main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Oddly enough, this is exactly how I felt about the not-so-good effects in the Hobbit. They snatched the odd snippet of my attention, but they certainly didn't bother me or pulled me out of the story.

I guess it also depends on whether you go see the film biased (in the "48fps is bound to be awful, I'm sure it will enhance the fakeness of the effects" way) or not. Because if you're expecting to be bothered by the occasional bad effect (and keep waiting for it, so to speak), then you probably will.

2. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Yeah, sure. It's very possible to notice bad effects in a film that you're enjoying and in which the film maker has engaged you. The issue is whether or not you fixate on it, or let it wash over you because you're having such a good time. Which is a personal judgement.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm on chapter 4 of the book. I do like it. But so far the film is better. [face_dunno]

4. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    There are fewer dodgy effects in the book. :p

Rew and Merlin_Ambrosius69 like this.
  5. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    And the Dwarves actually have personalities other than just being a set of 13 names to fill the required number... :p

6. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I am not detecting the different personalties in the book. They have different names and different colored cloaks. Some are called old and some new. Otherwise they are all the same. The book reads like a child's summary(Again this is not bad, I like what I am reading.) But the film does a far better job of showing how different each dwarf is.

Rew likes this.
  7. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    That's what I meant, I see now that my post wasn't very clear that I meant the film - in the book, they don't really have different personalities (except for Thorin, and maybe Balin). In film, they do (okay, not all of them have been fully developed yet - I'd say Thorin, Balin, Dwalin, Bofur, Kili, and to lesser extent Dori and Ori got the most of the development in this film, and the other Dwarves will get their chance in the next two films).

VadersLaMent likes this.
  8. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I thought perhaps that's what you meant so i tried to post neutral and such.

I do now see already how this will be like 9 hours of film from a fast 300 page book. Embelish possibly dramatic scenes. The whole goblin thing is like two quick pages yet it is a large (and enjoyable) part of the film.

9. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Yeah, Nori, Oin, Gloin and Bifur are pretty much background characters. Bifur I can understand, because of his little head ornament, but hopefully the next movies will develop the others more. Gloin, especially.

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'll be very surprised if they develop Bombur beyond fat jokes.

Really, though, I'm fine with half the dwarves doing and saying little. I like those ones Mar pointed out above, and they're really enough, though I'd throw in Fili's name too, since he and Kili seem to be the Merry and Pippin of this trilogy.

11. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    There will probably be fart jokes as well.

12. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Yeah, I do expect Glóin to get a larger share of screen time in films 2 and 3 - I think one of the behind the scenes photos showed him holding a picture of what's probably his wife and son, so I'd expect he'll talk about them to spell out the "Glóin is Gimli's father" bit for the more ignorant part of the audience. :p

13. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Toddler Gimli better have a longer beard than any of the dwarves in this company.

14. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Toddler Gimli should be played by the same guy as older Gimli.

15. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Yeah just cgi John Rhys Davies head onto a baby.

16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    "May the hairs on your toes never fall out."--My fav book line so far.

Mortimer Snerd and Mar17swgirl like this.
  17. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    I'm anxious to see/hear Beorn in the next film. His personality was illustrated beautifully in the book, through both dialog and context.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  18. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Oh yeah, I hope we get a glimpse of Beorn soon! [face_praying]

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  19. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Even noticeably bad effects don't have to be an issue. Plenty of classic movies and video games have very outdated obviously fake visuals but that doesn't make them bad.
    You just have to remember that you're watching movie more than you do with something that has far more RL-type visuals.

I do agree with those who said it was the inconsistency that bothered them. It is annoying if you have lots of good visuals and then a scene where they aren't so good, much more of an issue than with films where all the effects are at the same level.

20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I still liked the movie, but it's goddamn painful that it looks worse than LotR, though for me that's more because of the crappy Red digital camera look (as opposed to 35mm film or better digital). In most cases the CG effects weren't any worse (except Christopher Lee and some overuse) or were in fact better (Gollum) than LotR.

Bacon164 likes this.
  21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The only one of those names that I can even match to a face is Thorin.

22. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Oh come on. :p

23. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Ori's face makes me wince...so does the line about how he's "not afraid" of Smaug.

24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I cannot wait to see Beorn! That was one of my favorite parts of the book, really hope the movie gets him right!

Well the film includes a lot of stuff that Tolkien wrote about, and said was going on around the same time of the book. Once you get to the Misty Mountains and Gollum's cave is when the book picks up.

25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Kili's the hot one, right? Those others I have no idea about.