main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth! Moons of Munnipor! - Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (no tags)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Jan 9, 2016.

1. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
  2. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
  3. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Thanks for posting the costume shot.

4. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012

Yup, looks like lots of quantum physics... with the multiple dimensions.

Not too crazy about that. I do like everyone in their roles from what is shown here...so I'll watch and wait. Nice to see the martial arts training and other interesting elements...so perhaps I'll change my mind with subsequent footage. Still, that reliance on QP puts a big cramp in my support.

5. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    See, I don't get a quantum physics vibe at all. The Ancient One states flat-out that these abilities are derived from years of study and practice the mystic arts.

6. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    The multiple dimensions / Inception look of those dimensions - it all feels like that to me - perhaps it is due to the patterns I see in the effects, but I do hope I am proved 100% wrong. I understand your point of view though and won't bail on this because I am convinced of the characters now. I'll stick around.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, from AC & AOS we know the energies and such at least come from other dimensions.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Also theoretically from Ant-Man with the energy from the Microverse and them saying that would tie into Doctor Strange...

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh yeah, there's definitely a shared fractal look between these effects and the Quantum Realm.

Master_Lok and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  10. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    This newest trailer just makes me more anxious to see Doctor Strange on the big screen. So long as all of the action isn't reserved for the last 20-30 minutes of the movie, like Batman v Superman, I think it'll be spectacular.

11. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    What do quantum physics look like? That's the question I want answered.

I'm still bothered that they haven't just let Stephen Strange be a haughty Brit who has to learn humility. It'd work far better than Cumberbatch's current attempt an American accent.

12. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    Well I guess, pretty solid to start off with from a distance and then when you get closer the particles will become fuzzier and hazy. They'll probably appear and disappear before you've even realised!

I was describing electrons but quantum physics is too large a subject to visualise!

There is a thing called a wave function which if I understand it is a self propagating stable state that explains where a particle exists but as a wave, it has a standard curve to it so the closer you are to seeing it's exact position at that moment the harder it is to see.
    In effect you change the wave function when you observe it, that is when you take a measurement.

If I'm wrong someone step in and correct me.

13. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    No, I want a visualization of the concept of quantum physics. :p

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  14. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    Oh that trailer was good.
    Cannot wait!

I have a problem though with just how these powers then can fit in with the other superheroes/Avengers.
    I'm worried I will want more of this type of film rather than other Marvel films.

Also anyone catch the little reference with Mads Mikkleson saying "I am Death" which Benedict Cumberbatch said when he played/voiced Smaug in The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug?

I also found the Lego Dr Strange set which is £30, I was tempted.

15. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Still a bit disappointed that Mikkelsen is not playing Mordo, but he is playing a villain of some sort. I wonder if they're setting up Ejifor's Mordo as more of a tragic fall for emotional resonance in a sequel?

16. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
  17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I am so stealing this for my own use.

18. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, it's pretty obvious that the effects in this one are intended to take advantage of enhanced visual depth so that's not a surprise that they'd be highlighting that.

20. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Cross-post from the MCU Thread:

Soooo...I'm guessing that the Reality Stone figures big in Dr. Strange. So that means:

Space (the Tesseract) and Reality (Eye/Orb of Agamotto?) were on Earth.
    Time was the Aether (?)
    Power (?) was on that one planet in GotG
    Mind was given by Thanos to Loki

Space and Time were given to the Collector, but where are they now?
    Power is in the hands of the Nova Corps
    Reality and Mind are still on Earth

Will we see Adam Warlock and the Soul Gem in GotG2?

21. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Occasionally there are films that, for me, are worth seeing in 3D: The Force Awakens I saw in 3D because I got to the cinema at the wrong time to catch a 2D showing; I was annoyed as I've had several very disappointing 3D movie experiences (in both Thor and The Avengers the screen was too dark and the frame-rate made the action a jerky mess) and had decided not to pay extra for 3D ever again, however I was blown away by the 3D in TFA. The second time I watched it in 2D and I really missed the 3D effects.

I'm perfectly happy to pay the extra for the 3D experience if the film-makers have made an effort to make it work well and the cinema staff show the film properly.

I've been a Warlock fan since the seventies, but considering how GotG mangled Gamora (and Starlord, the Nova Corps, and Drax, but it's Gamora that really rankled), I'm not sure I want to see what they might do to him.

22. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    That's great if you like the technology and can physically handle it.

I've yet to see a 3D film that immersed me any deeper into that world and that I could fully see (every 3D I've seen was overly dark and a poor use of the technology.)

Plus, I am one of those lucky people who cannot physically tolerate 3D. Add the darkened picture and the utterly obnoxious price point = no dice. I'll simply wait for the much cheaper rental in 2D.

I am sure when I rent in 2D I will understand and be immersed in that world IF Derrickson and his cast and crew did right by the characters and story. I just saw Deliver Us From Evil (2014) again and that made me curious about the horror and dark elements Scott will put into the film, but telling me how I should see it is a huge turn off when it's obvious why they are doing that. From a business and non storytelling standpoint. If the filmmakers did their job we'll enjoy and understand Stephen's journey regardless of what format we see the film in.

23. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Sure, I can certainly sympathise with your point of view - most of my viewings of a film will come from watching the dvd at home in 2D, and I imagine that goes for most people. Bearing that in mind, I think that if a film needs 3D to work it's pretty much a failure.

24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    3D can work, but the movie has to really warrant it. TFA I saw in 2D and 3D, and the 3D didn't really add much. Hugo, OTOH, now that movie warranted 3D, and works just fine without it.

And just based on the trailers this looks like it'll already look pretty awesome in 2D, let alone 3D.

25. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    And I can sympathize with your point of view too.

You voiced many others have said elsewhere, if a film needs 3D to work etc... That was the first thing that came to mind about this (secondary were those things I posted), but I am trying to keep it +. Worse comes worse, it's a not a good movie, but I like to think the film will be so much more than 3D effects. Characters and story for me or bust. :D