main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Why not simply and directly state what you mean? Whence the incredulous "Really?" Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition, but I would prefer Terry Gilliam's comfy chair to the insinuation that my intellect is lacking ("You don't get why it's a big deal...?"). I've already addressed -- repeatedly at this point -- why Tolkien surceased his Hobbit re-write. What is the point you're trying to make with this literary footnote, fascinating as it is in its own right?

2. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Bah, humhobbit! [face_shhh] My wife and I and several small children we know found it as charming as a visit from Santa Claus. True story. We can't be the only ones.

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I have it in my head that I shall read my first Tolkien novel soon, perhaps The Hobbit. I get this feeling that many life long people have this extreme attachment to book to film conversion. As a Tolkien-book virgin I can tell you that the films by Pete Jackson are fun, and good. This idea that he somehow raped "Tolkiens message" I find utterly stupid.

Merlin_Ambrosius69 likes this.
  4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    here are these kids listening to bilbo's story about the trolls:

[​IMG]

here they are again at sam's wedding:

[​IMG]

i don't think hobbits age that slow. :p

5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Thanks for the (many pages back -- I can't believe I read through 15 pages 8-} ) explanation about the eagles.

As a fan of the movies (and not so much of the books), I like the idea of 6 months elapsing more than the idea of 17 years--possibly because the movie makes it seem so urgent.

6. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    The Hobbit has passed $600,000,000 globally.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  7. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    And the Sackville-Bagginses are simply fuming with envy. [face_money_eyes]

8. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Am I the only person not really enamoured with Freeman's performance? Too many notes.

Liked Armitage though. Plays it straight down the line, which is the only way to do the Tolkien world, I guess. It might be because Thorin Whatsisface is a better-rendered character than Bilbo for about 2/3rds of this 1/3rd.

9. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Bilbo's contract is available in full at B&N.

[​IMG]

Rebel_Padawan and Force Smuggler like this.
  10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    This is amazing. I would like to get it.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  11. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    the hell?

Barriss_Coffee and NYCitygurl like this.
  12. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    It can't be 6 months. Bilbo's party was on September 22nd. Frodo arrives in Rivendell on October 24th. So either Gandalf is gone for only a couple weeks, or he's gone for over a year.

13. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Very good point. I can like a year. Enough time for Frodo to grow complacent and Gandalf to Get Stuff Done, but still somewhat urgent. I really can't see it just being a few weeks.

14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    IMDB's FAQ says it's a year, but doesn't say what they're basing that on.

15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    A little eagle told them.

16. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I guess it all depends on how long it would take to ride from the Shire to Gondor and back.

As for Frodo's journey, we know for sure it took at least two days to reach Bree, another two days to Weathertop, and, according to Sam, another six days on foot to Rivendell. Arwen's rescue shortened that last portion considerably, but Frodo can't have left the Shire after October 19th. So that leaves 27 days at most for Gandalf's round trip journey, possibly even less if we add more days to Frodo's route. So if we are to assume all of the first part of FOTR took place in the same calendar year, Gandalf would have had to ride unbelievably fast.

17. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    The contract has been 99% deciphered here.

Best parts:
    Company is prepared to sample Burglar’s wines, ales, beers, and meads; in short, any beverages of a non-perishable nature, and if found acceptable, to transport such beverages at Company’s own expense.

Lanterns, lamps, torches, and any other equipment considered a fire risk shall be lit and operated by the fire safety officer nominated by the Company.

Company may modify or adjust this Agreement from time to time at its sole discretion, with or without notice to Burglar.

Disputes arising between the Contract Parties shall be heard and judged by an arbitrator of the Company’s choosing and all pleas shall be pleaded, shrewed, defended, answered, debated, and judged in the Dwarvish Tongue.

18. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    An interesting review on TOR.n - I find that I agree with most of it (although the reviewer is slightly more critical than I am). I like his opinions about 48 fps and 3D.

19. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I'm still very, very enthusiastic about 48fps - and didn't feel it was unevenly effective in the film (from two minutes in I forgot all about it), but I'm sure there will be scope for more sophisticated deployment of the technology as time passes, yes. Nobody gets it spot on first time (or, in comparison to times when something it at its peak, even close to spot on). When someone does wholly master 48fps (and I hope someone does get that chance) I might well look back on AUJ and think less of it... but for now I'm still dazzled by the potential.

It's a very nice review, but I can't agree (as everyone will know by now) with his bit on Radagast. :p Dodgy geography aside, he'll forever be awesome in my book.

20. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Oh yeah, Radagast and his Bunny Sled of Awesomeness will forever be awesome - even thought the geography in that chase scene was totally off, and the sled did look a bit weightless and obviously CGI occasionally... :p

21. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Yeah, Radagast was taking some stupid pills in that scene. When you're causing a distraction and leading away from a group, it's best to lead AWAY from where the group is going. Radagast was initially doing that, but then he loops around and goes back towards the company. Stupid idea. If he'd led them away, they wouldn't have had any trouble.

22. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    It IS Radagast, though... ;)

23. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    The best explanation I can offer is that he's at least keeping them occupied. :p

24. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    His cunning plan to lead the goblins away from the Company was so cunning he lost track of the geography. I blame Gandalf's pipeweed. :p

25. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Well if it's a cunning plan, then it's a plan I can get behind. :p