Amph The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, The Desolation of Smaug, Battle of the Five Armies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    As a major Enya fan, I resent this.:p But honestly maybe I've just been listening to her too long, but I can't tell much of a difference between "May It Be" and her other stuff. It's mainly New Age and/or choral.
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    Well, after reading his FB comment to the video, I'm not too sure... He does mention that it was his daughter who suggested this particular singer - who knows, maybe he simply bowed down to her and let her have her way... Question is, would this singer be his first choice had his daughter not mentioned it?

Because all the other songs are both a) good musically and lyrically, and b) fit their film. They were memorable. "I See Fire" is neither memorable nor good. Plus, the singer doesn't seem to know what "desolation" mean, otherwise he wouldn't have written a line like "desolation comes upon the sky" and other "gems".
    Everton likes this.
  3. yankee8255 Force Ghost

star 6
    I was watching the 2 and a half minute sneak peak that PJ has on his facebook page, is it just me or is the "shortening" effect they use to make the hobbits and dwarves look shorter than the elves and humans starting to wear thin? every time they showed Thorin, it looked like Armitage had shrunk in the dryer.
  4. laurethiel1138 Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, "desolation" can also mean, as per dictionary.com, "sorrow, grief, woe" (number 7), even before its meaning of "a desolate place" (number 8), so I don't see how it doesn't fit with the lyrics, in the sense that with Smaug came much sorrow for both Dwarves and Men, who suffered much grief by the woes wrought upon them by the dragon that "[came] upon the sky" that day. It's a poetic figure (to take the effect or part of the object to represent the whole), and for the life of me I don't understand how it can be wrong.

Anyhow, and on another subject, here are yet more posters:

Bilbo: http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug-cbf4d050.jpg
    Bard: http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug-97be4e0d.jpg
    Thorin: http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug-59bac723.jpg
    Legolas and Tauriel: http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug-c9ce30aa.jpg
    Gandalf: http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug-9d2247a6.jpg

Lauré :)
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  5. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    Oh so kind of like the horrific moment when Lucas's daughter almost convinced him to cast N'Sync in AOTC?
  6. Bacon164 Force Ghost

star 7
    This wasn't any worse than the song in the last film (which was bad).
    Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  7. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 7
    I didn't particularly love the song in the last movie. It certainly wasn't the masterpiece that I'd hoped it would be. All three songs from the first trilogy are stupendously good.

This new one, which I only listened to half of (and I think I got the gist) seems fine if, again, not at all great. I think, all things considered, I might like it more than the one from the last oe actually.
  8. laurethiel1138 Force Ghost

star 4
    There is also the fact that, according to IMDB, they cast Robin Kerr as Elros for both TDOS and TABA:
    [IMG]

And on the TABA cast list, there is a mysterious character named Feren (i.e. not in any Tolkien database that I know of, and which spelling is similar to that of "Beren") who is played by Simon London:
    [IMG]

I may be grasping at straws here, but he seems to be quite alike Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn:
    [IMG]

Now, why mention Elros at all if there is no mention of his descendants? Or is it that they'll include him in flashbacks with Thranduil anbd Elrond? I just find it very strange, and am eager to have an answer somewhere down the line.

9. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    Is Elros mentioned in LOTR at all? Because if not, they can't use him, they don't have the rights to the characters from the Silmarillion.

And I wouldn't be too quick to trust IMDB when it comes to casting - it's like Wikipedia, anyone can edit it.
  10. tom Chosen One

star 6
    is it possible that elros is a new character that just shares a name with elrond's brother? tying the story of the hobbit to the first king of numenor seems like a stretch even for pj.
  11. laurethiel1138 Force Ghost

star 4
    Elros is mentioned in the first few pages of the LOTR Appendixes (even detailing his story and lastly using his kingly name of Elros Tar-Minyatur), so PJ would be within his right to use the character. So who knows what may happen at the end of TABA? Maybe they have an epilogue of sorts to bridge the gap between the two trilogies...

12. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    Oh yeah, the Appendices... Well, the only point of Elros I can see would be a brief flashback to the Kings of Númenor to explain Aragorn's bloodline (perhaps with a glimpse of young Estel running around Rivendell) to tie the trilogies together. But even that is too much of a stretch, I'd say this is simply false info that someone posted on IMDB.
  13. laurethiel1138 Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, maybe as Galadriel, Elrond and Gandalf realise that the Necromancer is, in fact, the Big Bad Wolf himself, there will be some mention of "the last hope of Middle-Earth" as they realise what burdens they must lay on young Estel's shoulders. I guess we'll see how it goes in little more than one year.

14. black_saber Force Ghost

star 4
    I just bought the Extended editon of The Hobbit an unexpected journey yesterday and I got to say, it makes the movie even better.

What I was right about and how I noticed the scenes that where not in the original cut and I was right about 13 mins/182 seems alot longer then that. Maybe like an extra 30 mins longer.

You guys should check out the extended cut its really good.
  15. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    No I don't want to waste money.
    Rogue1-and-a-half and Bacon164 like this.
  16. Random Comments Force Ghost

star 5
    *cough*libraries are your friend*cough*
  17. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    Hey my best friend was killed by a library!
  18. Legolas Skywalker Force Ghost

star 6

The Hobbit isn't a waste of money :p
  19. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    YOU'RE A WAST OF MONEYYYYYYYY
    Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  20. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    I'd welcome a glimpse of Estel, a sighting, perhaps someone could identify him by name... but nothing more. No mention of exactly who he is what he might become. That would be too much foreshadowing.
    Last edited by Everton, Nov 7, 2013
    Mar17swgirl likes this.
  21. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    Dramatic Thranduil iz dramatic:

[IMG]

Gingerhaze'd as well:

[IMG]
  22. laurethiel1138 Force Ghost

star 4
  23. Jarren_Lee-Saber Force Ghost

star 4
  24. yankee8255 Force Ghost

star 6
    The beauty of having the Kindle edition. "Elros" comes up 5 timesall in the Appendices. I had thought there might bbe a mention of hte name in a song, or a refernce to the "line of Elros" in the regular text, butn o.

Not sure a flsashback really fits here, even with Jackson adding extensive elements from the overall War of the Rings story. Would have fit far better in LOTR, imo.
  25. Lugija Force Ghost

star 4
    It could of course be just some background elf, named after the famous Elros.

What about that horn-blower elf in the sneak peek? He could be some kind of "sidekick" character for the named elves like Madros was for Faramir. If he is, it's likely that his name isn't even said aloud in the movie.