main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Maybe it's just that I have the temperament of an Elf, but I can be very, very patient when it comes to buying DVDs. I did rent the LOTR EE a few times or borrow it from a friend, but at the end I waited a few years until the three-film boxed set went from 140$ to 40$. Even factoring in the cost of the rentals, it's still a lot less expensive than the original asking price. It's not always the case, but here, I say that good things come to those who wait.

In any case, I shouldn't like to pay for anything until the eventual fate of a Hobbit EE is settled. I almost always prefer the extended version of the films I've seen so far (like those of Ridley Scott's Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven), so I'd want to spend my money on something I will actually enjoy, rather than get a quick - and ultimately not as satisfying - fix that will at best temporarily stave off my hunger.

Cheers,
    Lauré :)

2. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    I just gave my LOTR EE DVD's to a friend who'd never seen them. The only reason I gifted the crown jewel of my DVD collection was because I acquired the Blu-Rays.

Anyway, like most chumps, I'll own the theatrical version to tide me over until the EE comes out.

black_saber and Healer_Leona like this.
  3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Oh, Everton is always up for a quick fix. It's why his right arm is so much more muscular than the left.

harpuah and Mortimer Snerd like this.
  4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I've never seen the LOTR EEs because I own the regular ones and don't want to spend the money. So I'll probably wait until Hobbit EE comes out and get it then--if reviews say it's worth it.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I haven't seen the theatrical versions in full since the EE's came out.

MrZAP and Miana Kenobi like this.
  6. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    My Hobbit blu-ray came in the mail today. And of course I'll buy the EE if it comes out too.

7. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Picked up the Hobbit and watched it yesterday. Once I acquire the EE, I'll gift these to my son like I did LOTR.

8. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    What could they EE with AUJ? Anyway, I bought the Blu-Ray today and I'm going to see if I liked it more than in the theaters. It definitely is the quintessential Peter Jackson film and I think the faults won over the strengths with AUJ. I will say this however I think in retrospect the film sort of grew on me in my thinking it over. Martin Freeman is fantastic in it.

9. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    Left arm here, but still...

[​IMG]

Diggy likes this.
  10. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Everton is left handed. :p

Everton and Mortimer Snerd like this.
  11. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    I still haven't purchased the Blu-Ray yet. Probably later today. Anyone pick it up yet? Anything particularly exciting?

12. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    so is the dvd and blu-ray shot in 24 per frame seconds?

13. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I haven't seen them since they were in the cinema.

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    My friend bought the DVD yesterday. I really don't know if I want to buy it at this point.

15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Well we know there are some scenes in the trailer that were either cut from the movie (Bilbo with the broken sword) or were either cut or may appear in flashbacks in future movies instead (Gandalf fighting Thorin's father in Dol Guldor).

16. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    I don't know what they did but the film definitely flows a lot better on home video. I remember the 2-D experience in the theaters kind of was mumbled and really painful to the eye like a Bay film.

17. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    Two viewings of it so far. I don't care what anyone says, this movie is beautiful. It's a pretty bare-bones Blu-Ray. No commentary track, and very little in the way of special features at all, save for the video blogs that we've all seen before.

If anything this bodes well for a pretty good EE.

18. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Is it confirmed that's who Gandalf is fighting in that scene, or is it still just a theory?

It looked mostly fine to me, as far as I can recall, with the exception of several moments in a few of the panning outdoor action scenes.

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Educated guess. Why else would Gandalf be fighting an old, insane-looking dwarf in the trailer for AUJ (and apparently didn't make it to the final cut)?

20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Gandalf was fighting Peter Jackson and was all like "STOP FOLLOWING ME YO"

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    This is completely random, but I just had the mental image of Hermione stepping up to the wardrobe with the boggart in PoA... and emerging from the wardrobe is Gandalf strutting out and shouting "You Shall Not Pass" while holding up a paper of Hermione failing all her exams ;)

Random Comments likes this.
  22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Are these references to an extended version of the Hobbit ironic?

23. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
  24. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I want the EE to have the dinner sequence with the dwarves to be as long as the Wedding from The Deer Hunter.

25. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Really? Nobody thought the 2-D Hobbit was painful to watch in the theaters? My sister and I both had a rough time with it. My eyes were hurting and I have excellent vision.