main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
  2. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Another note to say that, so far, my favourite tracks from the film score are those:

There's something in them which reminds me strongly of Gondor's theme (identifiable in ROTK during the lighting of the Beacons sequence a.k.a. The White Three track), at once wistful and stately, and it tugs at my heartstrings. I don't know if it's the association between the uilleann pipes and the drums (possibly with some bodhrans), but they certainly convey a masterfully emotional message...

Cheers,
    Lauré :)

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
  4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    [​IMG]

5. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    To the first, I answer that Elrond has been around Middle-Earth for many thousands of years, so I suppose that he may not have only the one suit of armour, and that he may also select the one ore appropriate for the occasion (light, medium or heavy protection, fighting on horse or foot, or both). What we saw in the movie might "only" be his "everyday", comfortable, serviceable armour.

And I personally hope we'll see Galadriel in full gear. Just so we can see how Elven women can fight, too...

Cheers,

GenAntilles likes this.
  6. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Ah yes, perhaps the silver armor is for Elvish cavalry and the gold is for infantry.

And yeah Galdriel in full armor would be nice.

7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Uh, I don't think that qualifies as "news on what might be next for middle earth once the hobbit is done". It's just Simon Tolkien saying that he thinks the only way The Hobbit is going to work is if Jackson does it his own way, then the article writer saying "There’ll be another trilogy! And then another! And another! And Another!!!" even though that in no way reflects what Simon Tolkien said.

I'm not so sure. ( For one thing, dragon fire can melt Rings of Power, just not the One Ring. )

8. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Well, black_saber has a history of exaggeration and irrational gushing, so no surprises there... :p

9. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    Still, I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the Tolkien household as Christopher and Simon debate the merits and pitfalls of the PJ adaptation... What an anthology piece it must be!

Cheers,

10. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I was wondering if Simon Tolkien was related, as a matter of fact.

Anyway, the article kinda cancels itself out right at the start when it mentions that Christopher is refusing to sell any further movie rights. Good luck making films without those :p

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    He's also ****ing 87 years old. Probably won't have to wait long if his heir(s) (would that be Simon?) have more charitable views ( [face_money_eyes]) .

12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That's what they said about Aragorn.

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  13. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Ohh starred-out cursing. :D

Anyway. He disowned Simon quite awhile ago; they've since reconciled, but given their public opposition on this matter I doubt Christopher has anything in his will about Simon getting the rights to the films.

14. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    It's all speculation at this point. The heir(s) who get the film licensing rights after Christopher passes may overturn his decision, or they may not. We may not see a Silmarillion film series for ten years or a hundred. [face_dunno]

15. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I think I'd be okay with that. :p

16. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I'd love to see a Silmarillion Trilogy. That way the Middle-earth films would get their own ST! [face_beatup]

17. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    Much as I'd like to see The Sil on the big screen, I think that the only way to do it justice would be to make a TV series like Game of Thrones. Otherwise there'd be no time to devote to characterization and the fleshing out of feats only barely described in the book. It would have the added benefit of flexibility for the actors, if some aren't able to reprise their roles (Cate Blanchett), or if some would like to take on other roles or do cameos (I'd love for Armitage to come back as Beren, for example - a lass can dream, can't she?).

Cheers,

18. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    People'll probably call me a heretic, but a video game series strikes me as almost a viable option. It'd be like Skyrim, but with an interesting story. :p

19. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Can I just get Battle for Middle Earth 3? But make it with the Silm?

Now i want to go replay Battle for Middle Earth 2...

DarthBoba likes this.
  20. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Yeah, adapting the Silmarillion (or even a select few stories) for the big screen would be, I fear, impossible. The stories are intertwined too much, too much material would need to be cut. A TV series (with a good budget and effects) would be much better medium for that.

21. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    The Silmarillion could be left alone and I'd be just fine.

This reminds me of Patton Oswald's rant about how every geek sacred cow has to be recycled and made mainstream nowadays.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  22. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Oh, I'd definitely prefer if the Silm was left unfilmed. However, if an adaptation were inevitable, I'd prefer a TV series (with a good budget, good writers who know and respect the material, and decent effects) over a film.

23. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I have sympathy with that general concern (although I've not read the rant).

I've no doubt that I would geek out if some section(s) of 'The Silmarillion', or 'Hurin', or whatever else from the Legendarium, were to come to the screen (there's so much that would be cool to see)... but if no more of Tolkien's works made the transition I would not feel a loss. I love PJ's films, but having just finished my (generously-termed) biennial re-reading of 'The Lord of the Rings', it became abundantly clear to me (as it always does) that they simply cannot compete with the books. Some people fresh to Tolkien will see PJ's films and, suddenly craving the source material, read the books... but I'd hazard most who have seen the films consider that to be The Lord of the Rings 'ticked off'. If the same were to happen to 'The Silmarillion', a text harder still to engage with, then that would be sad. So few people read it as it is. A TV series - whilst inevitably placing a good deal of awesomeness on screen - might succeed in marginalising its source material even more. Of course the reverse might be true; a TV series or movie might encourage more to try reading it, but even then I suspect almost all of those who start wouldn't get very far.

A screen adaptation of 'The Silmarillion' (or sections of it) would be interesting but it's hardly pressing. 'The Hobbit' and 'The Lord of the Rings', as we moved into an era of cinema where they could be attempted, were so. After all, they are Tolkien's best known tales of Middle-earth for good reason.

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Trilogy...? [face_hypnotized] That meglomaniac turned a book that takes an hour & a half to read and turned it into a film that takes 9 hours over the course of 2 years to watch. If Peter Jackson does a Silmarillion film, a person with an average normal healthy lifespan would not be capable of seeing the entirety during original release dates in their lifetime...

25. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Oh, and TH:AUJ got three Oscar nominations - Best Production Design, Best Visual Effects and Best Make Up And Hair. :)