main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    No wait, Conan The Barbarian, the film, the first one, Arny, that sound track. I won't say the best ever, but that film is hardcore badass and I won't question anyone's opinion that it is the "the Best".

Ender_Sai likes this.
  2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    How are you, sir.

Ok, so it lacks effeminate pointy-eared, Aryan pout-masters and stout, hirsute alcoholics. But the genre has certain conventions which Conan doesn't so much tick as slash open in a glorious rampage.

Note: when I say fantasy, I do mean "sword and sorcery" if that helps clarify.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  3. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    YES.

It makes me want to crack out 2nd Ed R&E and calculate THAC0

VadersLaMent likes this.
  4. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I did enjoy Conan The Destroyer. But it is a watered down version of the first because of PG vs R rated nonsense. It does not matter if people think the films are not quite what RH intended.

5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Can I ask a quick question for anyone who saw it in HFR?

Obviously McKellen is older and he looked it - distractingly so - in this film. But the 90 year old Christopher Lee looked almost waxen on the 2D, not-HFR version I saw. Did Lee look like that in HFR as well>?

6. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Yes, it was distracting to me in both formats. From what I understand, there was a considerable amount of CGI applied to deage him. That and Galadriel's out of character telepathic interruptions took me completely out of the scene both times I've seen it.

Ender_Sai likes this.
  7. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    some of the stuff pj added i could have done without, but that was the one scene that really, really bugged me.

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I can understand wanting to give him a slightly less age-spotted complexion in case children are in the audience, but I couldn't tell if they were trying to make him appear otherworldly or not. Cheers for clarifying.

9. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    See, having never read the books I did not see any "out of character" anything. She read minds in LOTR, she does it in The Hobbit.

10. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    It was out of character because it was rude.

Ender_Sai likes this.
  11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    If you check the rules of the "How to remake your own trilogy" handbook (G Lucas, 1999) it says you have to have scenes that are strongly reminiscent of their counterparts from previous trilogies. So, in this case, you have to repeat the fan-loved Council of Elrond scene. You also have to replicate the fan-loved Mines of Moria in the Goblin lair.

(It's also known as the "Death Star Trench Run climax/Attack on Droid Control Ship climax" feature)

12. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Hmm, rude. If I could read minds, I would. So would anyone, though they might pretend otherwise.

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    The most powerful Maiar in Middle Earth is talking. Poor manners, and if Galadriel is a lady, she should know better.

Random Comments likes this.
  14. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    I don't think you understand what I'm saying. In LOTR, her telepathic abilities are limited to either one-on-one conversations (her with Frodo, Elrond), or to test the faith of others in the Fellowship. The only person she ever interrupts is herself.

In the Hobbit, we're presented with the equivalent of a board meeting where two bored co-workers are texting each other back and forth instead of paying attention to what's at stake. It's juvenile, and degrading not only to the characters of Gandalf and Galadriel, but Saruman as well.

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Like your namesake, Bacon, you are a delicious morsel of common sense and truth.

Random Comments likes this.
  16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Oh but then I beg to differ since said "texting" is between two people who know that the security of the world is at stake and take steps to support each other.

Master_Ysagon likes this.
  17. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    ahem sauron was the most powerful maia in middle urf

18. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Maiar is a plural. Is our children learning?

Then it was equally rude in The Fellowship of the Ring. Unless rudeness is somehow defined only by the presence of the truly arrogant.

19. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Saruman was droning on and on about why he doesn't like Radaghast while Gandalf is trying to explain how the greatest evil since Morgoth may be on the move. What we saw wasn't two co workers texting as much as two trying to get to work while another gossips about a fellow coworker who isn't there.

20. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    Read my post again:

Ender_Sai likes this.
  21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Congrats, you won a contest on an entirely created universe. Gosh your parents must be proud.

22. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    It doesn't get any better in re-runs.

This only works as a joke, not as a serious statement.

Master_Ysagon likes this.
  23. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    Cute.

Can you name a scene where Galadriel interrupts a conversation through telekinesis in The Fellowship of the Ring?

24. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    It's not "rude" because the fate of Middle-earth is at stake. And as has already been pointed out, the interrupted conversation is focused on important matters such as character assassination of Radagast and deliberately stalling the Council.

To believe that Galadriel is a character who places so-called "manners" above the fate of Middle-earth is to fundamentally misunderstand her character. It also betrays a telling ignorance of her backstory.

25. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    We are all still being friendly here, right? This is not Fett and the Sarlaac or the length of the Executor or anything. [face_peace]