main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I didn't really care for either of the Hobbit films. I don't like the pacing, the way the motion of the camera is handled, the manner of the characters or even the tone of the tale. it seemed amazingly shallow and petty. About the only things I did like were the real animals, the landscapes and Smaug.

2. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    I'd love to know how much the dragon wrangler was paid...

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I saw TDoS tonight. I enjoyed it more than Unexpected Journey, seemed like the pacing was faster or the dwarves spent less time in barrels or something.

Smaug was frightening enough (great VA by Cumberbatch there) and I actually enjoyed the rounds between him and Bilbo. I also liked the Lake-town scenes and Bard himself.

Tauriel was a badass and I enjoyed her scenes for the most part, although I could have lived without the romantic allusions.

It's been a very long time since I read the book and I didn't remember what was in it and what wasn't...but I did remember the lack of elves. Legolas had to be there because he's still the prettiest or something I guess.

And what a spot for an ending. My sons are already making guesses as to how soon in the next film that Smaug will die.

4. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    While I agree with a lot of the sentiment (especially the Gandalf vs. Sauron subplot that screams "contractual obligation"), I kind of disagree on Tauriel.

Despite being a character created solely for the movie (*cough*Brave/Hunger Games marketing cash-grab*cough*), Evangeline Lilly did pretty good in the role and she was easily one of the better parts of the movie. That being said, I kind of wish her involvement would have ended at the barrel escape, and more time had been spent on the main characters.
    Aside from Thorin, all of the dwarves are pretty much forgettable. They're not really "characters", so much as they are "adjectives".
    Fat Dwarf, Grumpy Dwarf, Lovesick Dwarf, Exposition Dwarf, etc.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    They have more individuality in the movies than they do in the book, though.

6. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I liked the elderly Dwarf and Kili a bit. To me they were characters and fairly likable but I thought the love triangle thing was lame and rather thought it was too earlier for Legolas.

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    So, what does everyone think the fates of Tauriel and Radagast will be?

And who will give the death-blows to
    Thorin, Fili, Kili, Azog, and Bolg?

And will more Dwarves, and possibly other characters, die? I could see them changing the fate of the Master of Lake-town too.

I think Beorn kills Bolg in the book, but even that could be changed. [/spoilers]

8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Well the way TDOS ended

I could see

Legolas killing Bolg

9. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Radagast survives into LotR. He alerted the eagles of Gandalf's whereabouts in Saruman's tower.

10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I don't think that will happen, Gandalf has the moth thing going on. And Gandalf is using Radagast's staff in FotR.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  11. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    Peter Jackson sure damn loves Carrots! ;)

12. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    The Middle-earth movies are all about healthy eating. We see the characters eating carrots, apples, grapes, tomatoes, roast chicken, bacon, sausage, rabbits, and even LEMBAS BREAD.

And then of course there's Eowyn's nasty stew.
    [​IMG]

Darkslayer and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  13. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    That looks likes soggy biscuit stew. [face_sick]

14. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    So, you've encountered soggy biscuit stew?

15. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    *rolls dice*

Soggy Biscuit Stew deals 10 Stomach Cancer damage.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  16. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    I have to say the movie doesn't do justice to the book at all. Great for the short attention span generation though

Sent from my SGH-T989 using TapatalkI have 2

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope Legolas dies in part III, and there's absolutely no explanation for why he's in the LOTR trilogy. That should keep the fans busy.

18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

What?

19. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
  20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
  21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i watched this yesterday. i guess i can't decide if it wasn't an adaptation of the hobbit if it would have been an enjoyable movie. but it is an adaptation of the hobbit, a fact that's impossible to ignore, and at that it fails pretty miserably. were there even five minutes worth of scenes that actually happened in the novel? every time legolas or tauriel appeared on the screen i had to fight the urge to audibly groan. smaug was cool, but the entirely unnecessary added sequence of the dwarves escaping from him took so long that i started to nod off. i guess people liked this one because it had more action, but the action in these movies is always the same, to the point where it actually becomes the most boring part.

22. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I kind of agree. One of the best parts of LOTR is how much dialogue and slow scenes they had. It had purpose. The hobbit ones all want to be TTT nonstop.

23. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I wonder if there will be a fan edit once the 3rd one is released on DVD, that cuts it down into a single movie that just uses the parts from the novel?

harpua and Rew like this.
  24. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    The Hobbit: The Hobbit Version.

25. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Gandalf only uses Rad's staff for the second half of the film, after he escapes Saruman.
    [​IMG]

So if Radagast is in fact dead...it probably won't happen during The Hobbit series, as Gandalf would know about it.

EDIT -- Or, while Gandalf was reincarnated as a superior version of himself....Radagast gets reincarnated as the moth.....

My scenario: Eagles rescue Gandalf from the fortress, he seeks out Radagast, finds that Radagast is weakened and dying, to which Rads passes the baton, literally.
    (presumably just before telling Gandalf that he's got a long lost twin sister and fading away into a ghost)

Which I'm sure we will see on the "49.5 Hour Blue Ray 6-Movie Saga Edition" special features.