main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Those rabbits were epic!

Force Smuggler likes this.
  2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Those faces in the first picture [face_rofl]

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Hobbit Pt. 2 The Desolation of Smaug comes out this year!

4. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Really?! I didn't know that! I'm glad you're here to tell us such things.

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  5. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    All I'm saying is that it is finally closer to the movie even though it really isn't

6. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Well it wasn't any smarter of the company to run out into the open, on foot, to get away from mounted pursuit.

7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I tried making my own bunny sleigh, but all of the rabbits died due to prolonged exposure to the cold.

9. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I know this is not very appropriate thread, but can I just say I love your signature, IAreTheInternets? :p

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Thank you. I created it on the fly. It's a keeper.

11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    unfortunately it comes out in December

Force Smuggler likes this.
  12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah but it looks closer and better to me.

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Anyways... how are people predicting Dol Guldor will go?

I always thought it was a battle, but right now it's only Gandalf (perhaps Radagast & Galadriel too) who look likely to go. And it's still not Gandalf's plan to leave Bilbo and the Dwarves before they enter Mirkwood.

I think it would be cool if Galadriel gets Elrond and Saruman to join them. Then we could see Gandalf, Saruman, and Radagast all go against the Necromancer/Sauron at once. Perhaps we can see Sauron begin to plant seeds of doubt/rebellion into Saruman's mind, but it would also be nice to see what a powerful Saruman on the side of the heroes would look like. The appendices also say Galadriel is the one who finally and totally destroys Dol Guldor (in the books it's during the War of the Ring, but I can see Jackson pushing up the timeline for this movie).

And I do have a feeling that the movies will kill off Radagast.

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    BTW- assuming the colors seem to be ranks as far as White > Grey. How do Blue and Brown rank?

15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Not sure. Radagast definitely seems below Gandalf, though. Or perhaps they all are just supposed to answer to Saruman the White.

The Blue are the most mysterious. From what Tolkien wrote about the two Blue Wizards, they left to the East, where Sauron is worshipped as a God-King (and the East is really Sauron's land, Mordor is just its western frontier land). Those two Blue Wizards could be the reason why the Easterlings from Rhun and beyond aren't as strong as they should be, after building up for thousands of years. The fate of the Blue Wizards is never really revealed, and the only other notable people from the West to go into the East are Saruman and Aragorn. And neither speak much of what they found there.

16. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Meh. I disagree with 90% of this review and will one day find time to handily rebut it point-by-point. Meanwhile it bears noting that a film critic expecting to be taken seriously should not make so many errors of fact. The reviewer, while seeming smug in his Tolkien- and film-related knowledge, gets a number of things flat wrong. For example, his assertion that Tolkien's story "lacks a deeper purpose, beyond reclaiming gold from a dragon" is patently inaccurate, given that in both book and film, the Dwarves' "deeper purpose" is clearly stated: to reclaim their homeland.

Further his insistence that "Those who know their Tolkien geography will scratch their heads at how Radagast evidently travelled from Mirkwood to the Trollshaws in seemingly no time," seems to forget or ignore that the chronology of events is not made clear in the movie. However many days it took Radagast to travel from Mirkwood to Trollshaws, that's how many days it took. The film simply presents the scenes contiguously for reasons of pacing; for all we know the Radagast-in-Greenwood sequence happens weeks before the Unexpected Party.

I also ardently disagree with the reviewer's opinion that "the Radagast sub-plot feels last minute, half-hearted, ill-conceived, underdeveloped, somewhat incongruous and ultimately redundant". I thrill to Radagast's scenes and find them quirky and refreshing. To each his own, of course, but the reviewer linked above first declares the film a "triumph", then proceeds to tear it down for two pages. [face_thinking]

17. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    So the deluxe version of the score CD contains some extra tracks at the end of the second disc.

Dreaming of Bag End
    A Very Respectable Hobbit
    Erebor
    The Dwarf Lords
    The Edge of the Wild

Anyone have these and figure out where they go in the film order of the score? I'd like to integrate into film order in my playlists...

18. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I saw the hobbit twice in theathers and the second time was better because the 3D distracted me from the film when I saw it the first time.

Anyways the extended edition should be better because it might explain the movie better because there are missing gaps in the movie and not enough charcter devolpment, just like the lord of the rings theatrical release! Thats reasons why crittics hated the film and because of how it is shot with the camera angle and not enough back story!

19. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Funny, critics didn't hate LOTR Trilogy. And according to you it had the same flaws.

20. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Looks to me like Unexpected Journey will hit $300 million U.S. and a bit more than $900 million worldwide. It may well fall short of $1 billion and end its run behind the much worse Skyfall as the fourth most successful film of 2012. Unfortunately, it's more than enough to ensure that we'll get more of the same in parts 2 and 3. What Jackson probably needed was a major box office thrashing to get his head back in the game. Now, we might as well resign ourselves to a part 2 as visually bloated, as narratively thin and as butt-achingly long as part 1.

Prediction: Beorn's Animal Farm is going to be a tedious reprise of the opening of Unexpected Journey - 45 minutes of vegetarian dinner before getting back on the road, with a few cuts to that albino djinni and Sauron's haunted mansion. It will be great.

Bacon164 likes this.
  21. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    bout to watch this shiznit in non-3d. keep ur fingers crossed for 24fps because they dont label that shizz

22. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    All 2D showings are 24fps, so don't worry. :p

23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Can some explain this fps business? What is it? etc

24. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Yeah, and also they do label that shizz. My ticked said Hobbit HFR 3D

25. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Films are done at 24fps usually. It makes stuffs look better. This was done at 48fps. Frames per second. Moar frames faster. Zoomy flashing result.