Amph The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, The Desolation of Smaug, Battle of the Five Armies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    No it doesn't. Tom Bombadil was also in Tokien's original stories, but there was no weird, pointless 40 minute interlude to visit him in the first LOTR film. Nor would it really have been defensible if it had. A major part of Jackson's task is reconfiguring Tolkien's story into one that would work well in a new medium. He failed in that task, and the result is a bloated, unenjoyable mess.

You may as well defend typos in a novel by saying the author put them their first, and copy editors simply failed to note them.We know that. The thing is, that's their whole job. The job they didn't do. Which is why people criticized it in the first place.
    Bacon164 likes this.
  2. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Bloated, yes.
    Unenjoyably, certainly not.

Does make your butt sore though :p
  3. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 8
    =D=
    Ender Sai likes this.
  4. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    Another tired all-or-nothing fallacy... So what's the problem with including things that have a point?
    And I hate to break it to you, but Middle-earth is kind of a weird place.
    Last edited by Arawn_Fenn, Aug 27, 2013
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
  6. vinsanity Jedi Grand Master

star 3
  7. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    Despite the hyperbole used, he's right, though.

:p
  8. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Just wanted to verify before I update the thread title- we don't have a separate thread for the next movie, right? I looked around but didn't see any, and while it's preferable to have a single thread for the series, I didn't want to duplicate an existing one by accident.
  9. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    No, we'll just use this one (could do with a thread title update, though...).
    Random Comments likes this.
  10. Random Comments Force Ghost

star 5
    Yes! Finally!

Thank you for updating the title!

I was too excited about that, wasn't I?
    The2ndQuest likes this.
  11. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV - Vacationing and stuff

Manager
    star 5
    OMG CHANGE I CANT DEAL WITH THIS
    [IMG]
  12. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
    All black and brown and covered with hair!
    Show Spoiler
    [IMG]
  13. Sandtrooper92 Jedi Master

star 2

Totally agree.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    Bacon164 likes this.
  14. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    This is not an adaptation of 1937's The Hobbit acting as if LOTR never existed. It would be more accurate to call it the era of The Hobbit as viewed through the lens of LOTR. As someone once said, the tale grew in the telling, and the Necromancer was retconned into Sauron. In light of LOTR that subplot is much more important.
    Last edited by Arawn_Fenn, Aug 30, 2013
    Mar17swgirl and laurethiel1138 like this.
  15. D-Ludicrous Force Ghost

star 1

Exactly right. PJ is taking the Hobbit and LOTR and making it into one whole 20 hour movie starting with The Hobbit:AUJ and ending with LOTR:ROTK. Just like the Star Wars PT and OT are connected and not 2 seperate trilogys.
  16. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    Except that even despite all its imperfections, AUJ >>>>>>>>>>>>> TPM.
    Last edited by Mar17swgirl, Aug 30, 2013
    vinsanity and Coruscant like this.
  17. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    With the exception of a some moments including Liam Neeson and Ian McDiarmid, TPM is abominable. With the exception of a few over-enthusiastic action sequences, some pacing issues and anything involving the Great Goblin, AUJ is pretty good.
  18. Coruscant Force Ghost

star 6
    You've given this a lot of thought, haven't you?
  19. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    That's because Jackson used existing dialogue written by someone who was good at it :p
    Mar17swgirl likes this.
  20. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    Oh yes.
  21. JoinTheSchwarz Comms Admin & Community Manager

Administrator
    star 8
    Nonsense. AUJ is at the very least as bad as TPM. And the special effects manage to, somehow, look worse.
  22. Coruscant Force Ghost

star 6
    I bet you have long leather bound journals with yellowed pages, filled with homemade black ink, that showcase your journey of discovery and how you processed your formation of your opinion the Hobbit movie. Don't you, Everton?
    Last edited by Coruscant, Aug 30, 2013
  23. Everton Chosen One

star 10
  24. Coruscant Force Ghost

star 6
    Well, I do. If one were to read through them, he would discovered how my opinion changed between pages 24 and 60 on the first hour in the Shire, with the dwarves and Gandalf trying in vain to enlist Bilbo, from a soft kind of enthusiasm to a pleasant opportunity to nap while waiting for more exciting bits to a renewed interest in the particular background details that fill up the screen.
  25. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    The good news is there's no reason parts 2 and 3 can't be better. Even though that zombie goblin genie character is a pain in the ass, the casting was solid. Thorin and Bilbo make a fun team. The Mirkwood segment at the very least plays to Jackson's core strengths as a filmmaker. That will likely be one of the highlights of the trilogy.

And then, of course the dragon attack on Lake Town and the battle of the five armies could rival anything we've seen in Return of the King for cinematic spectacle.

Plenty of reason for hope. Best just to write off unexpected journey as a shaky start. LOTR had the opposite problem. Fellowship was the undisputed masterpiece of the trilogy, which increasingly succumbed to bloat and overkill through the last two films.