, I would have liked to have seen a Nolan take on both the Justice League and then the Dark team and magic. How he would have incorporated that into the realistic world of TDK.

I haven't read many comics, certainly not Doctor Strange. I just read reference guides and websites so I do not really know Strange's origin. I just really liked the different direction that the film is taking. And should.

GOTG did that as well but I didn't like it (gasps), it never seemed to absorb me in. I don't really understand the love for it. I haven't got round to seeing Ant Man yet.

Master_Lok likes this.
  12. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012

LOL, no I don't want Thor's helmet. :) It's a bit deeper than this, but Thor is water under the rainbow bridge. I just brought him up as an example as to what I hope won't happen with Strange.

Magic and science, not any story no; they can coexist, but avoiding a Deus Ex Machina is tricky and could be fatale with both actually.

but my reason for railing, is I know they're playing it safe and effectively retconning away what the comics have put forth. That is why I am so cranky because TPTB (Joe Quesada, Brian Michael Bendis, Axel Alonso, Kevin Fiege etc.) prefer real world over magic and fantasy - they're essentially reworking the origin of magical characters in the films as they done in the comics since the late 90s.

Stephen is a wizard. THE Marvel wizard actually. The Sorcerer Supreme of this dimension. I just want some of the magic of the comics to remain. I'd like to see Marvel risk that in a movie and watch it pay off handsomely. What I want and what will be, could be quite different.

BTW, I loved the GoTG 2008 mini series, but disliked the film as well. So utterly disappointed, but like the Force Awakens, I am in the minority with that and I'm okay with it.

I'm glad that people are mentioning they want something different and that Strange may give it to them. Me, I love what I've seen in this teaser; I just would love to see it not be explained to death. That's all.

soitscometothis and Darthmaul208 like this.
  13. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Still a bit disappointed that Mikkelsen is not playing Mordo...

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't see Thor as a good example of undercutting the fantasy elements of the MCU, as the Asgardians have been aliens fir quite some time. That they have advanced tech that justifies their magic is fine.

Here, with Strange, we know there'll be some kind of dimensional energy aspect to the magic (as per the Zero Matter/Gravitonium rift, etc in AC/AOS) instead of technology. There could be a quantum element to the dimensional aspects (connecting things to Ant-Man) but I don't think they'll go all-in as an explanation.

[​IMG]

15. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    To me the trailer has the decayed look of recent Wachowski sibling nonsense. It wants to be The Matrix, but seems overwrought and strained like a Jupiter Ascending.

If a trailer can give off such a strong whiff of misfire, you have to believe the movie itself is 10 times worse.

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Because a good (or even just decent movie) has never had a bad (or average) trailer before.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  17. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I'm optimistic because it's Marvel but I know nothing about Doctor Strange. He reminds me slightly of Zatara/Doctor Fate from 2010's Young Justice television series (both season 1 and 2 are available on Netflix streaming.)

18. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Right. The only ironclad rule of trailers is never pay to see a comedy if the trailer doesn't make you laugh.

In the case of Dr. Strange, good trailers are critical for building an audience. if Iron Man and Deadpool have taught audiences anything, it's that superhero movies are dull dull dull without a wisecracking bad boy pseudo anti hero.

Strange looks not just overblown but also a bit tired and cliche in the wake of Deadpool and Suicide Squad. Not that Suicide Squad looks good. And I haven't seen Deadpool.

19. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I don't know. That trailer left me completely underwhelmed. I found it very "meh".

Now, don't get me wrong, this is a Marvel Film, so they've got my money in the bank. I'm going to go see it.

But, I just think that exact trailer with a different title and no "Marvel" logo on it ... I'm probably not going to go see it. It looks very cookie cutter - we have used elements before that were successful, let's try them again in a slightly different flavor. We'll tell the masses we have a new cookie! Instead of Chocolate Chip and Walnut, we have ... Walnut and Chocolate Chip!

I'm not saying I've reached a point of superhero burnout (Mrs. Inty is already planning on us seeing Civil War three times in the first 8 days). I'm saying this one ... it's not grabbing me. Maybe the next trailer will be better. But I can't remember being "meh" about a Marvel Trailer before.

20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Finally, the Jurassic World post of 2016. Thank you, Ken.

Rylo Ken and DarthIntegral like this.
  22. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Dr. Strange isn't going to be the Jurassic World of 2016.

There. I've doubled down.

My Jurassic World of 2016 is Independence Day: Resurgence. Trailer is terrible. Nostalgia factor isn't negligible. Probably going to be a massive hit, but I badly want it to fail.

My alternate Jurassic World of 2016 is Ghostbusters. Trailer is terrible. Nostalgia factor isn't negligible. Probably going to be a massive hit, but I badly want it to fail.

Dr. Strange: trailer is terrible. No nostalgia factor. I want it to fail, but no more so than I want any other Marvel movie to fail.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Perhaps the combined momentum of this film and Batman v Marbury will sound the death knell on stupidly interlocking 25-entry/year "cinematic universes." Or maybe just replace all the snappy dialogue with characters that actually respond to one another and the situation that is supposed to be taking place in the film.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I still haven't viewed the trailer because I'll probably see it 67,000 times when I go to the movies.

25. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015

Dr. Strange and Batman v. Superman definitely represent a belated wave of film production based on the unprecedented success of Marvel's Avengers. The new model I guess is the Deadpool/Suicide Squad paradigm in which Marvel takes the Iron Man/Robert Downey, Jr. template and then ups the irreverence and raunchiness a few more notches to give the impression that it is doing something edgy. 13 year old boys eat that up. Sneakin' into the movies to see Deadpool.

Deadpool is funny. He doesn't play by the rules. His movie cost $60 million to make and made $750 million worldwide. Let's do more of that!

BigAl6ft6 and Darthmaul208 like this.