main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Yeah, Christopher Tolkien hates Peter Jackson's movies, and holds the rights to any other material that could be adapted. A wiki search revealed that he is 89 though. Not intending to be callous, but do we know who the rights go to after he passes?

Darkslayer and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Wouldn't the rights go to his kids?

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  4. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I don't understand why he and some "hardcore" fans hate the movies so much. Among most of the classic novels' movie adaption, LotR is at least top 3. Sure there were changes but mostly due to
    1 Movie and novel are different ways to show the story.
    2 Even the novels aren't perfect.

Darkslayer and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  5. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

That's not the only way how inheritance works. It would go to whomever is specified in his will.

If he feels that giving the license to his kids wouldn't be best for his father's legacy chances are he'll have something planned.

6. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    The scene where Bilbo first meets Smaug has already been uploaded onto YT:

"Come, don't be shy. Step into the light. There is something about you...something you carry...something made of gold...but far more precious."

I must say that the Smaug interaction scenes with Bilbo were definitely the highlights of the film for me. But the film did seem to drag at parts, possibly due to all the extraneous subplots extending a single novel and some appendix material into a full-blown trilogy, such that I began to wonder when Bilbo would finally encounter Smaug... There were a lot of things that made for good action, but seemed to take away from the spirit of the books, or even the first film, where Bilbo Baggins was more the focus, the cornerstone character. But here in TDoS, I thought he was practically overshadowed by other characters that played less of a role in the novel, like Gandalf going over to Dol Guldur and encountering the Necromancer, or even characters that didn't show up at all in the novel (Legolas and Tauriel, who admittedly was fun to watch). There were also copious amounts of foreshadowing of LotR (including the quote from the scene I just posted), which frankly I felt was largely unnecessary. I honestly wasn't sure why the Kili/Tauriel subplot was necessary as well. But I guess we'll see the resolution in There and Back Again. Basically, a lot of scene-stealing from secondary characters, and even Thorin seemed to overshadow Bilbo at times. It's no coincidence that my favorite scenes in the film involved Bilbo, and his interaction with Smaug. As usual, Benedict Cumberbatch doesn't disappoint.

Regardless, overall I enjoyed the film...one of the highlights of 2013 for me. Could have been shorter though. And the ending cliffhanger certainly was abrupt.

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Seriously?

1) PIrates was all depp. Evidenced by the fact they kept going... without Bloom.
    2) Kingdom of Heaven was let down by how bad he was.
    3) If only Orlando and his mom (not even Miranda Kerr, SNAP) have seen them does it count?

8. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    1) Pirates was mostly Depp - but Bloom, Rush, and Nighy added greatly to it. Evidenced by the fact that Pirates 4 was total ***t
    2) Kingdom of Heaven was let down by how much was cut out for cinemas - watch the directors cut, its brilliant.
    3) Troy made nearly 500 mil at the BO. Clearly people went to see it. And nearly every famous actor has a slew of roles that no one remembers. Even the best of them.

9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    So basically, are you saying Bloom's a good actor?

Here's a test - complete this sentence for me by filling in the blank:

"George Lucas' edits to the original Star Wars trilogy greatly _______ the films."

10. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    The only version of Kingdom of Heaven I have ever seen is the Director's Cut. Honestly, it was still pretty silly. Probably because the director's intended image of the appropriate role of religion in a multicultural society was an entirely modern one that they didn't even bother to try to fit into the context of the story they were supposedly telling.

11. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
  12. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Honestly you sound like a Nazi who knows nil about editing.

13. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

Anything that excises the romantic subplot between "Suspiciously Handsome Dwarf" and "Fabricated Elf She-Badass" will be superior.

Also Bloom's career petered out severely when he had to carry a film himself (Kingdom of Heaven). Now he's been dumped in favour of James Packer - sad.

Also, at least Mark Hamill got to be in a Sam Fuller film. Respect. Harrison Ford also did quite nicely for himself.

14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Smaug = Awesome!

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Darkslayer like this.
  15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Orblando Bloom also has the unfortunate habit of not being a good enough actor and the charisma of your grandmother's walking stick.

16. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Orlando Bloom is a hot guy who makes movies about hacking and slashing people up. His acting skills are irrelevant to his success.

TBH though I think he has the face of a butt but to each their own.

Ender Sai likes this.
  17. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    I felt Bloom was wooden in TDOS compared to his performance in LOTR. He's good in Pirates, but wooden again in KOH. TBH, I felt the best character in KOH was Baldwin IV; shame they couldn't give Edward Norton more of a role. He really did well with the limited screen time he had, especially in the scene where Baldwin confronts Saladin outside Kerak.

18. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Why couldn't Edward Norton play Legolas instead? Then I would've given DOS 6.74 out of 5 stars.

19. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    "George Lucas' edits to the original Star Wars trilogy greatly enhanced the films."

20. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I would guess his oldest son, who is a fan of the movies. They had a big argument but recently reconciled.

21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Dwarf barrel rolling thing was pretty over the top but was still pretty funny

Darkslayer likes this.
  22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    But it went on too damn long.

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Like I said, over the top.

24. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    No he wasn't. He just stands there spouting off lines to all the real actors. Most cringeworthy is his "act of mercy" line after he gets whipped by Stellan Skarsgard. He just belts it out there with no thought or emotion behind it.

Watch it again....you don't know if he's confused or angry or what.

And, despite just getting beaten, he's back to his normal self....no pain in his voice at all.

25. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

And one of the best action scenes created for film.